• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Band

Hats off to the Chinese

Longest bridge on earth, connecting multiple Islands/Cities. Id imagine Brunel would be impressed.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1034897/china-news-Hong-Kong-Zhuhai-Macau-Bridge-latest-pictures

Whilst we in Britain cant build houses workers can buy with wages, and 100 mile or so of track to Brumis coming in at 100Bln

They truly are showing the western world to be a corrupt cesspit where the bungs needed to get something done has reached unaffordable levels.

7 minutes ago, Banned said:

Longest bridge on earth, connecting multiple Islands/Cities. Id imagine Brunel would be impressed.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1034897/china-news-Hong-Kong-Zhuhai-Macau-Bridge-latest-pictures

Whilst we in Britain cant build houses workers can buy with wages, and 100 mile or so of track to Brumis coming in at 100Bln

They truly are showing the western world to be a corrupt cesspit where the bungs needed to get something done has reached unaffordable levels.

And only 9 deaths during construction. I hope they didn't cut any corners. 

31 minutes ago, The Generation Game said:

And only 9 deaths during construction. I hope they didn't cut any corners. 

thats quite low when i was working at liverpool street station we were neck and neck with the chanel tunnel on 6 or 7 each,saw one bloke cop it dureing the great winds of was it 87 or 89.?

Made from finest quality sawdust-based concrete and will stand firm for literally years to come (where years, plural, = more than one year) 

33 minutes ago, spunko said:

It's massively overbudget and taken a lot longer than they said, according to the article. Doesn't sound that un-British to me.

34 miles of bridge at 14Bln seems like a bargain.

Thats not much more than the combined consultancy fees for HS2 and the new runway at Heathrow ... neither of which have been started!

Edited by Banned

3 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

Made from finest quality sawdust-based concrete and will stand firm for literally years to come (where years, plural, = more than one year) 

Yes they should have got the Italians and Americans to build it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-45439173
https://edition.cnn.com/2018/03/16/us/bridge-collapse-florida/index.html

18 minutes ago, spunko said:

It's massively overbudget and taken a lot longer than they said, according to the article. Doesn't sound that un-British to me.

Probably learnt a lesson from the US and from us - say you are over-budget on X so that you have secret squirrel cash to spend on Y and Z. Or maybe they just had a look at UK building projects and assumed going over budget is how you do things?

1 hour ago, Funn3r said:

Do they have much recent form on things like that then?

I'd be surprised if it falls down, because the people that cut corners building the school that fell down and killed all the kids in the earthquake a few years back were executed afaik. That kind of justice will surely focus constructor's minds.

Depends if it collapses.

9 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

I'd be surprised if it falls down, because the people that cut corners building the school that fell down and killed all the kids in the earthquake a few years back were executed afaik. That kind of justice will surely focus constructor's minds.

Yes loads.

As far as th epeole being shot, they need to have shot the CP officials who made the people build the the shoddy school and stole the budget from it.

Reckon a lot of dodgy building in the provinces and a lot of the private stuff built for the public like blocks of flats. Big civil structure like this though not exactly rocket science just got to go about it the right way and it will be monitored way more than the other stuff. 3 hour journey time down to 30 minutes, now that is worth investment, unlike HS2 for example.

45 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

There's a couple of rather weird you tubers, two guys on a motorbike, can't remember their names. They go round Chinese apartment blocks poking holes in the walls with a pencil, showing you all the bits which fell off even though construction only finished last week. 

4 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

There's a couple of rather weird you tubers, two guys on a motorbike, can't remember their names. They go round Chinese apartment blocks poking holes in the walls with a pencil, showing you all the bits which fell off even though construction only finished last week. 

Serpentza and something like Lowhy...

Edit - Laowhy86.

Edited by onlyme

I'm personally not convinced that Chinese stuff is as bad now as it was 10 years ago. They'll be ahead of the Japanese before long. Their cars and bikes are getting better very quickly indeed. 

I'll obviously modify this comment later on if my Chinese bike fails xD

1 hour ago, spunko said:

I'm personally not convinced that Chinese stuff is as bad now as it was 10 years ago. They'll be ahead of the Japanese before long. Their cars and bikes are getting better very quickly indeed. 

Go and lurk on liveleak for a few days. It seems to have become the home of videos of Chinese things - bridges, lifts, escalators, roads, etc - that just break.

5 hours ago, spunko said:

Mist phones, laptops and electric products people spend a fortune on are from there .. all about the quality control.

8 hours ago, Banned said:

34 miles of bridge at 14Bln seems like a bargain.

Thats not much more than the combined consultancy fees for HS2 and the new runway at Heathrow ... neither of which have been started!

7 hours ago, onlyme said:

Reckon a lot of dodgy building in the provinces and a lot of the private stuff built for the public like blocks of flats. Big civil structure like this though not exactly rocket science just got to go about it the right way and it will be monitored way more than the other stuff. 3 hour journey time down to 30 minutes, now that is worth investment, unlike HS2 for example.

But your not considering the politicians and their mates who have been buying up housing and land beforehand in the areas near to hs2 stations. That's all that matters. Who cares if it's a white elephant?

41 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

It looks mundane and old hat despite it's length.

If it had a 34 mile span I'd be impressed.

As it is, it looks like a 50m span bridge repeated 1000 times.

There is an old 'bridge' across the lake N of New Orleans that is about 26 miles long.

It has some nice tunnel bits, so not so simple.

And for all the people saying it'll fall down -- I'm completely reassured by official statements along the lines of 'any bits that look dislodged, broken or incomplete are designed to look like that'