• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Happy Renting

Recharging Car Conditioning.

Question

OK, my car aircon refrigerant seems to have leaked away. I doubt I'll need cooling in th winter months, so I am considering waiting until the spring to have it checked for leaks and recharged.

However, I understand that refrigerant contains lubricants that protect the system seals.

So would I be wiser to have it checked and recharged now, to prevent further deterioration?

5 answers to this question

On ‎25‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 22:10, Happy Renting said:

OK, my car aircon refrigerant seems to have leaked away. I doubt I'll need cooling in th winter months, so I am considering waiting until the spring to have it checked for leaks and recharged.

However, I understand that refrigerant contains lubricants that protect the system seals.

So would I be wiser to have it checked and recharged now, to prevent further deterioration?

I would just get it done now, I've no idea about seals, but A/C is good for demisting the windscreen/windows in winter.

On 25/10/2018 at 22:10, Happy Renting said:

the refrigerant also lubricates the compressor or to be more accurate the oil added to the refrigerant does, you sure you have a leak not just degraded refrigerant  ? 

If you choose to go without make sure you never switch it on ,some compressors rely on the oil to lubricate the bearings if that`s the case with yours you risk damaging the compressor where it`s switched on or not 

Get it changed, nothing to lose as it needs changing/topping u/fixing anyway. Bought car with non functioning AC, had a recharge, mech told me loads of ECU msgs, head pressure  but the AC didn't actually work after the charged and advised more investigation and possible expensive compressor change..11 hour trip later on hottest day of year I was steaming only then to find out that turning from full heat to full cool a few times  got it running. Apparently the flapper valve between heating/cooling circuit can stick and this trick can release it and get things going again. After bit of reading takeaway is to turn the AC on during winter a few times to keep things running/lubricated and not give them a chance to seize up, was not looking forward to a bill for a compressor change.

I run the air con all the time and not had a problem with it in the 95,000 miles the car has done, apparently you are more likely to lose the refrigerant over time if you only run it occasionally as the oil doesn't circulate and lubricate the seals.