• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
spunko

Why can't you get black expanding foam?

Question

Or any colour other than WHITE. Manufacturers make a big point of clarifying that you can paint  expanding foam now, but why not just skip out the process and make it already that colour with the use of dyes/paint, from within the can.

Clearly it needs to be invented, patented and then all profits go to the purchase and upkeep of DOSBODS island.

13 answers to this question

15 minutes ago, SNACR said:

I sell loads of it never sure what people do with it all smooth over some bodgery or corner cutting it’s perhaps not suitable for I’d suspect.

Filling in large cracks in walls due to subsidence prior to a quick render and sale to some mug who doesn't get a full survey.

1 hour ago, spunko said:

Or any colour other than WHITE. Manufacturers make a big point of clarifying that you can paint  expanding foam now, but why not just skip out the process and make it already that colour with the use of dyes/paint, from within the can.

Clearly it needs to be invented, patented and then all profits go to the purchase and upkeep of DOSBODS island.

I think you maybe can :

https://www.premierbuildingsolutions.net/product/xtrafoam-black-minimal-expanding-foam-sealant/

https://www.bradshawsdirect.co.uk/touch-n-foam-exterior-filler-adhesive

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=black+expanding+foam&ie=&oe=

12 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

They're American or for ponds and things. Couldn't find any UK sellers of the regular stuff. 

54 minutes ago, spunko said:

They're American or for ponds and things. Couldn't find any UK sellers of the regular stuff. 

Ah, I had maybe thought you were just a terrible googler or something.

Weird they don't do it in black. The stuff I have, and have seen is a yellow colour.

There’s hardly any real manufacturers of expanding foam despite the label on the can it ultimately comes from only a couple of places mostly Soudal in Belgium in this country. They can tint it to indicate fire rated would suspect the expanding nature makes It had to reliably produce strong colours.

I sell loads of it never sure what people do with it all smooth over some bodgery or corner cutting it’s perhaps not suitable for I’d suspect.

1 hour ago, SNACR said:

There’s hardly any real manufacturers of expanding foam despite the label on the can it ultimately comes from only a couple of places mostly Soudal in Belgium in this country. They can tint it to indicate fire rated would suspect the expanding nature makes It had to reliably produce strong colours.

Surprisingly time consuming filling gaps here and then and regs require sealing everywhere nowadays - u Value, fireproofing etc.

You haven't made a bulk delivery of this stuff to No.10 recently have you?

image.thumb.png.b6dbf0e4e5e12aaf54b310382d140ced.png

1 hour ago, onlyme said:

Surprisingly time consuming filling gaps here and then and regs require sealing everywhere nowadays - u Value, fireproofing etc.

You haven't made a bulk delivery of this stuff to No.10 recently have you?

image.thumb.png.b6dbf0e4e5e12aaf54b310382d140ced.png

Don’t know how much benefit it is in reality but very few, certainly end users, have no interest in paying even a tiny amount more for fire rated stuff oddly. Intumescent sealant sales are so low to the point of virtually not worth stocking. Even stuff like decorator’s caulk is very low volume to the public so guess they’re only interested in good enough rather than a professional finish as well.

Edited by SNACR

2 minutes ago, SNACR said:

Don’t know how much benefit it is in reality but very few, certainly end users, have no interest in paying even a tiny amount more for fire rated stuff oddly. Intumescent sealant sales are so low to the point of virtually not worth stocking.

Surprised at that. But also dubious at how effective it would be in reality.

I never buy intumescent seals or fillers because my house is timber framed so what would be the point? xD

As for expanding foam, I think a lot of people (me included) refuse to pay ~£15 for one of those expanding foam cleaners. I'd rather pay £6 for a can of foam and then use it only once, to find that it's not possible to use the next day as it's blocked. Even if I then have to buy 3x more cans of the stuff and it costs me more in the long run, I'd rather do that than pay £15 for the cleaner which is daylight robbery.

I've been using it for filling in holes to stop rodents mainly. It is quite addictive stuff, I quite enjoy watching it expand :ph34r:

54 minutes ago, spunko said:

I never buy intumescent seals or fillers because my house is timber framed so what would be the point? xD

As for expanding foam, I think a lot of people (me included) refuse to pay ~£15 for one of those expanding foam cleaners. I'd rather pay £6 for a can of foam and then use it only once, to find that it's not possible to use the next day as it's blocked. Even if I then have to buy 3x more cans of the stuff and it costs me more in the long run, I'd rather do that than pay £15 for the cleaner which is daylight robbery.

I've been using it for filling in holes to stop rodents mainly. It is quite addictive stuff, I quite enjoy watching it expand :ph34r:

Only real benefit is the speed of spread between floors preventing flames liking through rather than having to burn through. Modern timer framed houses are a nightmare for fires whichever way you look at it, once fully set fire crew loathe to enter them at all as yes their breaking apparatus and thermal kit may keep them alive but nothing is going to help them when a whole floor collapses on them.

Likewise, I have the proper gun but disposables if you buy in bulk, get it when on offer, go for the large cans there is very little price difference. Arguably the trigger/control with a proper gun is better but if you go carefully makes no odds.

Top tip for fire prevention (well potentially limit the any blaze), leave your doors closed if going away with luck any electrical fire that could possibly occur (happened to workmate of mine) may well exhaust all the oxygen in the room that it set in before escaping to the rest of the house. You'll still have smoke damage throughout though.