• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Uptherebels

Heating

Anyone know anything about electric night storage heating?

It's all we have, and upstairs there is only one of them. It's always been fine, but this season, on it's first time back on, it got too hot. I don't even understand how it got so hot. As you are probably aware, they're not the most efficient of things! Never enough heat left by the evening etc etc. This time, this thing was still way too hot to touch even late into the evening. As far as I'm aware, it can only draw power in the night time (economy 7 meter), so it shouldn't be have been able to get so hot. I know some of them have a manual switch , so you can you use them as a daytime convector type thing, but this one does not have that option. I turned it off, and took out the fuse, and it took 48 hours to cool down. I don't want to turn it back on, as I reckon it now might be a fire risk , as there is clearly something wrong with it.

I've no idea if it's fixable. If it needs replacing, no problem but as things have moved on, I'm not sure these storage heaters even exist anymore. There are plenty of new style electric heaters, but I'm not sure any of them are designed to use the night time electric?

Put the fuse back in and look at the meter to see if it is drawing electricity (even in the 'should be turned off' period).

If you've got an economy-7 timer near the fusebox then look at it to see what your 'on/off' times are -- it isn't unknown for them to lose sync and end up with the cheap bit during the day -- in which case, just ignore it as you'll be saving electricity during your 'peak' periods

[The 'taking long time to cool down' is, of course, normal for the technology]

Edited by dgul

29 minutes ago, dgul said:

Put the fuse back in and look at the meter to see if it is drawing electricity (even in the 'should be turned off' period).

If you've got an economy-7 timer near the fusebox then look at it to see what your 'on/off' times are -- it isn't unknown for them to lose sync and end up with the cheap bit during the day -- in which case, just ignore it as you'll be saving electricity during your 'peak' periods

[The 'taking long time to cool down' is, of course, normal for the technology]

I'll have a look, but the timer fault at the meter is unlikely I think, as the other heaters are working fine. I know they cool down slowly but normally they are pretty cool by the evening. This thing was still roasting the next day, even though it was turned off. It was only one for one night, and only on a very low setting too, as it isn't very cold yet.

The storage heaters have their own meter.

Edited by Uptherebels

2 minutes ago, Uptherebels said:

I'll have a look, but the timer fault at the meter is unlikely I think, as the other heaters are working fine. I know they cool down slowly but normally they are pretty cool by the evening. This thing was still roasting the next day, even though it was turned off. It was only one for one night, and only on a very low setting too, as it isn't very cold yet.

The storage heaters have their own meter.

Ah, okay.  I'd presume the internal thermostat has borked.  Probably best off 'till fixed.