DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Stockopedia

deathfunk

Is Stockopedia worth the subscription fee or should I be looking for lower cost (free) screeners instead? As a noob I am drawn in by the pre-programmed "GuruScreens" as I think they may teach me a thing or too. Alternatively they could just be a gimmick for lazy arses who don't want to read the books. Has anyone else subscribed to Stockopedia and would they recommend it? If not Stockopedia, which screener would DOSBODS financial geniuses recommend?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Check your broker, they will likely have a screener somewhere on their backend. WeBull is a very good and free application, can be used on browser, native desktop app or mobile app.  https://www.webull.com/download

As far as guru screens. Well they are all a load of bollocks really. Can you trust analyst recommendations? With all the published financial information at your fingertips you still don't know the half of it. Although If they offer a free trial no harm in trying and see if you will get the moneys worth with a full subscription.

On 10/11/2018 at 00:01, billfunk said:

Is Stockopedia worth the subscription fee or should I be looking for lower cost (free) screeners instead? As a noob I am drawn in by the pre-programmed "GuruScreens" as I think they may teach me a thing or too. Alternatively they could just be a gimmick for lazy arses who don't want to read the books. Has anyone else subscribed to Stockopedia and would they recommend it? If not Stockopedia, which screener would DOSBODS financial geniuses recommend?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

I think they get a lot of interest - I went to a trade show, and literally could not get in there as they were so busy. They are the real deal from what I've seen. If you like what the founder, what Ed Croft talks about, and you have a trade plan, to make the most of the generated ideas, you could make some coin if the market conditions are right.

I don't have a subscription but have been thinking about it in case I run out of ideas.

Ed worked at Goldman, so he knows his onions. Stockopedia also has a commentator, good Paul Scott, who is another real deal investor and has a blog that is worth reading on a regular basis https://www.stockopedia.com/contributors/paul-scott/

A quick look and the featured deal is £225 a year for UK stocks. You have to think, if I try it for a year, and don't make my money back (and don't subscribe to any other service or journal) after a year, then it was worth £225 to find out as a business cost to your trading/investing business. It's another £150/year for US stocks (and you need to think about a W-8 form if holding US stoocks in a ISA). Maybe club together if you have a friend or relative that's into stocks.

Can I have this as a Christmas present (wife/santa?)

There are a number of Ed Croft videos out there. If you do you own research, then make a decision afterwards.

Here's a starter:

Also, if anyone does have a subscription, did it pick up the disaster at CAKE? 

One thing these screeners can't spot are black swans, I believe. So position size accordingly.

1 hour ago, 201p said:

Ed worked at Goldman, so he knows his onions.

That probably says all I need to know xD. Just started playing the first video and he's already sounding like another ex Goldman trader that is selling a system.

I went to give Stockopedia a go with their free trial, signed up with all my details, then bang, next page is put in your credit card details. Can't be arsed with those crappy business practices in 2018. If the software is fantastic it will sell itself within a few weeks.

1 hour ago, 201p said:

Also, if anyone does have a subscription, did it pick up the disaster at CAKE? 

One thing these screeners can't spot are black swans, I believe. So position size accordingly.

Doubtful.

13 hours ago, 201p said:

I think they get a lot of interest - I went to a trade show, and literally could not get in there as they were so busy. They are the real deal from what I've seen. If you like what the founder, what Ed Croft talks about, and you have a trade plan, to make the most of the generated ideas, you could make some coin if the market conditions are right.

I don't have a subscription but have been thinking about it in case I run out of ideas.

Ed worked at Goldman, so he knows his onions. Stockopedia also has a commentator, good Paul Scott, who is another real deal investor and has a blog that is worth reading on a regular basis https://www.stockopedia.com/contributors/paul-scott/

A quick look and the featured deal is £225 a year for UK stocks. You have to think, if I try it for a year, and don't make my money back (and don't subscribe to any other service or journal) after a year, then it was worth £225 to find out as a business cost to your trading/investing business. It's another £150/year for US stocks (and you need to think about a W-8 form if holding US stoocks in a ISA). Maybe club together if you have a friend or relative that's into stocks.

Can I have this as a Christmas present (wife/santa?)

There are a number of Ed Croft videos out there. If you do you own research, then make a decision afterwards.

Here's a starter:

Thank you for your recommendation.

I have just started out and would see this service as educational as much as anything else. I have invested in bonds (2 units), a few index trackers (3 units) and Lindsall Train, Fundsmith and Dodge and Cox (1 unit each).

I only intend to invest one unit on my own choice of stock. £225 a year would be a decent chunk initially, though less proportionally as I drop more cash into the ISA.

I may sign up as a leisure-educational activity to begin with as I enjoy looking at numbers and charts and seeing analysis. Hell, if I don't like it, or use it. I can cancel.

