DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Autumn Budget

spunko

1 minute ago, Harley said:

Robert PestonVerified account @Peston 13m13 minutes ago  "By the way, the accelerated increase in personal tax allowances - for zero-tax and top rate - has a smell of planning (insurance) for a possible Brexit-crisis snap election. Absolutely no reason in normal electoral cycle to do now"......My god, a jurno earning his money!

Pesto was very good back in the day. He was honest about the crash, until someone clearly had a quiet word. 

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Harley said:

Freddie @FreddieBailey96 18m18 minutes ago  "The Tories said austerity was to pay down UK debt. It's almost tripled. They said we're all in this together. The rich have doubled wealth. We have been conned".

I don't think they ever said pay down the debt.

To be fair, many MPs don't know the difference between debt and deficit.

1 minute ago, One percent said:

Pesto was very good back in the day. He was honest about the crash, until someone clearly had a quiet word. 

Clearly you didnt read his book. He is a well connected useful idiot always has always will be. Only difference now is he is so far up his own backside.

Just now, null; said:

I don't think they ever said pay down the debt.

To be fair, many MPs don't know the difference between debt and deficit.

For what they are being paid, they bloody well should do. 

Just now, Banned said:

Clearly you didnt read his book. He is a well connected useful idiot always has always will be. Only difference now is he is so far up his own backside.

I haven’t but remember seeing him on the So-Called BBC and thought, how the hell have they let this one loose?  I do know that he is incredibly well connected though. 

53 minutes ago, null; said:

The gap between rich and poor would be even bigger if it was a Labour government.

Not if they start taxing assets as opposed to income. This is going to happen anyway its a matter of who does it first.

I think Corbyn will be very different to Blair ... This lot are merely continuing Blairs work.

50 minutes ago, Harley said:

A good catch.  Maybe something for the small print!

Not much happened pensions wise. Lifetime allowance up a little bit. No changes to tax relief. I think it's too complicated to change as a lot of individuals contribute via salary sacrifice rather than make net contributions that are grossed up.

32 minutes ago, Harley said:

Needs fact checking BUT the point is valid. 

When they say the deficit has come down they actually mean the rate of the deficit increasing has come down.  It's still going up, just not so fast!

Did you see what they did there?

xxDqsElumX0AERvUK.jpg.6280d8cca168eb1663d5974e94d24d26.jpg

that's not the true picture though, look at the deficit. Tory's inherited a situation where the defict was accelerating at record levels. Total dept was only ever going to go up given that start. Brown doubled total debt in 18 months iirc.

Not that I want to defend the Torys, but in this case they put the breaks on the speeding bus before it went over the cliff, measuring the distance travelled by the bus is kind of meaningless, even if it did travel further with a tory at the wheel.

Just now, snaga said:

that's not the true picture though, look at the deficit. Tory's inheristed a situation where the defict was accelerating at record levels. Total dept was only every going to go up given that start.

Not that I want to defend the Torys, but in this case they put the breaks on the speeding bus before it went over the cliff, measuring the distance travelled by the bus is kind of meaningless, even if it did travel further with a tory at the wheel.

Er, that's what I said.  Point is, they say it's gone down, which to most sensible people means in absolute terms.

1 minute ago, Banned said:

Not if they start taxing assets as opposed to income. This is going to happen anyway its a matter of who does it first.

I think Corbyn will be very different to Blair ... This lot are merely continuing Blairs work.

Fair point.

Corbyn would certainly be different to Blair.

Believe it or not I do actually agree with some of Corbyns views, its just that he also has some very bad ones and it's not just him as a person, its the labour party and its MP as a whole.

This is the perfect time for a new political party, I could be wrong but I get the impression everyone is fed up with both Labour and the Tories.

4 minutes ago, Harley said:

Ken Clarke @MrKennethClarke 2h2 hours ago  "Beer & Spirits duties frozen to help the nation get through the upcoming shitstorm"....Bless him!

BTW.....

xxxDqsItKtWsAA279R.thumb.jpg.f4e58c2d61d83a035030de719bd0f662.jpg

Makes me feel better about cutting back on the booze.

1 minute ago, Harley said:

Er, that's what I said.  Point is, they say it's gone down, which to most sensible people means in absolute terms.

I was referring the meme not your text.

2 minutes ago, null; said:

Fair point.

Believe it or not I do actually agree with some of Corbyns views, its just that he also has some very bad ones and it's not just him as a person, its the labour party and its MP as a whole.

