DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Last share you bought?

Great Guy

longtomsilver

BAE yesterday for £5.15.

edit: and now Land Securities. 300 and 350 across two portfolios at £8.51. This share has been under my radar in the past so it's a gentle nudge rather than a recommendation from yourself. Agree with what you say though.

Edited by longtomsilver

All on my list to add or increase.  I'd better get shopping after walking the dog!  At least small stakes in some for now as I had no buy signals as at yesterday but soon (today?) as it looks like we're turning up for now.  Will use the uptick to dump some growth funds and move into more HYP defensives.  Looking at everything (one or two per sector) over 3% yield on the FTSE100.  A 20 or so equally weighted stock portfolio and then a wash and brush once a quarter.  Working on expanding a parallel portfolio for ETFs/trusts to include international (and maybe dump the bond ETFs).  So far, the individual stock portfolio is ahead.

• Agree 2

longtomsilver
46 minutes ago, Harley said:

All on my list to add or increase.  I'd better get shopping after walking the dog!  At least small stakes in some for now as I had no buy signals as at yesterday but soon (today?) as it looks like we're turning up for now.  Will use the uptick to dump some growth funds and move into more HYP defensives.  Looking at everything (one or two per sector) over 3% yield on the FTSE100.  A 20 or so equally weighted stock portfolio and then a wash and brush once a quarter.  Working on expanding a parallel portfolio for ETFs/trusts to include international (and maybe dump the bond ETFs).  So far, the individual stock portfolio is ahead.

I've tidied up my portfolio today, selling some of my Vanguard FTSE 250 ETF and using the funds to purchase the Vanguard FTSE 100 ETF; all weighted so I have approximately £825 in the constituents of the FTSE 350 plus an overlap on conviction buys like GSK, SSE etcetera etcetera

Edited by longtomsilver

reformed nice guy

I have made some longer term investments based on my belief that automation will make big gains.

Honda, Fanuc corp, aerovironment and cognex are my punts!

longtomsilver
30 minutes ago, reformed nice guy said:

I have made some longer term investments based on my belief that automation will make big gains.

Honda, Fanuc corp, aerovironment and cognex are my punts!

Whose going to buy their products? Henry Ford was on the button when it came to employment. 

With regards to automaton I feel JLR have peaked and combined with the shrinking middle classes to now pin their hopes on the Chinese market is futile IMO.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, longtomsilver said:

I've tidied up my portfolio today, selling some of my Vanguard FTSE 250 ETF and using the funds to purchase the Vanguard FTSE 100 ETF; all weighted so I have approximately £825 in the constituents of the FTSE 350 plus an overlap on conviction buys like GSK, SSE etcetera etcetera

Is it not worth being in a single FTSE All-Share fund/etf instead? Might save a bit on trading costs and fees when it comes to rebalancing? HSBC FTSE all-share is 0.06

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, DoINeedOne said:

More Vodafone @ £1.50

I was due another staircase at 147p but decided to hold off for now. Bit too heavy VOD. Hopefully 145p was the bottom and all the way up now :D

11 hours ago, Great Guy said:

I bought some Land Securities yesterday for £8.50. They yield 5% and have a net asset value of £14!!!!

Seems cheap to me. 

Looking at the chart I would say it's looking a bit expensive. Can't see those retail outlets doing well over the next few years.

• Agree 1

longtomsilver
43 minutes ago, Admiral Pepe said:

Is it not worth being in a single FTSE All-Share fund/etf instead? Might save a bit on trading costs and fees when it comes to rebalancing? HSBC FTSE all-share is 0.06

I'd only consider tracking the top 350 as there'll be (still investable) elephants falling into the 250 and there'll be flea ridden dogs falling out of the 250 into the ether (All-Share). I looked for an FTSE 350 ETF but the only I could find had a 5% upfront fee and 0.51% annual management fee. Mines effectively mirrors theirs for a fraction of the cost. 

Edited by longtomsilver

longtomsilver
1 hour ago, Democorruptcy said:

SSE on the day it dropped about 10% in September.

Have some 🔥 SSE is our (combined) third largest holding with 2,250 shares @ an average of ~£13.40 we have received £2,500 of dividends though.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/11/2018 at 11:47, DoINeedOne said:

More Vodafone @ £1.50

D day next week for Vod, interims. Also Taylor Wimpey, but as Builders stocks are all at sixes and sevens (fwd price to earnings) because of depressed sentiment, it will take something mega to move TW. 

No profit warning on vod so should be ok. TW I expect good results as they are making hay on HTB on 25% margins.

Edited by crashmonitor

10 hours ago, Admiral Pepe said:

Balfour Beatty plc (BBYB) 10.75p Cum Cnv Red Prf 1p

Noob Questions:

These are worth 110p with a year (?) before they expire and are bought back at the price of 100p (?) At which time you will have earned just over 10p interest.

So the trade is to buy 110p of value with 110p. Is it not a zero sum game? What am I missing here?

25 minutes ago, billfunk said:

Noob Questions:

These are worth 110p with a year (?) before they expire and are bought back at the price of 100p (?) At which time you will have earned just over 10p interest.

So the trade is to buy 110p of value with 110p. Is it not a zero sum game? What am I missing here?

Not quite. Four divis left to run, ex-div is in two weeks. Yes paying above par but essentially nearly a 6% bond for less than two years.

• Agree 1
  • Cheers 1

longtomsilver
1 hour ago, Admiral Pepe said:

Not quite. Four divis left to run, ex-div is in two weeks. Yes paying above par but essentially nearly a 6% bond for less than two years.

Can't you offset the capital loss against the tax as well?

5 minutes ago, longtomsilver said:

Can't you offset the capital loss against the tax as well?

Correct from what I understand, although I don't know how that actually works in practice. I assume can only be offset capital gains rather than income tax. Won't be applicable to me as I have no capital gains and shares were bought in my SIPP. I am content with the 5.75% yield, although would welcome being able to offset the "loss" if I'm incorrect.

On 01/11/2018 at 17:32, longtomsilver said:

I looked for an FTSE 350 ETF but the only I could find had a 5% upfront fee and 0.51% annual management fee.

IUKD?  But div focussed so has the likes of the AA.  Investment trust?

4 hours ago, Bear Hug said:

AJ Bell regular investment day is coming up on Monday.  Not going to double down on Vod but considering some SSE and can't decide what else

Tough one.  SSE has had a terrific run very lately on the technical front which I guess could continue while VOD is a bit of a worry, DBs reflationary comment about it having the right kind of debt aside. 

I take the divs and re-invest when I have buy signals but am not fully invested yet so your approach may be better when I am more fully invested to keep costs down.

AJB may not have the best front end but I like their research and Russ Mold.  

7 hours ago, Admiral Pepe said:

Correct from what I understand, although I don't know how that actually works in practice. I assume can only be offset capital gains rather than income tax. Won't be applicable to me as I have no capital gains and shares were bought in my SIPP. I am content with the 5.75% yield, although would welcome being able to offset the "loss" if I'm incorrect.

Pretty sure (may have changed though) just for capital gains tax but that you can carry forward the loss for 3 years.  Plus use it against almost any type of gain.  Need to exceed the annual allowance first though and be outside of a tax wrapper like sipp or isa.

Interesting the buy was worth it.  I looked but assumed the low redemption yields I saw made this a non starter.  Or is this a pref rather than bond and their yields better due to lower current prices due to the Aviva fiasco?

Edited by Harley