• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sugarlips

Phone obsessed - not just youths

I see my mobile as a necessary evil as its work issued so i have to take work calls however i can use it to make personal calls/texts. Ive nevere owned one otherwise. Its a blackberry so functions are limited!

I have no issue with people using them for the web etc but ive been told by a travel agent who just came back from a cruise tour of asia who said of the 3000 pax she was one of only a handful who seemed to take in anyof the sights, everyone else were glued to their devices the whole time, ijust dont get it, surprised there are not more injuries from people walking into traffic, lampposts etc

Modern, portable, take-anywhere entertainment.  The promise never to be bored again (even for a second).

I don’t have an issue with it per-se, more a sign of the times. I had a similar experience last week in the Trafford centre..  just looking around roughly 50% of people were doing something involving their mobile phone. Amazing more people don’t walk into each other. 

Perhaps we will evolve another pair of “walking eyes”? o.O

2 hours ago, Libspero said:

Modern, portable, take-anywhere entertainment.  The promise never to be bored again (even for a second).

..  just looking around roughly 50% of people were doing something involving their mobile phone. Amazing more people don’t walk into each other. 

Perhaps we will evolve another pair of “walking eyes”? o.O

An app could do the trick here. 

GPS tells you where you are if you or someone else getting too close and warns you to move in a different direction. 

You could even incorporate lampposts and other street furniture into it. 

That these pieces of silicon, glass  and plastic take-up such a massive part of your life, psyche, and a fair chunk of your fucking income absolutely fucking astounds me.

You retards really are lambs to the fucking slaughter as long as you continue to worship this shite...

XYY

Edited by The XYY Man

It's not so much as a rule but more that in practice when I am in a position where I either need or would benefit from being in the external environment rather than in the phone (so: in company, at work, walking, somewhere nice, somewhere with a view such as a train journey) then I will be fully in the real world and the phone stays as a phone and usually on silent / vibrate when it's not left at home / in the car.

And it's £7 a month which includes a new phone every two years; Tesco mobile. So it's not breaking the bank plus I make no landline calls (don't even have a phone plugged in) which would net it down further.

It is of so much use and is so cheap that it seems churlish not to have it as long as it remains a functional tool.

1 hour ago, The XYY Man said:

That these pieces of silicon, glass  and plastic take-up such a massive part of your life, psyche, and a fair chunk of your fucking income absolutely fucking astounds me.

You retards really are lambs to the fucking slaughter as long as you continue to worship this shite...

XYY

to be fair im on my laptop a lot but i see it has the same has reading,because i often have to think to answer.im also looking at the opinions of others .so being a snob it depends what they are doing on there phones,are they haveing stimulating debate or just puting selfies up of there dinner on facebook.they are a pain in the arse in my opinion i,ve just found out there was an app on mine that could tell my gf where i was ffs.

i think an episode of dr who involving the cybermen nailed it around 7 years ago fantastic parody.

This is my son took the picture a few secands ago he is staying at mine for a couple of weeks he is watching the increadables and playing with his robot .i didnt buy the ipad but he does love the bloody thing.but he does combine what he is watching with his toys.

727D2C98-488C-473E-BF64-F3911AEA8CE2.jpeg

Edited by stokiescum

Kids are obsessed by screens. 

9 minutes ago, BurntBread said:

Was out for a meal a month back with a friend I hadn't seen for a while, and my jaw dropped when he said his wife had an app on her phone which told her exactly where he was, all the time.

That app will have to be added on his phone iirc. 

There are specific ones you can get or there are just the standard i phone ones. He needs to have enabled it though. 

It's like anything, can be a powerful tool or a complete waste of time. I've tried the whole no phone thing and i'm not doing that again. It's too useful. Maps (I got a load of OS maps on it as well), driving directions, calendar, todo list app, Kindle app which automatically syncs to my kindle, podcast app etc. I don't have or use twatter, facebook, instawhore etc and all my notifications bar phone calls are muted.

37 minutes ago, BurntBread said:

Was out for a meal a month back with a friend I hadn't seen for a while, and my jaw dropped when he said his wife had an app on her phone which told her exactly where he was, all the time.

yes i just had a cheap iphone 6s,for 50 quid.my old 4 would not face time or run apps any longer.i discovered it had the locator app enabled to my gf phone it was from her sister....im like wtf thats comeing off .....its insane they think its acceptable.

