DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Autumn Budget

spunko

1 minute ago, kibuc said:

I'd say as long as you're getting the same statutory benefits that regular employees enjoy in regard to maximum working hours, overtime rates, annual leave, social insurance, pension, notice period etc. then you're an employee too. Otherwise, you're not. These are probably the biggest pros of having a permanent job, for which you pay with lower effective hourly rate and inflexible taxation. If you're not getting those benefits but are still taxed as if you were, that creates a big imbalance and is simply unfair.

That's obiously my personal opinion, I realize that tax offices see it way different.

No.

Thos are wrokign regulations. Nothing to do with eployment status.

People have to be ver ycareful with contracting/self employment.

The rules/guidleiens are sort of clear. However there's an entire industry of bullsshitter accoutnants and tax lawyer who think theyve come up with a clever workaround.

Back to my earlier response.

How can the likes of Eammon Holmes - fat breakfast presenter - claim to be self employed when the only thing he does is present an ITV rigramme, for ITV.

He's job is not swappale with someone else at Eammon Homes Ltd.

Its bullshit.

That leve lof bulshit applies to various HSE managers workign on the same site, for the same cmpnay for 2+ years - they are employees as far as HMRC are concered.

Its just a ddge to get around NICs and be able to write off wrok epxenses before tax.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, spygirl said:

Just because there is no contract, HMRC are not imagining it.    I suggest you read early PCG or Shout99 forums

The rules, at their base, are simple:

- Did you have multiple contracts during that tax year?                 YES

- Were you based at the customers site for all that time?             In Germany

- Did you supply your own tools/kit?                                                 Tools as in me, my brain and fingers. Kit would cost about 200 million capital/5 million per year          running cost. Data Security does that count as important. Liability for loss of service if I messed up, a good day about 800m Euros

- Did you and one or more people take turns in providing the services?          If I ran over the 182 days, it would have cost me dearly, one of the significant risks was managing the task timeline. 

Get 3 of those and you ought to be safe.

Spygirl, I have no desire to run this any further as I no longer has skin in that game, but at the time (2006) one of the main exclusions was that of the client being a foreign entity who had no UK office, if you call a comms server in a datacenter an office then I fail that. I just wanted to make the point that my experience of HMRC as a contractor and as a freelancer, argue at your peril, do not annoy the investigator, you lose anyway, just how badly. HMRC Investigators have no experience of work practice in industry, the abuse they sought to stamp on, they are still one of the worst perpetuators, so expecting any fit for purpose process is fantasy.

4 minutes ago, white110 said:

Spygirl, I have no desire to run this any further as I no longer has skin in that game, but at the time (2006) one of the main exclusions was that of the client being a foreign entity who had no UK office, if you call a comms server in a datacenter an office then I fail that. I just wanted to make the point that my experience of HMRC as a contractor and as a freelancer, argue at your peril, do not annoy the investigator, you lose anyway, just how badly. HMRC Investigators have no experience of work practice in industry, the abuse they sought to stamp on, they are still one of the worst perpetuators, so expecting any fit for purpose process is fantasy.

Again, not reading the rules.

Contractor forums fo not write or judge tax laws.

Was the contracts with multple companies.? Or multiple contracts with the same company? Formers ok. Latter isnt.

What you do or whether its important has no bearing.

Hmrc dont care what you do or how you do it. They are only concerned on how the earnings  are classified and  taxed.

I get this from multple parties - oilies and software.

Hmrc dont care if your job is dangerous, or whether you fly on a helicopter or have a cisco cert or your mums favourite son.

You are not special or unique to hmrc.

Archived