• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
sarahbell

Is it a bird, is it a plane? No it's a bumblebee

https://bumblebeeconservation.org/images/uploads/Resources/BBCT_Bumblebee_ID_sheet_(big_8).pdf

It's the season for people suddenly spotting bumblebees at the eaves of their house or in the birdbox in the back garden.
The big fluffy ones are bumblebees and should be left alone.

The ones in a lovely cluster are honey bees and you should ring your local swarm collector.

https://www.bbka.org.uk/help/find_a_swarm_coordinator.php

hth.

2016-06-22_11_36_46.jpg

I am forever saving bees... and worms... Quite often bees will come out a bit early when it suddenly gets warm and then a sudden cold spell... especially a cold blast of wind... can knock the wind out of them that they basically start to die.

If you see a bee lyng on the ground then you can often save it by picking it up and...either warming it in the palms of your hands for 10 or 15 minutes... or moving out of the wind... but preferably finding a nice flower where it can tank itself up... I am not always successful in this but, over the years, I have saved a great many bees.

They seem to love blue and purple flowers most of all.

1 minute ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I am forever saving bees... and worms... Quite often bees will come out a bit early when it suddenly gets warm and then a sudden cold spell... especially a cold blast of wind... can knock the wind out of them that they basically start to die.

If you see a bee lyng on the ground then you can often save it by picking it up and...either warming it in the palms of your hands for 10 or 15 minutes... or moving out of the wind... but preferably finding a nice flower where it can tank itself up... I am not always successful in this but, over the years, I have saved a great many bees.

They seem to love blue and purple flowers most of all.

Me too...!

I always save crawling things if trapped in the house or at work. Folk think I'm mad catching them then opening a window.

4 minutes ago, Economic Exile said:

My daughters doing her final masters project on bees and pollination......don't know the details of it yet.

I buy local honey....delicious. Sometimes get a honeycomb with the wax.

Is it heather? The best  a wonderful strong and distinctive taste 

1 minute ago, Wahoo said:

Me too...!

I always save crawling things if trapped in the house or at work. Folk think I'm mad catching them then opening a window.

Who knows what existence we had before this one... or what one we will have after this one...

1 minute ago, One percent said:

Is it heather? The best  a wonderful strong and distinctive taste 

Yes, I've had local heather honey. But not sure about the honeycomb one. Got some local heather honey last time when I was at Samye ling, really nice and unfiltered or processed in any way.

Just now, Economic Exile said:

Yes, I've had local heather honey. But not sure about the honeycomb one. Got some local heather honey last time when I was at Samye ling, really nice and unfiltered or processed in any way.

When desperate, it can be found in both Waitrose and m&s. Very pricey but I won't eat any other honey. 

I help all manner of creatures when I can. My most successful one was a street cat who was lying outside our office in distress with a huge tumor in its eye. I took it to the vets and they unfortunately had to remove its eye but it was fine after that, took it in for ten days whilst it recovered then set it loose again and I see it now and again trotting around quite happily. 

Edited by Fossildog

13 hours ago, Economic Exile said:

My daughters doing her final masters project on bees and pollination......don't know the details of it yet.

Ooooooooooooooooooo fab. Loads of researchers at the moment wanting dead bees!