I have to deal with a fair number of customer calls and the much improved quality of voice calls on smart phones over the old nokias is a big plus. I don't really use any apps and when I have played with them, my takeaway was that smart phones don't tend to work that reliably, or as well as dedicated devices. Suppose the camera is very good, although I rarely use it and the gallery apps are a mess compared with a folder / file system on a normal computer. From a work point of view, the ease of texting is a gigantic PITA. I can get the information and a booking made out of customers in under 3 minutes with a call, but it takes forever to get any sense out of their cryptic texts. I have taken to calling back texters straight away when they send a text at 10:30 on sunday night, it really freaks them out xD

35 minutes ago, gibbon said:

It's like anything, can be a powerful tool or a complete waste of time. I've tried the whole no phone thing and i'm not doing that again. It's too useful. Maps (I got a load of OS maps on it as well), driving directions, calendar, todo list app, Kindle app which automatically syncs to my kindle, podcast app etc. I don't have or use twatter, facebook, instawhore etc and all my notifications bar phone calls are muted.

they are indeed very handy if you look at the bigger picture.i do have fb but nothing else.im not into tec and have not decided if i should put the app for mobile banking on it,i could end up rolling in from the pub to find out ive bought a classic landrover dureing a moment of madness.

I'm trying to use my phone less,  it's a complete pain. I normally check it first thing in the morning and also before bed. Anyone got any tips? I try not to touch it at weekends and usually am quite good at that at least.

2 hours ago, The XYY Man said:

XYY

i know people paying 60 a month for the iphone x,my sim only deal is 9 quid i think the phone cost 50.only 5 people have my new number .im the only person on nights that does not have there phone on them and its silenced when im sleeping i use it has an alarm clock.only the gf and the nursery can get through if its silenced .im on my pc far more,which is another bit of silicon.my pub is not anti phone but the people i chat with will happily tell people off if they try chating and browsing there phones they concider it rude.which when you think about it is correct.

24 minutes ago, spunko said:

I'm trying to use my phone less,  it's a complete pain. I normally check it first thing in the morning and also before bed. Anyone got any tips? I try not to touch it at weekends and usually am quite good at that at least.

Take the battery out so you can only use it when it is plugged into the wall?

15 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

i know people paying 60 a month for the iphone x

Not unusual. Some seem to see it as a badge of honour to pay through the nose for their phone. One girl on site, part timer + tax credits I guess paying £85 for hers... oh but it did include insurance and spotify so it was a bargain... apparently.

There was an episode of Star Trek where people were glued to a screen like device this was in the early 90s. Exactly how weve become. My plan was to give up the internet and stop reading the shite on it when i bought a house as much of what i read is about a HPC.

Waking up on a Saturday to check emails to see if anyone on planet earth has contacted me and reading webforums is not a good way to be.

1 hour ago, BurntBread said:

I was up at my brother's for a family thing and we went to different places in the morning.  We got back and he was still not back from shopping with his eldest despite our thinking that they would be back earlier.

So his wife got out her phone and saw where he was on a map, saying that he's gone to whichever shop as well on the way back.

I found that odd; there wasn't an absence of trust in the marriage but they had put these things in their phones that told them where the other was at all times.

1 hour ago, stokiescum said:

yes i just had a cheap iphone 6s,for 50 quid.my old 4 would not face time or run apps any longer.i discovered it had the locator app enabled to my gf phone it was from her sister....im like wtf thats comeing off .....its insane they think its acceptable.

It's illegal.

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/read-this/illegal-partner-relationship-laws/

7. Putting tracking devices on your phone The Crown Prosecution Service says it is illegal under the new legislation to “monitor a person using online communication tools or spyware”.
If your partner is reading your Facebook messages without permission, or insisting they track your devices, it is against the law.

It's terrible that people look at their phones all the time.

What we need are special glasses with the screen built in.

34 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I was up at my brother's for a family thing and we went to different places in the morning.  We got back and he was still not back from shopping with his eldest despite our thinking that they would be back earlier.

So his wife got out her phone and saw where he was on a map, saying that he's gone to whichever shop as well on the way back.

I found that odd; there wasn't an absence of trust in the marriage but they had put these things in their phones that told them where the other was at all times.

My wife and I use one on and off to check how we're doing on long drives home.  Nice but does drain the battery.  

Of course, you could just log into their Google account and see that plus a hell of a lot more!  Scary if you ever got hacked and had not set your Google permissions (reguarly given the tendency for them to apparently reset themselves every now and then!).

Re.  the thread title, all DOSBODS' fault!

Edited by Harley

1 hour ago, spunko said:

Disable notifications for a start. What do you use it mostly for?