I see I can sign up to the US for £300 a year. That interests me as I believe in the US as the engine of growth. Hopefully the UK can Singapore itself after Brexit. Maybe I will have to fill in that damn form. Guess I could get some Berkshire Hathaway aswell. I like the idea of sleeping at night.

18 minutes ago, billfunk said:

Thank you for your recommendation.

I have just started out and would see this service as educational as much as anything else. I have invested in bonds (2 units), a few index trackers (3 units) and Lindsall Train, Fundsmith and Dodge and Cox (1 unit each).

I only intend to invest one unit on my own choice of stock. £225 a year would be a decent chunk initially, though less proportionally as I drop more cash into the ISA.

I may sign up as a leisure-educational activity to begin with as I enjoy looking at numbers and charts and seeing analysis. Hell, if I don't like it, or use it. I can cancel.

What made you choose those funds? when you say a unit, do you literally mean a single unit? Your trading costs will soon mount up if that's the case.

5 minutes ago, Admiral Pepe said:

What made you choose those funds? when you say a unit, do you literally mean a single unit? Your trading costs will soon mount up if that's the case.

Actively managed funds with good reputations. A unit is just an arbitrary figure I use to break my portfolio up. I thought it would be more inclusive give how unequally wealth is distributed. One man's grand is another man's million.

1 minute ago, billfunk said:

Actively managed funds with good reputations. A unit is just an arbitrary figure I use to break my portfolio up. I thought it would be more inclusive give how unequally wealth is distributed. One man's grand is another man's million.

Without knowing the exact funds/indexes, on the face of it, you might have quite a bit of crossover/duplication. Obviously, if that's what you're comfortable with and intended then it's all good. Just thought I would give you a heads up. Yes, you're right about the different figures, it makes sense you're using units, just when you said you were starting out thought you may have been making bit of a schoolboy. Sounds like you're well ahead of the game!

3 minutes ago, Admiral Pepe said:

Without knowing the exact funds/indexes, on the face of it, you might have quite a bit of crossover/duplication. Obviously, if that's what you're comfortable with and intended then it's all good. Just thought I would give you a heads up. Yes, you're right about the different figures, it makes sense you're using units, just when you said you were starting out thought you may have been making bit of a schoolboy. Sounds like you're well ahead of the game!

Yeah. One thing I have noticed is that I do indeed have a lot of duplication in all aspects. I am happiest with the duplication in the actively managed funds though. I am considering selling two trackers and one bond and buying some of your Balfour Beatty preference shares, maybe Aviva preference shares and standard VOD shares just to test the forum's collective knowledge.

It is a learning experience for me and I am definitely making schoolboy errors. A big part at the moment is not making any stinkers whilst becoming accustomed to volatility. As I only have a fraction of my wealth invested so far I can deal with the pain of a duplicated loss across 3 units worth of funds. This is why I am attracted to stockopedia because it will educate me to make more deliberate, considered decisions rather than the essentially lazy ones that I have been making to date.

That said, I have the x-ray on my portfolio and it is 50% defensive, 33% cyclical and the remainder sensitive which is probably where I want to be given I am expecting a post-Brexit wobble (?)

• 3 weeks later...

So 2 small winners, 2 losers and 1 break evens (at this point in time).

One must remember it has largely been a flat to bear market in the UK (see the FTSE ALL share index and FTSE AIM index), so actually picking a huge winner is tougher. 2017 and 2016 were much better years. It will be interesting to see his update on these picks in his next appearance in the UK investor show 2019.

So Stockopedia is good to generate ideas - but you are still at the mercy of the greater market indices. And then you need a system to manage risk (limit your loss on GFM), and know when to sell when the trend ends, which would have captured solid gains from PLUS and CCC.

Untitled.thumb.jpg.afbe7b77d3d842d2151f4b64567af88e.jpg

On 02/12/2018 at 17:23, 201p said:

So 2 small winners, 2 losers and 1 break evens (at this point in time).

One must remember it has largely been a flat to bear market in the UK (see the FTSE ALL share index and FTSE AIM index), so actually picking a huge winner is tougher. 2017 and 2016 were much better years. It will be interesting to see his update on these picks in his next appearance in the UK investor show 2019.

So Stockopedia is good to generate ideas - but you are still at the mercy of the greater market indices. And then you need a system to manage risk (limit your loss on GFM), and know when to sell when the trend ends, which would have captured solid gains from PLUS and CCC.

Untitled.thumb.jpg.afbe7b77d3d842d2151f4b64567af88e.jpg

Two winners, two losers and a break even...probability wise a Chimpanzee could do as well and I would only have to pay him a few bananas! :-)

• 2 months later...

