• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Great Guy

68 days to christmas

Why don't we celebrate the true meaning of Christmas by not buying Chinese plastic tat? In this day and age if you don't have something it's probably because you don't want it.

We should celebrate Christmas in true dosbods style by posting here on Christmas Day telling everyone how normal a day it is for you and how little you've spent.

1 minute ago, Great Guy said:

Why don't we celebrate the true meaning of Christmas by not buying Chinese plastic tat? In this day and age if you don't have something it's probably because you don't want it.

We should celebrate Christmas in true dosbods style by posting here on Christmas Day telling everyone how normal a day it is for you and how little you've spent.

I can predict that my Xmas day will be like last year. No cards sent and only a few received, no decorations, no tv and no presents although I do give my son, daughter and my nephews two kids cash.

Christmas to me is just a consumerism date on the calendar and I don’t feel any need to join in because it means nothing to me. I will enjoy a nice meal with my grown up kids at home, walk with dogs and a relaxing day though.

I prefer celebrating the winter solstice and daylight hours starting to increase.

I started am amazon basket for Christmas and it went past £600 without me even trying. Mostly presents for the kids, German go karts, a couple of Fire tablets, and memory cards for them and some cool diggers and this amazing crane :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bruder-3570-Scania-Liebherr-Crane/dp/B003297I1U

Food and drink to buy, plus yet more presents.

Probably quite a bit over a grand and that's with me not going mad. Gonna have to work fast and well to gather all those pennies.

I love Christmas though, and we don't treat ourselves and the kids to much during the year.

Scary there are only 68 days to go. 

1 hour ago, Van Lady said:

I can predict that my Xmas day will be like last year. No cards sent and only a few received, no decorations, no tv and no presents although I do give my son, daughter and my nephews two kids cash.

Christmas to me is just a consumerism date on the calendar and I don’t feel any need to join in because it means nothing to me. I will enjoy a nice meal with my grown up kids at home, walk with dogs and a relaxing day though.

I prefer celebrating the winter solstice and daylight hours starting to increase.

It sounds like my ideal Christmas. I'm getting better at avoiding it with every passing year, I knew it was near last year  due to the expiry date on my bottle of milk. 

I'm not really a scrooge as I like the idea of being around family at Christmas to an extent I just hate the consumerism. 

It strikes me that people have no intention of getting into the spirit this early on, this year. Usually people around me are already buzzing by the end of October. I’ve not started doing anything and it’s really nice. I’m actually glad my lot are getting older. My eldest, 21, moved out last week. Changes are afoot in Chez Battenberg. I’m looking forward to not looking forward to Christmas until a week before. 

1 minute ago, Battenberg said:

It strikes me that people have no intention of getting into the spirit this early on, this year. Usually people around me are already buzzing by the end of October. I’ve not started doing anything and it’s really nice. I’m actually glad my lot are getting older. My eldest, 21, moved out last week. Changes are afoot in Chez Battenberg. I’m looking forward to not looking forward to Christmas until a week before. 

I think you are right.

For me, Christmas will start at noon when i peel the first spud and finish when I pass out at about 10pm. The company and the food are all that matter.

Mrs Plan, will, however, have turned the place into Santa's grotto by mid December.

30 minutes ago, Option5 said:

Christmas, it's cold and there's nothing to do 'cause everywhere is closed. Bah humbug!

Scrooge was a badly misunderstood man and his rehabilitation is long overdue.

He was a careful man, successful at business and employed a number of people.

That wretched hack Dickens absolutely ruined his life with a ridiculous ghost story that he plagiarised from old Mother Moore's almanac.

Its bollarx had my 3 year old xmas eve and did this for my dinner.i loathe cooking and ironicly at the age of 53 ive done my first ever bit of cooking today in the oven it was a 99p pitza from tesco.my fry up was the best xmas dinner ive ever had with low amounts of effert .i did do some duck eggs and black pudding has well.it took 15 mins to fry up and 10 minnutes to eat and 5 mins to clean up after.your avarage person will spend at least 7 hours with a turkey eyc.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by stokiescum

29 minutes ago, leonardratso said:

your meat is long and thin.

the black pudding wasnt,but to be fair just got a couple of single malts from aldi or lidl for 17 quid each.i went to work last xmas day night and im doing the same this year

Xmas preparation involves sending 3 cards to keep the aunt’s and sister happy (I buy a box of 10 every three years so keeps the cost down to what I hope is within dosbodders limits), and dropping a crate of Bud and a bottle of port round to my friends for Xmas day.

Xmas day tradition of many years – walking the 4 miles over to the friend’s house in the morning just listening to my music (there’s hardly a soul or cars about Xmas morning – bliss) just in time for the local pub opening. A couple of pints with him in there whilst the dinner is cooking, then back to his for dinner with his wife, father and daughter. A few other friends over in the evening and board games until late and then taxi home. No television goes on, no gifts exchanged, not a mobile phone in sight and we don’t leave the kitchen all day. A day I look forward to every year – spending time with good friends.