• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
shindigger

CPU running temps.

Question

Have had a few drop outs of graphics and audio. Opened up the laptop and cleaned everything. Was quite dusty.

Drop outs persist.

Was about to buy some thermal paste and go to town on the CPU and GPU but thought i'd run a diagnostic first.

CPU hottest 61c

GPU hottest 53c

Is that within normal limits?

I'm guessing its not too bad.

6 answers to this question

Junction temperatures will be higher so might be a problem, not familiar what typical temps would be. Tests to do would be to run the same apps that are causing crashes from cold, maybe with additional help using vac near at air outlet to boost the cooling - no faults in the first few minutes whilst heating up and definitely have an overheating problem. IF dropouts are really irregular then may not be a reliable test though. Galleys in laptops are a swine to clear out properly, compressed air will be needed to do a really good job.

On 08/11/2018 at 13:54, shindigger said:

Have had a few drop outs of graphics and audio. Opened up the laptop and cleaned everything. Was quite dusty.

Drop outs persist.

Was about to buy some thermal paste and go to town on the CPU and GPU but thought i'd run a diagnostic first.

CPU hottest 61c

GPU hottest 53c

Is that within normal limits?

I'm guessing its not too bad.

That's nomal. Worry when it gets over 80.

This very laptop used to overheat, but I removed the bottom and cleaned the fluff out of the fan.

4 hours ago, MrPin said:

That's nomal. Worry when it gets over 80.

This very laptop used to overheat, but I removed the bottom and cleaned the fluff out of the fan.

Agreed.

When my computer wasn’t cooling properly the processor used to run at over 80 deg without cutting out.

I would say at 60 your only a little over normal operating temperature. 

Sounds like you found the problem.. the other thing to consider is a new PSU..  if it’s no longer putting out enough power that can cause inexplicable system instability.

On 22/11/2018 at 13:23, Libspero said:

Agreed.

When my computer wasn’t cooling properly the processor used to run at over 80 deg without cutting out.

I would say at 60 your only a little over normal operating temperature. 

Sounds like you found the problem.. the other thing to consider is a new PSU..  if it’s no longer putting out enough power that can cause inexplicable system instability.

Look for the simplest solution first.

It's running at 40 degC now.