• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
swiss_democracy_for_all

Printer irritation - Samsung CLX 3305

Sorry for the not-very-interesting thread but anyone got any handy tips regarding how to defeat the thieving bastards Samsung regarding toner cartridges for a CLX 3305? It says they're incompatible, well they're compatible alright, just not Samsung's stupidly expensive own-brand, but the machine knows they're not and won't play. 

I have googled and not come up with anything useful, so this is just on the offchance one of you techie types has defeated Samsung on this.

I suspect the outcome of this is going to be me smashing this printer to small pieces and buying a brand that is less wanky regarding compatible toner cartridges.

2 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Sorry for the not-very-interesting thread but anyone got any handy tips regarding how to defeat the thieving bastards Samsung regarding toner cartridges for a CLX 3305? It says they're incompatible, well they're compatible alright, just not Samsung's stupidly expensive own-brand, but the machine knows they're not and won't play. 

I have googled and not come up with anything useful, so this is just on the offchance one of you techie types has defeated Samsung on this.

I suspect the outcome of this is going to be me smashing this printer to small pieces and buying a brand that is less wanky regarding compatible toner cartridges.

Canon don’t do that. I put really cheap cartridges in and they work like a dream

guess this isn’t what you want to know. 

I bought  Canon for this reason. However the scanner was shite. 2 black lines down the images. My dalliance with Canon was not a good one. Sent it back yesterday.

I have had 3 printers in 20 years, they've all been Epson. I was put off massively by the horror stories of compatibles not working.

The one i've had to bin only went wrong because i decided to print in b&w only and in the heat the colour ink nozzles gunged up. I ended up putting the floor steamer through it in the end. Guess what??xD  Had it since 2007.

My new Epson arrived today  from here 

https://www.box.co.uk/products/cat/Printers~B~Printers/sort/1/refine/65426~164245$65426~156529$65426~167909

£29.99. bargain. 4 ink slots, takes compatibles. Newer epsons dont appear to gunge up as much as older models.

Installed all drivers, option to NOT install firmware update ticked.

If you google firmware reversions it might help. Or have seen some sites suggesting turning off ink monitoring, or even scraping off the carbon bit on each cartridge near or around the chip.

I am struck how iffy and shonky the whole printer market is. Bit wild west really.

Edited by shindigger

14 minutes ago, Dave Bloke said:

Did you update the firmware on the printer recently? Both HP and Epson have issued "urgent" firmware updates in recent times which do nothing but block TP cartridges.

This most likely - never update the firmware.

The updates block the cheap clone cartridges.

14 minutes ago, One percent said:

Canon don’t do that. I put really cheap cartridges in and they work like a dream

guess this isn’t what you want to know. 

See above. Canon printers seem to have suddenly decided that they want to upgrade firmware regularly.

Just now, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Inkjets are no good to me because there tend to be long periods when it's unused (it dries up), then large volume requirements.

Bollocks so I will need to factory reset the little bastard and then prevent it from ever updating. Now to try and work out how to do that....

I thought that, as i dont print much these days.  But i dont think they are as bad as before.

plus an all in one colour laser jobby that i would want is pricey and the toners are stupidly dear too.

The site i linked to above had a Ricoh b&w laser machine for £20 last week. Free delivery in 2 days.

Xerox 3210 - look out for them. Great beast of a laser printer/scanner, that you can retone using a bottle. Works with Windows 10. Old but it at least it isn't a smart-printer. There are simple ways to fool the printer, and you should be set up for life (well until they upgrade Windows again).

All other printers that I have owned, especially ink jet ones get smashed. Forget trying generic cartridges or trying to refill them It won't work on "smart printers", and you'll get your fingers covered in ink.

Edited by 201p

HP laser jet 4250 or 4350 dirt cheap on ebay I’d imagine probably less than a cartridge. Compatible cartridges no problem fractions of a pence per copy running costs. Think they stopped making them a while back but still see them everywhere.

13 hours ago, shindigger said:

I am struck how iffy and shonky the whole printer market is. Bit wild west really.

In the event that I fail to reset the firmware with this piece of Samsung shit, is there any company that is not part of the wild west market and actually produces fairly priced printers with fairly priced toners?

Anyone  got any experience of these?

https://www.box.co.uk/Epson-EcoTank-ET-2600-Colour-Inkjet-Mult_2080886.html

The refilling system looks good, although you have to get Epson ink it's sensibly priced as you're not changing the cartridge, but as it's inkjet I'd be concerned about the heads drying up when left unused.

5 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

FWIIW I have a cannon printer/scanner/copier/time machine which cost me £50 - regularly for that price at one of the etailers

A set of inks on Amazon cost £10 to £12. 

Same here. Much better than some other brands.

4 hours ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

In the event that I fail to reset the firmware with this piece of Samsung shit, is there any company that is not part of the wild west market and actually produces fairly priced printers with fairly priced toners?

See my comment about Cannon.

Although, even then, you can have 2 printers that look identical and similar model numbers where one has cheap clone inks available and the other can only use expensive cannon inks.

My model number is MG5751 - rrp is £100 but often for sale for £50. I got mine from Argos.

I get my clone inks from Amazon.

4 hours ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

According to this old website posting, the (some?) TP cartridge makers have changed their chips to regain compatibility:

https://www.stinkyinkshop.co.uk/blog/new-samsung-firmware-toner-cartridge-is-not-compatible-error/

Note the comment about ensuring the new cartridge has the latest chip.

Although I use OEM cartridges as they seem better in the long run (e.g. no leaks, etc).

Or Google or more information and possible solutions.

Edited by Harley

Having agonised most of last week over which all in one machine to buy i opted for this. 

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/printers-scanners-and-ink/printers/canon-pixma-ts5050-all-in-one-wireless-inkjet-printer-10155858-pdt.html

Which i got fromAmazon for £53.

But it had scanner copier issues.

Sent it back and decided to go for the cheapest Epson i could find that takes compatibles.

Which was this

https://www.box.co.uk/Epson-Expression-Home-XP-352-Colour-Inkj_2322646.html

Which, at the time was £29.99

Essentially the same machine really. Seems to be working fine and is not allowed to download any new firmware.

I cant entertain the idea of spending hundreds on a printer for home use. My experience with Canon was not great either tbh.

This may be of interest to the OP as a stop-gap.

20 quid!

https://www.box.co.uk/Ricoh-SP211-Mono-Laser-USB-Printer_1727613.html

Currently says out of stock but i did a stock alert on email last week,  and they did come back in. Maybe worth a punt?

Edited by shindigger

5 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Don't buy an Oki 931 unless you really need its features.

Replacement set of drums and toners - £2k

Is that one of those things that can print in white?

I do seem to recall having some Oki colour laser printers and the toner cartridges had a very low page yield and needed frequent costly replacement it did however produce excellent results.

In general you’re best avoiding all printers aimed at the home/small business/Joe Public market they’re all disposable cack. If it’s on Currys, Argos or similar leave well alone and get something from a corporate disposal on ebay or somewhere.