• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Libspero

Malaysia Bans Import of UK Plastic

Following the Chinese ban on plastic imports last year it looks like our “recycled” waste is now being shipped out to Malaysia instead..  except now that little gig is up too. 

This is very bad news.. soon there will be nowhere left to send it and councils will be complaining about recycling mountains building up in the UK. 

We really need to start burning all this waste properly and stop sending it abroad to create trash mountains IMHO.

In the mean time..  expect once yearly bin collections. 9_9

British recycling and household waste has been found dumped in Malaysia, The Telegraph can disclose.

Plastic products sold in the UK that are intended for reprocessing have been apparently discarded by waste companies at several sites around the south-east Asian country.  

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/10/21/recycled-uk-plastic-found-dumped-malaysian-sites/

The way local councils have been behaving re. 'recycling targets' and associated handouts (or lack of punishment), through the apparent 'not our problem any more' policy is tantamount to fraud, IMO.

5 hours ago, wherebee said:

Population growth seems shitter the more you think about it for the UK, eh.

Yes, and do we need half the plastic shit that is produced ? There are whole shops full of unnecessary plastic items that people seem to think they need.

I was walking in the middle of Dartmoor yesterday and on an upper stretch of the Dart I found a yellow plastic duck, which is now in my waste bin.

1 hour ago, spunko said:

My pikey neighbours never put their bins out I noticed. Every week they have a bonfire. Seems they're ahead of the game...

I know you’re joking,  but in case anyone thinks my “burning” comment is cavalier..   I mean proper high temperature incineration and exhaust scrubbing.  No nasties going into the air..  unlike your nice pikey friends ;)

35 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

Yes, and do we need half the plastic shit that is produced ? There are whole shops full of unnecessary plastic items that people seem to think they need.

I was walking in the middle of Dartmoor yesterday and on an upper stretch of the Dart I found a yellow plastic duck, which is now in my waste bin.

Well, every time the So-Called BBC does a hand wringing piece on all the plastic in the sea and on the beaches I sell thousands of crappy plastic made in China litter picks. If it turns out the factory in China is tipping all its plastic mould waste in the sea maybe it will eventually reach some sort of dynamic equilibrium, like the mice's chocolate biscuit factory off of Bagpuss, or something.

If anyone has any other ideas for other related cheap products made of plastic that could be utilized to collect waste plastic let me know. 

Edited by SNACR

4 hours ago, TheBlueCat said:

Good. I recon 90% of domestic plastic waste is completely unnecessary and could be easily replaced with paper, glass or nothing.

Paper and card is very problematic to recycle now where previously we shoved it all together and baled it but it will now no longer be accepted by the Chinese and is classed as low grade. The sorting is too onerous to be viable. It's removed a reasonable revenue stream as well.

1 hour ago, Libspero said:

I know you’re joking,  but in case anyone thinks my “burning” comment is cavalier..   I mean proper high temperature incineration and exhaust scrubbing.  No nasties going into the air..  unlike your nice pikey friends ;)

I wasn't joking... ! They burn a load of something every Sunday anyway, I assume it's rubbish. I don't know what they do with it if they don't burn it or put it in a wheelie bin anyway!

1 hour ago, SNACR said:

Well, every time the So-Called BBC does a hand wringing piece on all the plastic in the sea and on the beaches I sell thousands of crappy plastic made in China litter picks. If it turns out the factory in China is tipping all its plastic mould waste in the sea maybe it will eventually reach some sort of dynamic equilibrium, like the mice's chocolate biscuit factory off of Bagpuss, or something.

If anyone has any other ideas for other related cheap products made of plastic that could be utilized to collect waste plastic let me know. 

Exactly, where to break the chain

My pet hate and especially, at this time of year. Everything wrong with it

lb6000e_backpack_blower_1_0.jpg

one of the best things ive ever been bought is one of those metal burny things,everything cardboard or paper can be swiftly delt with and frees up a lot of bin space,if your particualy naughty they can deal with plastic has well.far less hastle than a shredder and more fun.

4 minutes ago, twocents said:

That's where bonfire night was great - lots of rubbish burnt in one go.  Not so good with the plastic toxins of modern days of course.

How to build a 130ft bonfire, Norwegian style

Worlds-Biggest-Bonfire-02-685x983.jpg

4 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

How to build a 130ft bonfire, Norwegian style

Worlds-Biggest-Bonfire-02-685x983.jpg

They do them way bigger than that in NI.

No recycling issue with pallets they still fetch good money we get around a £1k per trailer load of mixed whites and euros in an as is condition.

Edit: Ok, maybe they don't having had a better look but their's are a lot more haphazard and unplanned.

Edited by SNACR

1 hour ago, twocents said:

That's where bonfire night was great - lots of rubbish burnt in one go.  Not so good with the plastic toxins of modern days of course.

Someone is giving away a trashed shed to burn on the local freebies site. Of course it'll have lots of nasty paint on it which will cause pollution, but it saves it going the tip.

1 hour ago, SNACR said:

They do them way bigger than that in NI.

No recycling issue with pallets they still fetch good money we get around a £1k per trailer load of mixed whites and euros in an as is condition.

Edit: Ok, maybe they don't having had a better look but their's are a lot more haphazard and unplanned.

What are the differences between these palet types?

Just now, Happy Renting said:

What are the differences between these palet types?

The EUR/EPAL-pallet is 1,200 by 800 by 144 millimetres (47.2 in × 31.5 in × 5.7 in); it is a four-way pallet made of wood that is nailed with 78 special nails in a prescribed pattern.

Useful explanation there.
https://www.1001pallets.com/standard-pallet-sizes-and-dimensions/

In allotment terms, we've always been told not to have the blue ones. As in theory they can come and get them back. 

1 minute ago, sarahbell said:

The EUR/EPAL-pallet is 1,200 by 800 by 144 millimetres (47.2 in × 31.5 in × 5.7 in); it is a four-way pallet made of wood that is nailed with 78 special nails in a prescribed pattern.

Useful explanation there.
https://www.1001pallets.com/standard-pallet-sizes-and-dimensions/

In allotment terms, we've always been told not to have the blue ones. As in theory they can come and get them back. 

Thanks. Interesting. To a geek like me, anyway. What are the 'white' pallets SNACR referred to?