• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Wight Flight

Things you wish you didn't know.

5 minutes ago, Horrified Onlooker said:

Thanks Spunko! I will be giving lunch a miss today!

No worries! To be honest this thread reminded me of something at horticultural college, the tutor kept implying that she'd never eat figs but annoyingly, she would never say why as she didn't want to put us off. For anyone wondering, it's explained here - basically you're eating baby wasps.

10 minutes ago, spunko said:

I've actually done that.

xD

I don't think anybody believes that it actually makes the baby better. It's just a way of clearing a snotty baby's nose, so that they might actually stop crying and go to sleep.

You can get special syringes that are supposed to help clear their nose, but they don't fucking work.

31 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

I used to love going out for a curry.

But since learning more about the culture, beliefs and practices of most 'Indian' restaurants, every time I think I will go for one I just think 'Na, don't think I will'

I know I couldn't enjoy it anymore knowing what I now know.

Agreed. You can't trust them. I've pretty much given up on takeaway except Fish/Chips and that's only when I'm in the UK.

You have the advantage of being a good cook so can enjoy a good curry at home if you have all the ingredients, which can be a bit numerous and obscure for Indian stuff.  I only know how to make basic Thai red curries, but they're my favourites anyway.

3 minutes ago, SpectrumFX said:

I've actually done that.

xD

I don't think anybody believes that it actually makes the baby better. It's just a way of clearing a snotty baby's nose, so that they might actually stop crying and go to sleep.

You can get special syringes that are supposed to help clear their nose, but they don't fucking work.

Yeah my missus used to do it. Bleurgh. I still kiss her and allow her to perform other oral tasks, surprisingly.

Edited by swiss_democracy_for_all

3 minutes ago, spunko said:

No worries! To be honest this thread reminded me of something at horticultural college, the tutor kept implying that she'd never eat figs but annoyingly, she would never say why as she didn't want to put us off. For anyone wondering, it's explained here - basically you're eating baby wasps.

Well that's my packet of fig biscuits going in the bin.

xD

22 minutes ago, spunko said:

It's actually both. This page explains it, although it isn't really worth worrying about.

https://animals.howstuffworks.com/insects/fig-wasp2.htm

When a female wasp dies inside an edible fig, an enzyme in the fig

called ficin breaks down her carcass into protein. The fig basically digests the dead insect, making it a part of the resulting ripened fruit. The crunchy bits in figs are seeds, not anatomical parts of a wasp.

I'm just not going to eat fig biscuits for another 12 years.

4 hours ago, spunko said:

Very interesting, I’m glad I know that now because I didn’t until I read the link.

I don’t eat many figs but it wouldn’t put me off eating them after learning how they are grown.

10 hours ago, spunko said:

I had my first figs in over a decade just three weeks ago.

I would probably still eat then though, as long as I managed to forget what I read there. Interesting though.

10 minutes ago, Malthus said:

That Sam Fox prefers the ladies 

Well, I never knew that. Wow.

Doesn't quite fit with this (lovely 80s-style tune from this year)

Mind you maybe it explains why the "hot boy" isn't so, um, hot.

She still looks amazing. Lots of fun.