• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Cunning Plan

Things you wish you didn't know.

6 minutes ago, DTMark said:

That most cheap cheese is mixed with bits of cows' stomachs to make it thicken.

As a vegetarian I can check and avoid this but it's a revolting practice.

Urgh. I just checked my Sainsbury extra muture cheddar and it says ingredients : cow's milk.

What should I be looking for?

Edited by Cunning Plan

4 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Rennet? I thought it was used in nearly all cheese.

Now it gets interesting. I knew I couldn't serve my vegetarian friend parmesan, but it appears the Feta was a bit of a faux pas.

Edited by Cunning Plan

6 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Urgh. I just checked my Sainsbury extra muture cheddar and it says ingredients : cow's milk.

What should I be looking for?

Swiss is right.

Rennet.

It won't say "chopped up bits of cows".

Just now, Cunning Plan said:

Now it gets interesting. I knew I couldn't serve my vegetarian friend parmesan, but it appears the Feta was a bit of a faux pas.

It depends on how strict the vegetarian is.

And whether they even know the disgusting things our food industry does for cash.

11 minutes ago, DTMark said:

That most cheap cheese is mixed with bits of cows' stomachs to make it thicken.

As a vegetarian I can check and avoid this but it's a revolting practice.

That's rennet isn't it, an extract from cows' stomachs and how cheese has always been made

Just now, Panther said:

That's rennet isn't it, an extract from cows' stomachs and how cheese has always been made

It doesn't have to be.

I presume it's just cheaper to use bits of dead things than to use an alternative or synthesised product.

Plenty of vegetarian options now.

1 minute ago, Happy Renting said:

So what's your beef?

;)

It's that most people would assume that cheese is a product that does not contain animals.

5 minutes ago, DTMark said:

Swiss is right.

Rennet.

And whether they even know the disgusting things our food industry does for cash.

Turns out they weren't that strict at all.

Which was a bugger as I had sourced vegetarian parmesan and wine.

But it's the thought that counts.

Just now, Cunning Plan said:

Indeed. And a nice one. Good for you.

OK, I shall drop a secret - in that while I've been a vegetarian for 22 years, I did try eating chicken and fish for a few days when I was on an elimination diet fairly recently. Because with that diet, being vegetarian, there is almost nothing to eat.

Chicken is dry and not as nice as seasoned Quorn. And fish is just as fecking rancid as it ever was.

I'm not allergic to them but have no ongoing desire to eat any more.

I was on a warship off the Iraqi coast. We got a lecture one day...

It went like this: 

lecturer: "watch out for the Iranians, if they capture you they will bum fuck you."

me: "wtf? They never told me about this in the recruiting office".

lecturer: "it's a medical fact that 70% of men that are bum fucked get an erection".

me: "Jesus Christ, what am I doing here?".

lecturer: "70% of that 70% will ejaculate when they are bum fucked".

me: *stunned silence*

lecturer: "so just remember lads, if you are captured and bum fucked and you ejeaculate it doesn't mean you are gay". 

1 minute ago, Cunning Plan said:

I'll let you into a secret.

You don't know how to cook chicken.

😁😁😁

:)

I put it in the oven for however long it said to cook it for.

And then tried to disconnect what I saw going into the oven uncooked and what came out of it.

Then ate most of it without trying to taste it.

Then I brushed my teeth afterwards.

11 minutes ago, DTMark said:

Swiss is right.

Rennet.

Rennet is the enzyme that calves produce to help them digest the milk. I believe they get it by pressing one of the glands in the calf's stomach, rather than by 'chopping it up'.

But they're killing the calves anyway, so it makes sense to use it- they don't kill the calves purely to get the rennet, they kill them because male dairy calves are an unwanted byproduct of dairy farming. I know you're a vegetarian because you find the idea of eating animals repulsive, but really from a moral perspective it would make more sense to either carry on eating cheese, or avoid dairy products in their entirety, because killing the male calves is simply how the industry operates, and has done for a long time.

1 minute ago, DTMark said:

And then tried to disconnect what I saw going into the oven uncooked and what came out of it.

Sounds exactly like what would happen if i tried to be gay.

Best you stick to the vegetables and leave the chicken to me.

12 hours ago, Cunning Plan said:

I used to love going out for a curry.

But since learning more about the culture, beliefs and practices of most 'Indian' restaurants, every time I think I will go for one I just think 'Na, don't think I will'

I know I couldn't enjoy it anymore knowing what I now know.

most are ran by pakis,i once asked one why it wasnt labled has a pakistani resturant and he simply said would you eat here if it was ...indians are generaly well liked.yet ironicly india and pakistan dont get on.

10 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Sounds exactly like what would happen if i tried to be gay.

Best you stick to the vegetables and leave the chicken to me.

What surprised me was how familiar it was. It is not as if you forget what meat tastes like. It was exactly as I remembered it.

But that was back in the day when every meal would consist of one of several meats and some veg as an afterthought on the side. It's easy to think of vegetarianism as being limited, and of course it is, necessarily so. But it doesn't feel like it.

I gave the rest of the fish and chicken to the cats. They enjoyed it.

19 minutes ago, DTMark said:

Indeed. And a nice one. Good for you.

OK, I shall drop a secret - in that while I've been a vegetarian for 22 years, I did try eating chicken and fish for a few days when I was on an elimination diet fairly recently. Because with that diet, being vegetarian, there is almost nothing to eat.

Chicken is dry and not as nice as seasoned Quorn. And fish is just as fecking rancid as it ever was.

I'm not allergic to them but have no ongoing desire to eat any more.

15 minutes ago, DTMark said:

:DIn the interests of fairness if you ever try that again I think you should eat high-quality chicken cooked by an expert and something like a fresh piece of brill cooked by an expert.

1 minute ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

:DIn the interests of fairness if you ever try that again I think you should eat high-quality chicken cooked by an expert and something like a fresh piece of brill cooked by an expert.

Agreed. Marinade the chicken overnight in yoghurt and spices and then skewer and grill.

It won't be dry.

And salt bake a whole sea bass. Nothing like it.

6 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Agreed. Marinade the chicken overnight in yoghurt and spices and then skewer and grill.

It won't be dry.

And salt bake a whole sea bass. Nothing like it.

I doubt I'll ever try it again.

Among the most stunning things I've ever eaten was a veg lasagne in a tiny little authentic local restaurant in Amsterdam (called "Burgers Patio").

Absolutely incredible. Nothing like the shite that comes in packs to put in the oven for half an hour or the microwave if you're in a rush. Just exceptional. As was the mint, orange and beetroot starter.

Pizza and pasta from Casa di David and also from an award-winning top pizza restaurant - also both in Amsterdam.

Those piss all over my best experiences of eating meat.

Mind you those were a long time ago. The thing I used to like was a Big Mac but I very much doubt I'd be able to force myself to eat one of those now.

The cats had a week of excitement, anyway. They loved it all.

Returning thread to original theme, if Carl ever gets around to posting his summary of what's going on in the grand scheme of things, and it turns out to all be true, that summary may contain a number of things I wish I didn't know, because I don't have a handy spaceship to escape on, or a smallish warm uninhabited island thousands of miles from the ROTW.

58 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Vegetarian wine? 

Is that wine which has had chemicals dropped through it to clarify it, rather than fish heads or eggs?

I think Grolsch is a vegetarian beer, or it used to be anyway.