This is the perfect time for a new political party, I could be wrong but I get the impression everyone is fed up with both Labour and the Tories.

I’m just thinking my Molotov cocktails will be a tad more expensive. 

longtomsilver
24 minutes ago, Harley said:

Needs fact checking BUT the point is valid. 

When they say the deficit has come down they actually mean the rate of the deficit increasing has come down.  It's still going up, just not so fast!

Did you see what they did there?

xxDqsElumX0AERvUK.jpg.6280d8cca168eb1663d5974e94d24d26.jpg

Go easy on those in the higher rate bracket. They aren't rich especially if they're part of a family unit with only one earner. 

Re. the deficit and the debt they've moved the goal posts by reducing the debt relative to GDP. That's how they plan on getting the debt down I.e. reneged on their promise. 

4 minutes ago, Harley said:

I don't know why we bothered with this thread when we have the So-Called BBC.....

xxxxDqsHpUOXQAAzweE.thumb.jpg.ab97f68bddb8b6ea2523f62493a0c4c6.jpg

I caught 5 mins on Radio 5 (forgot to retune after listening to sport at weekend) debating the budget, apparantly the rich are gaining the most beacuse of the £50K higher tax rate band.

£50K is not rich, when are the fucking BBC going to realise that it's meaningless arguing about whether someone earning 25K or 50K is better off when the real rich are making off like bandits.

Napoleon Dynamite
1 hour ago, One percent said:

Ooh, I might work a few more hours (or pretend to do so). That’s 3.5 grand on the higher tax rate. They must have realised what a massive disincentive it was becoming.  

That's quite decent for somebody earning in that region.

By my calcs (ignoring NI) a £50K earner in 18/19 pays £8360 PAYE.  In 19/20 it's £7600.  So £760 less to pay, that's a fair amount of money.

The marginal tax after that is horrendous if in receipt of Child Benefit (and Marriage Allowance) though.

4 minutes ago, Napoleon Dynamite said:

That's quite decent for somebody earning in that region.

By my calcs (ignoring NI) a £50K earner in 18/19 pays £8360 PAYE.  In 19/20 it's £7600.  So £760 less to pay, that's a fair amount of money.

The marginal tax after that is horrendous if in receipt of Child Benefit (and Marriage Allowance) though.

also benefit from lower threshold, believe it's in the region of £860pa better off. I'll take that back thank you. did they increase the child benefit claw back threshold? I'm trying hard to keep my taxable income below £50K which is why I was so concerned about pension tax reforms.

8 minutes ago, longtomsilver said:

Go easy on those in the higher rate bracket. They aren't rich especially if they're part of a family unit with only one earner. 

Re. the deficit and the debt they've moved the goal posts by reducing the debt relative to GDP. That's how they plan on getting the debt down I.e. reneged on their promise. 

Totally understood, just I hate insultingly facile "spin".  Everyone (apart from the elites) have been b*ggered by all the polos, all sides, just a question of degree of b*ggery.  You either grow the pie (GDP) or you give someone a bigger slice at someone else's expense.  Pie GB has not grown in real terms for a long time.  You pay a CEO the big money to grow the share price, and we pay the polos and civil servants to do what exactly....?  And all they do is spin.  Fire 'em all.

19 minutes ago, null; said:

Fair point.

Yes its a matter of which one you hate less on the day. I do think Corbyn would sort the housing bubble out ... whether by design or incompetence, for me it doesnt matter which.

51 minutes ago, Harley said:

Ken Clarke @MrKennethClarke 2h2 hours ago  "Beer & Spirits duties frozen to help the nation get through the upcoming shitstorm"....Bless him!

BTW.....

xxxDqsItKtWsAA279R.thumb.jpg.f4e58c2d61d83a035030de719bd0f662.jpg

have you seen the price of wine in scandinavian countrys,the tax takes that low because no fucker can afoard it.its about 8 quid a pint of larger im led to beleive.

36 minutes ago, snaga said:

also benefit from lower threshold, believe it's in the region of £860pa better off. I'll take that back thank you. did they increase the child benefit claw back threshold? I'm trying hard to keep my taxable income below £50K which is why I was so concerned about pension tax reforms.

we forget it looks great for the minimum wage guys,but its going to be 9 quid soon..so they might be better off but some will be grabbed back.

13 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

have you seen the price of wine in scandinavian countrys,the tax takes that low because no fucker can afoard it.its about 8 quid a pint of larger im led to beleive.

I thought the scandi price was that it was taxed out of reach. According to that graph, we pay way more in tax, so what’s the reason?  

Archived