• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
the gardener

British holiday bookings to France plummet

3 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

It is probably several reasons.

1. Weak Pound.

2. Project Fear.

3. Terrorism.

4. Macron saying nasty things about us.

5. Perhaps the videos and pictures of masses of migrants has begun to get through to the general public.

Number three for me. I want to relax on holiday, not look over my shoulder all the time 

Just now, One percent said:

Number three for me. I want to relax on holiday, not look over my shoulder all the time 

I think word of mouth can put people off from travelling to certain places as you tend to believe someone that has actually been to a place rather than media spin.

My wife and I travelled on the train from London to Warsaw during the migrant crisis and I have warned anyone going to Belgium and Germany to watch what they are doing in those countries especially around railway stations.

I wished that I had visited those countries before they were improved by cultural enrichment.

It's dodgy getting through Calais. I had a crowd of illegals run across the dual carriageway in front of my car this summer. Was fortunate to miss them. Worries about terrorism. Also eating out in France, in particular , seems much more expensive then I remember before ( weak pound) .The motorways are great though, albeit you have to pay!

Just now, M S E Refugee said:

I think word of mouth can put people off from travelling to certain places as you tend to believe someone that has actually been to a place rather than media spin.

My wife and I travelled on the train from London to Warsaw during the migrant crisis and I have warned anyone going to Belgium and Germany to watch what they are doing in those countries especially around railway stations.

I wished that I had visited those countries before they were improved by cultural enrichment.

I have a huge list of places I would not bother visiting. Then there are the places that I know nothing of. I’m not prepared to take the risk. YORKSHIRE is beautiful but best to avoid the conurbations to the west 

37 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

It is probably several reasons.

1. Weak Pound.

2. Project Fear.

3. Terrorism.

4. Macron saying nasty things about us.

5. Perhaps the videos and pictures of masses of migrants has begun to get through to the general public.

Number 5 would be the main deterrent for me although number 3 might also impinge to some extent as well.  Although there's been terrorism in the past the current version seems to be particularly brutal as well as random. 

If I go to a place like France I expect to encounter mainly French people and that's about it. 

If I wanted the African or middle east experience I would go to those places for it.

Edited by twocents

I'm not going to the EU on holiday next summer.   Reason?  IMO they're going to beat the hell out of the Brit going through passport control.  The queues will be to kingdom come and every man and his dog* are going to have their luggage checked for, well, anything.

They'll sort it out soon enough -- as soon as the Med countries complain loudly enough -- but until then it'll be hell.

[* sorry, no dogs.  Banned]

Presumably they all lost loads of money in the Summer. With the Summer the UK had I don't think anyone with any sense went abroad. 2 weeks off in the UK gave you 80+ degree termperatures every day.

1 minute ago, Errol said:

Presumably they all lost loads of money in the Summer. With the Summer the UK had I don't think anyone with any sense went abroad. 2 weeks off in the UK gave you 80+ degree termperatures every day.

Not sure the good weather here would be a factor. People normally book summer holidays well in advance. 

1 hour ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Full of French. Spoilt it. That has been solved now - less French live there these days.

feels like home,full of africans....id love more africakans here mind they can even bring there guns

I did love going on holiday to France. Last holiday there was to the Basque region years ago. Would consider going there again - it wasn't enriched at the time. Wouldn't bother with Paris or the Med though (becoming shitholes when I last went in 2007/2008)