• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Sugarlips

A glimpse of the youth of today

I thought the comments were quite funny personally. Maybe I'm just easily pleased. :ph34r:

As for the song it's not really my thing particularly the use of the wild animal in the video... but it's not as offensively awful as most hip-hop nowadays. Is it?

The best rapper is Eminem, compared to that video above the lyrics alone are just infinitely better. 

41 minutes ago, spunko said:

I thought the comments were quite funny personally. Maybe I'm just easily pleased. :ph34r:

As for the song it's not really my thing particularly the use of the wild animal in the video... but it's not as offensively awful as most hip-hop nowadays. Is it?

The best rapper is Eminem, compared to that video above the lyrics alone are just infinitely better. 

The poet Laureate Seamus Heaney was a fan:

"Seamus Heaney, one of the leading figures in modern poetry, praised the lyrical talents of the rapper Eminem yesterday.

The Northern Irish poet, a guest of the school, was asked by journalists whether there was a figure in popular culture who aroused interest in poetry and lyrics in the way that Bob Dylan and John Lennon did during the 1960s and 1970s.

The Nobel Laureate said: "There is this guy Eminem. He has created a sense of what is possible. He has sent a voltage around a generation. He has done this not just through his subversive attitude but also his verbal energy."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1434523/Nobel-poet-hails-Eminem.html

It's said that you can either love poetry or prose*, never both -- and I'm a prose lover so I'm happy to keep to the periphery of this debate.

[* and it must be true because when I have to listen to this sort of thing -- whether CardiB or Eminiem -- all I hear is mindless gibberish, mixed with random snippets of profanity and aggression for stupid people** to think it is profound]

[** Heaney?  He was just trying to get down with the kids.  This never works, but everyone thinks they can try -- I guess Nobel laureates aren't immune...]

Edited by dgul

5 hours ago, dgul said:

It's said that you can either love poetry or prose*, never both -- and I'm a prose lover so I'm happy to keep to the periphery of this debate.

[* and it must be true because when I have to listen to this sort of thing -- whether CardiB or Eminiem -- all I hear is mindless gibberish, mixed with random snippets of profanity and aggression for stupid people** to think it is profound]

[** Heaney?  He was just trying to get down with the kids.  This never works, but everyone thinks they can try -- I guess Nobel laureates aren't immune...]

Nowadays everybody talks, like they got something to say. But nothing comes out when they move their lips. Just a bunch of gibberish. 

It just looks like kids having a laugh with some sort of in-joke to me. Entirely harmless and very creative in some cases. I echo the sentiment of Stokie that kids today are, on average, a lot nicer than they were 30 years back (except for the stabby ones of course).

2 hours ago, TheBlueCat said:

It just looks like kids having a laugh with some sort of in-joke to me. Entirely harmless and very creative in some cases. I echo the sentiment of Stokie that kids today are, on average, a lot nicer than they were 30 years back (except for the stabby ones of course).

There are some young chaps (early twenties) in my local village pub who I was a bit wary of at first as they looked a bit dodgy and chavvy, but I chat to them sometimes now at the bar and they are all basically nice polite people. It's just that they look and dress like the dodgy, inner city 'yoof' that I would probably cross the street to avoid if I were in London.

Some kids are nicer but you still get plenty of the feral youth - some would say more than ever.  Maybe it depends on age and maturity to some extent

Listening to Cardi B's words and the  lyrics of the song? Bodak Yellow you wouldn't have found them sung in the church youth clubs of yesteryear.

Whether that's progress since the days when P J Probie was banned and ostracised for an on stage ripped seam in his trousers might be a matter of opinion (granted the lyrics are fascinating and maybe an insight into the direction we're being taken) and I'm all for freedom of speech.

Edited by twocents

35 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

There are some young chaps (early twenties) in my local village pub who I was a bit wary of at first as they looked a bit dodgy and chavvy, but I chat to them sometimes now at the bar and they are all basically nice polite people. It's just that they look and dress like the dodgy, inner city 'yoof' that I would probably cross the street to avoid if I were in London.

Definitely seen that in Toronto too. One of my first experiences of that sort when I moved here was walking down the street that I'd just bought a house on and seeing a big group of lads of various colours coming towards me dressed like gangsters and wondering if I'd made a huge mistake only to have them politely step out of the way to let me pass.

Or on a small island somewhere warm and humid....

Saw a group of lads in a huddle, near where we'd just moved to; looking shifty.

Then their leader turned up. Big, and looking well-hard.

Then they started to sing.

They were a small gospel choir who didn't have anywhere to practise....

Edited by unregistered_guest