• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Frank Hovis

New Moon on Monday

China is launching four new moons which will sit in geostationary orbit three hundred miles above the earth.

The reason is to save money on street lighting.

https://www.rt.com/news/441766-china-man-made-moon/

This sounds to me like one of those "What could possibly go wrong?" moments.

Didn't Soviet Russia muck up its climate by redirecting some rivers?

Odds against a dirty great artificial moon plummeting at speed onto a city.

11 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

China is launching four new deathstars which will sit in geostationary orbit three hundred miles above the earth.

The reason is to save money on population control.

What the absolute fuck? Reality is becoming weirder and weirder these days... 

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

China is launching four new moons which will sit in geostationary orbit three hundred miles above the earth.

Or the ultimate act of Hubris before the whole Chinese economy collapses and they start rioting on the street and hanging CP members from lampposts.

A satellite needs to be much higher than that to be geostationary.

So are these essentially going to be big rocks under Chinese control whizzing around the earth?

If so, it's a kinetic space weapon with a shit cover story.

xD

3 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Let's hope the Saudis don't follow them with their own "moon of peace"

FearfulElectricAdmiralbutterfly-size_res

Yeah right. Saudis aren’t exactly known for their indigenous tech ability. The west designs / supplies it & Pakistanis/ Flippers build it.

On their own they can’t even cut up and dispose of a body without fucking it up.

I mean, that’s real easy, er, allegedly.

The news media is clearly filled with gullible idiots.  RT did this linky, but the So-Called BBC and others were the same, simply regurgitating the news release.  There's so much 'unbelievable' in this, and I don't mean 'wildly enthusiastic' but actually not believable.

For a start, it would need to be at 23,000 miles up, not the '500 miles'.  Then it would need to be absolutely ginormously vast.  Then the angle of reflection would have to be held accurate to tiny fractions of a degree (not the 'close enough' of normal satellites.

It isn't that it can't be done -- it is that it is so bonkersly far away from what is possible.   I know that it is an amusing story, but where is the role in the news media is at least nudging towards 'you know that they're mad, right?'

[My mum would believe it, but she thinks the moon is a few miles up and made of cheese anyway]

Edited by dgul

10 minutes ago, Captain Cavey said:

Yeah right. Saudis aren’t exactly known for their indigenous tech ability. The west designs / supplies it & Pakistanis/ Flippers build it.

Many years ago Saudi contracted BAE to train Saudi aircraft technicians to maintain their newly acquired fighter aircraft fleet.

The BAE techs ended up doing all the maintenance as the trainees were useless and considered themselves above such labour.

When the contract ended the Saudi techs took over, the aircraft were flown until faulty and then parked up as non of the techs knew what to do. So the BAE contract was re-started to get them airborne again.

42 minutes ago, dgul said:

The news media is clearly filled with gullible idiots.  RT did this linky, but the So-Called BBC and others were the same, simply regurgitating the news release.  There's so much 'unbelievable' in this, and I don't mean 'wildly enthusiastic' but actually not believable.

For a start, it would need to be at 23,000 miles up, not the '500 miles'.  Then it would need to be absolutely ginormously vast.  Then the angle of reflection would have to be held accurate to tiny fractions of a degree (not the 'close enough' of normal satellites.

It isn't that it can't be done -- it is that it is so bonkersly far away from what is possible.   I know that it is an amusing story, but where is the role in the news media is at least nudging towards 'you know that they're mad, right?'

[My mum would believe it, but she thinks the moon is a few miles up and made of cheese anyway]

Very reassuring!

53 minutes ago, Option5 said:

Many years ago Saudi contracted BAE to train Saudi aircraft technicians to maintain their newly acquired fighter aircraft fleet.

The BAE techs ended up doing all the maintenance as the trainees were useless and considered themselves above such labour.

When the contract ended the Saudi techs took over, the aircraft were flown until faulty and then parked up as non of the techs knew what to do. So the BAE contract was re-started to get them airborne again.

I've heard exactly the same story from BAR techs themselves.

This is what happens when you don't have a meritocracy and just give all the decent/skilled jobs to your family or mates.

1 hour ago, dgul said:

Now can you please provide your thoughts on Amazon and their delivery drone PR bollocks?

Well the yanks tried this years ago ,but in a less extravagant way here in Wales at the Texaco oil refinery in Pembrokeshier to save running temporary lighting for the night shift on a major T&I they had a sort of blimp/balloon with shit loads of HPS lamps strapped to it, it was great until the wind got up then Milford was the brightest town in Wales, 

Edited by Long time lurking

We'll still get inundated with the scary stories about asteroids millions of miles away about to hit earth forgetting about the fake moons just 300 miles away.

I mean what could go wrong.  

It just goes to prove that the moon is a balloon.

7 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Don't know if the story has changed but there is nothing in that article about geostationary orbits. 

50sq km of coverage. Save up to $173m per year. Let's say it replaces 12hr of lighting per day. That's about 4500hrs per year or $38k per hour.  

First search result (2011) suggests Chinese electric costs $0.08 per kWh so that's 475,000 kW to light 50sq km. 

9500kW to light a sq km. Assuming 100W bulbs, that's 95,000 bulbs. 

No conclusion. Just a mental exercise to stop me developing dementia.