• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Great Guy

Last share you bought?

4 hours ago, longtomsilver said:

Tesla is looking bullish again for me with support at ~260 area.

I hope to be out at 275. I would be happy with that. My lesson is that I am entering trades too early and not being patient enough. I think this is a fairly typical noob trait. I see the charts and just enter the trade. I should be watching for a short term catalyst before I go in. Like with Netflix today, if I was watching it, with all its momentum, I may not have just shorted at 280, I would have watched it shoot up and waited, possibly not even have gotten into the trade at all.

Posted (edited)

Back to work tomorrow, despite a cold (donated by a fellow trader, amongst several I've been kicking things around with the last week or so).  Going to kick the sh*t out of these markets this year!  Got strategies, tools, and mojo.  Plus lots of lovely volatility to play with.  No touchy touchy blah blah punter day trade rubbish mind you.  

Edited by Harley

1 hour ago, Harley said:

Back to work tomorrow, despite a cold (donated by a fellow trader, amongst several I've been kicking things around with the last week or so).  Going to kick the sh*t out of these markets this year!  Got strategies, tools, and mojo.  Plus lots of lovely volatility to play with.  No touchy touchy blah blah punter day trade rubbish mind you.  

Pray tell (broadly).

On 08/01/2019 at 23:58, billfunk said:

Pray tell (broadly).

Have to wait for me book, hopefully next Christmas, with a question that broad!!!!

Anything specific?

Anyways, gave up on the work idea as what's the point of this life if I can't let myself get over a cold first!

Back today but hard to jump back on this market right now.  Should have spent a few hours at year-end when the setups were nice and fresh.

Not to worry.  Something will come along, always does.

Edited by Harley

1 hour ago, Harley said:

Have to wait for me book, hopefully next Christmas, with a question that broad!!!!

Anything specific?

Anyways, gave up on the work idea as what's the point of this life if I can't let myself get over a cold first!

Back today but hard to jump back on this market right now.  Should have spent a few hours at year-end when the setups were nice and fresh.

Not to worry.  Something will come along, always does.

What setups do you look for? What strategies do you employ? What is your edge?

My limited (a few months) research suggests the optimal strategies for me are:

Forex - develop an algo and trade mechanically. There is no trend and there are no supports. Charting is meaningless. 

Shares - factor investing for big money, breakouts (biotech typically) for swing trading. Personally would not day trade or scalp.

Options - sell premium and harvest theta for income. Manage winners.

On 11/01/2019 at 17:04, billfunk said:

What setups do you look for? What strategies do you employ? What is your edge?

My limited (a few months) research suggests the optimal strategies for me are:

Forex - develop an algo and trade mechanically. There is no trend and there are no supports. Charting is meaningless. 

Shares - factor investing for big money, breakouts (biotech typically) for swing trading. Personally would not day trade or scalp.

Options - sell premium and harvest theta for income. Manage winners.

Sure. 

My setups are momentum based - Stochastic and MACD.  Look for STO crossing over 25 with MACD confirming in a certain way.

I now use weekly data as I'm currently focussed on building income equity based and Permenant (asset allocation) portfolios - i.e. buy and holds.

Limited to liquid stocks (selected using fundamentals), PMs and maybe some commodities. 

Selling signals are still a bit TBD but have decided on 3xlot sales at certain MACD setups, although not relevant for buy and holds.

My edge is to consistently apply a system to the appropriate (backtested) areas.  No buying stuff (e.g. juniors) from the hip (like when I started).

I will up my trading (as I believe we are now in a trading market) but will stick to daily/weekly as I believe this is where the big money (for less effort) is.

I also have other things to do with my life than watch screens all day.  So say a number of my trading friends, especially when they see what else I have going on.

Furthermore, had an "invasive" health check at the weekend.  Got the all clear but a dear friend not so lucky.  IMO deffo weekly and also get on with other stuff!

I'm looking to hedge/trade using inverse ETFs.  That is flip flop between say an FTSE ETF and an inverse FTSE ETF.  A buy signal in one becomes a sell in the other.

Yes strategies are personal - the suit has to fit and you have to know the stitching (detail) to know when it no longer fits.

Nice questions/comments.

Edited by Harley

Been buying today.  Only stopped as got pulled off to do something else before the bell. 

Maxed one equity income portfolio at 66% equity and 33% cash.  Will place the 33% into either a FTSE ETF or FTSE inverse ETF when I get a clear signal either way.  The FTSE weekly gave me a signal a while back but these are volatile times so am waiting, especially as the inverse ETF is possibly slowly heading towards a possible buy signal (intend flip flopping between these two ETFs).

I only set up the above portfolio in Jan 18 with two buying events in March and October.  Overall it's up slightly when adding in dividend income.  OK given the 11.7% fall in the FTSE since Jan 18 and my desire to reduce (risky?) cash holdings in the event of an "event".  Also part of a overall balanced portfolio (e.g. hold some PMs).  But not good enough, hence the proposed attempt to hedge equity against equity.

Most FTSE stocks I bought shared a similar pattern where they had retraced a bit from an earlier buy signal.  I've either been given a second chance, having been off since Christmas, or I'm about to get an early slapping!  Very company rather than sector specific (although I restrict myself to the more defensive and/or high yielders).  Did buy a bit of one new (transport) company, something I've been trying to do for a while.  The technicals looked OK but the price chart was a worry so only a very small amount of seed money.

Bonds seem a mixed bag (either unappealing or already running).  PMs already running.  Specific commodites might become interesting.  US a mixed bag.  DAX rebounds or fails to break resistance?   

All the above is now historic data so not current trading advice, and anyways my (non-trading) performance is modest at best!

Edited by Harley

I have just signed up to Stockopedia using NakedTrader's 25% discount - £169 for the year. It has a nice "feel" and the information is presented clearly. It explains the jargon and statistics well and has plenty of "guru" screens which I have been using for ideas. I do find it is a little focused on the left hand side of the chart instead of the right hand side. For example, the super-stock category usually features stocks that have been successful in the past. This is not always a good indication of future performance as we have seen on here (I think @201p showed how these "superstocks" are quite hit and miss). The major advantage for me is that I can get super quick analysis of financial strength. The major weakness is that it gives no hints at timing entries.

Which brings me to my next likely investment: https://optionalpha.com/signals

It is record of backtested technical indicators. I first saw these guys on youtube talking about options. The bloke speaks with clarity and does not appear to bullshit so is as credible as a random internet bloke could be, I guess. I am mulling over the $200 price tag. It would probably take me longer in man hours to achieve something similar and I am just an amateur prone to error whilst their tests *should* be examined and reviewed prior to publication.

I am staying out of the market for now and just waiting for this Brexit malarkey to unfold. When I start to go in, it will likely be with the fundamentals as presented by Stockopedia, with the technical indicators of OptionAlpha. Exiting times.

Edited by billfunk