• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
dgul

killing vipers

There's this story here in Wales tonight:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-45942095

Adder extinction fear over 'image problem' in the UK

And one bit caught my eye:

"They've had a negative press for so long. People still go out and kill them, seeing them as a danger and something to be feared," she said.

Is this really true?  I've never known anyone kill an adder -- everyone sees the thing, then reports on how they saw an adder.

Anyway, I have my suspicions that this is a made up charity, which has invented a new problem to go out and solve.  But maybe it is a real problem -- so, anyone killed an adder recently?

5 minutes ago, dgul said:

Is this really true?  I've never known anyone kill an adder -- everyone sees the thing, then reports on how they saw an adder.

Anyway, I have my suspicions that this is a made up charity, which has invented a new problem to go out and solve.  But maybe it is a real problem -- so, anyone killed an adder recently?

I saw that story and thought what a load of rubbish.

I didn't actually realise that a charity is creaming money out of doing PR work for the adder; very inventive.

IME adders live in sandy areas by the sea and I have seen two in the last five years.

I don't think that their popularity affects their numbers.  Last year's cold winter maybe does.

Is this a BBC dog-whistle to see if anyone reports that people from some cultures have an irrational fear of snake-like things and will go out of their way to kill them?

So, the story may be entirely fictional and the charity completely bogus; but when individuals try to rationalise why some crazed loon would want to drive British wildlife to extinction; they can jump out from behind a rock and cry, "Aha, you  are a stupid racist who has fallen into our clever trap. You should have realised that the news story was complete hogwash, but because you're a stupid racist, you didn't!"

But then again, it could just be lazy "journalism". Oooh look, here's a press release I can turn into an article by my skillful application of Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V.

4 minutes ago, dgul said:

Living in Ireland we don't have the "pleasure" of their company but I do find snakes fascinating.  

I subscribe to this guy's channel.  Don't watch if you have a phobia.

9 minutes ago, dgul said:

I haven't and wouldn't, but I know people that will and do, but these same people will kill any snake out of their 'fear' and stupidity.

I can't think it is a massive problem as Adders are quite secretive, but I could be surprised.

On killing wildlife, it's an interesting aside that hedgehog populations have more than doubled in badger cull areas compared to areas where there was no cull. Now, there's a dilemma for some.

Edited by Hopeful

2 minutes ago, Admiral Pepe said:

I don't think I have ever seen a snake in the UK. Now I've been dealing with damn false widows over the last two weeks. I'm not holding back on those feckers!

Two adders, one grass snake, several slow worms (though none in Cornwall for some reason, and I know they're not technically snakes), but I haven't seen a smooth snake which would be the set.

1 minute ago, Admiral Pepe said:

I don't think I have ever seen a snake in the UK. Now I've been dealing with damn false widows over the last two weeks. I'm not holding back on those feckers!

Found a beautiful grass snake early one morning, unfortunately run over by a car and dead, but in otherwise immaculate condition. It was massive too at the maximun size of about 1.5m.

Took it home and laid it in the bath with its head propped up like a cobra using a piece of wire I'd inserted down its throat.

The GF's scream was heard by the neighbours.

I have never heard of anyone in Wales killing an adder in my entire life. Gower is full of them but, by and large, most people avoid them - touch wood - and feel no hatred, anger or malice towards them.

The last adder I saw the summer before last, which was sunbathing near a fence-post against which I rested my bike, was so startled when it saw me that it slithered off in one direction whilst I ran in the opposite one.

I think this story is bollox IMPO.

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

Two adders, one grass snake, several slow worms (though none in Cornwall for some reason, and I know they're not technically snakes), but I haven't seen a smooth snake which would be the set.

That's really cool. I lived in Cyprus as a nipper for a couple of years and while exploring would see a few snake species, one particular one scared the hell out me, blunt-nosed viper, those things were huge xD

Just now, Hopeful said:

Found a beautiful grass snake early one morning, unfortunately run over by a car and dead, but in otherwise immaculate condition. It was massive too at the maximun size of about 1.5m.

Took it home and laid it in the bath with its head propped up like a cobra using a piece of wire I'd inserted down its throat.

The GF's scream was heard by the neighbours.

haha. My dad did something similar to a friend/colleague. While driving to work drove over a snake. Got out and put it in the car and then upon arriving to work promptly threw it at his friend xD

I live in Gower and as schoolboys we used to kill them and thought that we doing a public service.

This latest puff piece from the So-Called BBC seems to have happened following an article in the Swansea Evening Post paper that a woman had seen an adder last week.

This is of course rare for October and therefore legitimate interest.

4 minutes ago, ashestoashes said:

few stories of dogs getting bitten in the cotswolds during the summer, 2 of the fields I walk through have adder signs, I saw a few little ones on a golf tee a few years ago, like a pile of dog poo until they moved

We are getting the same dog walker warnings.

Only seen one once myself. I was freeclimbing about 80ft up a sandstone cliff and the bugger went across my hand.

Thankfully neither of us fell off.

It was a long time ago though, so with memory embellishment  I may have only been 5 ft up and it may have just been a very big worm.

4 minutes ago, Byron said:

I live in Gower and as schoolboys we used to kill them and thought that we doing a public service.

This latest puff piece from the So-Called BBC seems to have happened following an article in the Swansea Evening Post paper that a woman had seen an adder last week.

This is of course rare for October and therefore legitimate interest.

Was it cycling a bike along the prom?

I love snakes. Had a few in/near the house but have never killed one. (Middle East, Far East, W.Africa ... now we are in SW France. Seen lovely snakes in all these place but never in the UK!) We just catch them & take them out/discourage them from coming back inside. (Even when we had small kids.) Fully aware that most ppl go for "kill them" just cos they are snakes which is a real shame. 

1 minute ago, unregistered_guest said:

Does it make hair regrow on bald pates?

Asking for a friend on the Dosbods Secret Santa....

Oh yes. It is the miracle cure for everything and guarantees long life and a major win on the next lottery. 

9 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Was it cycling a bike along the prom?

No, but TMT, you are getting a little too close to home.

Will have to be careful.

I do cycle  and on the prom.

Enigmatic

The vipers here(think they're the same species though actually Wiki tells me there are two species here)  are a touch bigger than I've seen in the UK, have seen one or two in the 15 years here(one was vanishing into a crevice) , but afaik the Swiss aren't so fucking stupid as to kill them.

This might be why.... :D (Well done the Swissies)

https://www.thelocal.ch/20110803/747

My childhood neighbour got bitten by an adder and ended up losing his leg (being diabetic presumably contributed too).

I killed one in my garden a few years ago, only because we had young children, and I didn’t want to take any risks. I’ve seen loads in Surrey over the years.