PLUS has had a nasty drop of some 30% on results.

----

This puts the picks

Start price May 2018               Today

GFM 155p                                  108p     -30%
SCS 210p                                    228p    +8%
CMS 65p                                     71p      +9%
PLUS 1600p                               1133p  -29%
CCC 1300p                                 1102p  -15%

Average -11%

Not doubting Stockopedia's picks, but it in a bear to flat market it is difficult to make money being a bull.

36 minutes ago, 201p said:

PLUS has had a nasty drop of some 30% on results.

----

This puts the picks

GFM 155p                                  108p     -30%
SCS 210p                                    228p    +8%
CMS 65p                                     71p      +9%
PLUS 1600p                               1133p  -29%
CCC 1300p                                 1102p  -15%

Average -11%

Not doubting Stockopedia's picks, but it in a bear to flat market it is difficult to make money being a bull.

Yes, I bought Plus500 for 1499p on 16th Jan largely due to the Stocko score. Luckily I am playing with little more than beer money so will still be able to sleep at night. It is now roughly 6 weeks since I signed up the Stocko UK so I know a little more about the service now.

The NAPS for last year returned -43% and are +5% for this year. (2017 and 2016 were 100% rises if I remember). So it looks like Stocko is good for providing alpha in a bull market, but poor at protecting against losses in a bear market. Really, for my money (£165 spent on the annual subscription plus the Plus500 loss) I would expect permanent alpha in all market conditions. Maybe they should factor in macro indicators to take account of the overall state of the market - like Coppock or the bloke Minervini uses...) as well as sector specific concerns. Perhaps.

The feeling I get with Stocko is that it is useful information service which nods and winks at providing alpha, almost being a stock picking system, but when it fails can always claim to be just an information service. I need to decide in my own mind what it means to me and use it accordingly. I can't defend myself from 30% losses by saying "yeah, but the Stocko rating was 98 - screw Stocko!". That doesn't help me and it certainly doesn't make me any better off.

Secondly, as previously noted the Stocko scores are, to a degree, retrospective. I have little doubt that the Quality rating for Plus500 will now drop and the overall score will drop below 80 (no longer a buy). Being wise after the event does not help!

Definitely Stocko is great for generating ideas in a bull market. I have no doubt it can provide huge returns as a tool to investing.

You just have to know what a bear market looks like and stay mostly in cash during it. Then when the bull comes back, as it invariably does, then it is time to steam ahead and ride the wave.

A few things can indicate a bear market, such as the SP500 and NASDAQ indice action on the 200D moving average, the 4 year Presidential cycle, and the DOW/Gold ratio.

---

On the flip side; Perhaps the low stock scores of Stockopedia could be used to short stocks during this period- but that is much tougher to do.

6 minutes ago, 201p said:

Definitely Stocko is great for generating ideas in a bull market. I have no doubt it can provide huge returns as a tool to investing.

You just have to know what a bear market looks like and stay mostly in cash during it. Then when the bull comes back, as it invariably does, then it is time to steam ahead and ride the wave.

A few things can indicate a bear market, such as the SP500 and NASDAQ indice action on the 200D moving average, the 4 year Presidential cycle, and the DOW/Gold ratio.

Yeah, I am 90% in pezzy NSandI Premium and Income Bonds. I am the kind of person that needs some skin in the game in order to learn. There is no self-deception when you play with real money. 

200DMA on SP500 and NASDAQ? They are both near-as-damn-it touching it! So are they going to bounce off and head lower or crash through it an reassert the bull?

^No one can predict the future! So much hinges on the Trump trade talks and Brexit right now. We won't know for a few months. A few pen strokes from our illustrious leaders, and we could be back into a new highs, but really there's no rush to pile into investments right now. Probability wise, we are overdue a global recession - parts of the EU like Italy are already in one. Maybe this one will be mild, and Trump pulls something off that gets the wheels turning again.

The gold market is poised for a really good run IF things turn sour. The stock markets are poised to repair the technical damage of the last 3 months falls  IF things work out. 

IF in doubt, the previous trend is valid. 

• 1 month later...

^Well we hope. The markets have been pretty lacklustre - and a recession is well overdue. Can the markets have some more free money?

----

I note that Stockopedia won't be at this years UK Investor show - what a shame! 

It has been a tough market - so I can understand that having a long only portfolio, even with the best stocks, can lead to disappointing results in a flat to falling market. A final update on the picks....

GFM 155p                                  102.5p     -33.8%
SCS 210p                                    234p    +11.4%
CMS 65p                                     71p      +9% Got taken over by OSG Bidco Ltd in December 2018 at 71p
PLUS 1600p                               719p  -55%
CCC 1300p                                 1080p  -16.9%

Archived