• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
The XYY Man

Me window won't open...!

Question

Suddenly, I can't open my window.

Turn the handle - but only one side seems to unlock.

Not sure if it's the handle itself, or the mechanism that locks the window - but the landlord doesn't give a shit, and I want to fix it.

Any clues from DOSBODders who've had a similar problem...?

XYY

16 answers to this question

Handle off it is then and try the above. If you have similar windows open one of those up first and then you will be able to see how the lock mechanism works and where it is so you know whether to put the allen key if you need to try the second fix where the lock mechanism is broken.

9 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

Suddenly, I can't open my window.

Turn the handle - but only one side seems to unlock.

Not sure if it's the handle itself, or the mechanism that locks the window - but the landlord doesn't give a shit, and I want to fix it.

XYY

Bloody hell, I thought you were more inventive that that. Just put it through. Problem solved. :)

1 hour ago, The XYY Man said:

.... but the landlord doesn't give a shit, and I want to fix it.

XYY

Punch him in the stomach and when he bends over, an uppercut to the face will fix it.

You will have  to get  a new house! 

Got a picture? Cause might be damp/swollen window that won't budge and lock mechanism is still working properly or mechanism has bust for some reason/corrosion. If yo can gain access from inside this is sometimes where you can remove the lock handle/mechanism and release but does depend on type.

28 minutes ago, onlyme said:

Got a picture? Cause might be damp/swollen window that won't budge and lock mechanism is still working properly or mechanism has bust for some reason/corrosion. If yo can gain access from inside this is sometimes where you can remove the lock handle/mechanism and release but does depend on type.

It a large upvc window that is hinged at the top and the handle is on the bottom. The left hand side is released when the handle is turned to the open position, but the right hand side is still locked. :(

XYY

10 hours ago, The XYY Man said:

It a large upvc window that is hinged at the top and the handle is on the bottom. The left hand side is released when the handle is turned to the open position, but the right hand side is still locked. :(

XYY

Put the key in the lock and turn it it might then be unlocked :D

On 03/11/2018 at 12:50, The XYY Man said:

Cheers lads.  @Option5 @onlyme

I'm far too pissed to try this right now, but I'm off work until Thursday and will give it a go next time I'm sober and let you know how I get on.

:)

XYY

Did you ever sober up?

Did you ever fix the window?

A fairly common issue with fuckwitt property owners (spivy little landlords born at the right time) is replacing crittle windows (that were load bearing) with uPVC windows that are not. Masonry is an incredible material for spreading load but really should have had a lintel installed. If no lintel then most probably the weight of the wall above has warped the frame and has jammed the window.

2 minutes ago, Adarmo said:

Did you ever sober up?

Did you ever fix the window?

A fairly common issue with fuckwitt property owners (spivy little landlords born at the right time) is replacing crittle windows (that were load bearing) with uPVC windows that are not. Masonry is an incredible material for spreading load but really should have had a lintel installed. If no lintel then most probably the weight of the wall above has warped the frame and has jammed the window.

Answer is no to both of your questions. ;)

I just love being a drunken cunt me like...

;)

XYY

2 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

Answer is no to both of your questions. ;)

I just love being a drunken cunt me like...

;)

XYY

I finished dry jan with an entire bottle. Girlfriend is disgusted.... but she's got to be up early while I enjoy the stove, this site and a modest cheese board. 

1 hour ago, Adarmo said:

I finished dry jan with an entire bottle. Girlfriend is disgusted.... but she's got to be up early while I enjoy the stove, this site and a modest cheese board. 

Is the plan to have a wet February now?

7 hours ago, Carl Fimble said:

Is the plan to have a wet February now?

Drenching :) although might have to start drinking less in a night...