DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

The DOSBODS Wagner Appreciation Society

Stunley Andwin

Stunley Andwin

At the risk of being the only member, I would like to start the DOSBODS Wagner Appreciation Society. Let us start with the greatest of all, the magnificent Tannhäuser Overture.

Join in and post your favourite Wagner.

• Agree 3

Stunley Andwin
On 05/11/2018 at 12:56, The XYY Man said:

XYY

Yer daft Northern A'porth! Get that pelt that you have balancing on the top of your head and that dreadful Mrs XYY down to the edge of Valhalla and listen to some proper music.

• Agree 1

Stunley Andwin
On 07/11/2018 at 22:06, MrPin said:

Wagner (Richard) was not very tall.

The music of Wagner is not half as bad as it sounds.

That's the spirit MrPin! He also had a quite remarkable beard.

rw2.jpg?w=604

Here is the Lohengrin Prelude.

• Agree 1

• 9 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just when I thought Dosbods couldn't be any more 'me' I discover a Wagner appreciation thread.

I know it's probably the obvious choice but it's got to be Gotterdammerung, Siegfrieds death and funeral march for me.

Edited by Royston
  • Agree 1

@The XYY Man I kept thinking Robert Wagner was the actor who appeared in a couple of Columbo episodes in the 1970s. :S I was actually thinking of Robert Vaughn.

Robert Wagner *may* have some information about Natalie Wood's demise in 1981. :ph34r:

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

And as weird as it may seem - and I am NOT taking the piss here - when I was thinking of who the fuck Robert Wagner was earlier when he popped into my head as a possible piss-take on the Wagner thread, I kept thinking that he was the bloke who played Napoleon Solo in "The Man From UNCLE".

Which of course was Robert Vaughan...!

Who in turn was not the gadgie featured in my original post, who was in fact the bloke that got to bone Mrs Hart - (She's fucking gorgeous) - every week, while Max carried their luggage all round the world, and manfully kept Freeway's shitty fucking arse-crack clean wherever the Harts may have been solving murders.

Proper fucking spooky that like Bongo mate....

;)

XYY

I think it's about time you reviewed you medication 🙊

Stunley Andwin
8 hours ago, lid said:

It's threads like this that make me think that I'm quite an uncouth guy. I'm gonna listen to this and I'll get back to you

I would recommend starting with some of the preludes and overtures. I have to admit to finding some of the longer operatic passages rather boring, as Rossini said Wagner has amazing moments but dreadful quarter hours.

This one isn't dull though.

maynardgravy
On 31/03/2020 at 10:52, The XYY Man said:

Has anybody mentioned the Nazi connotations of Wagner...?

No..?

Well I guess I just have...

XYY

And Shostakovich was a member of Stalin's communist party (albeit mostly forced). Doesn't stop him being the supreme musical genius of the 20th century. 

On 31/03/2020 at 10:52, The XYY Man said:

Has anybody mentioned the Nazi connotations of Wagner...?

No..?

Well I guess I just have...

XYY

Wagner, in particular Gotterdammerung,  always invoked images in me of the rise of the glorious Third Reich and it's relentless march across Europe before it's tragic downfall... even before I became aware that the Nazis were big fanboys of his.