DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Cake shop

sarahbell

Just now, sarahbell said:

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/commercial-property-for-sale/property-72641264.html

been in and had a pie and a cake from here after a very long day out. 

Business
Freehold £165,000 +SAV
Leasehold £46,000 +SAV

What does SAV mean?

(Not interesting in buying it at all)

How much? For a cake shop?  Just hope there is a police station round the corner to buy up all the doughnuts. 

1 minute ago, One percent said:

How much? For a cake shop?  Just hope there is a police station round the corner to buy up all the doughnuts. 

Pies too. lol.
No there's not.
It's a busy road but you'll struggle to park. 

Pies too. lol.
No there's not.
It's a busy road but you'll struggle to park. 

No passing trade then. 

Someone I knew, a business man, said to me that no one ever sells on the open market a cracking business. They either keep it or sell it to someone they know. 

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.5295338,-2.0867503,3a,75y,62.03h,82.23t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sfI1iOiIJnRRlJbOkSvRdng!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

there are spaces outside but it's busy. 

2 minutes ago, One percent said:

No passing trade then. 

Someone I knew, a business man, said to me that no one ever sells on the open market a cracking business. They either keep it or sell it to someone they know. 

SAV = stock at valuation.  If you buy it as a going concern then you'll take over the stuff they've made and not sold, materials, etc.  I can't imagine it will be an important number for a bakers.

2 hours ago, One percent said:

No passing trade then. 

By the time anything commercial gets to RM you know its because they've exhausted every other normal avenue of selling it... generally because they want a lot more than they'd get through the standard channels.

1 minute ago, Cosmic Apple said:

By the time anything commercial gets to RM you know its because they've exhausted every other normal avenue of selling it... generally because they want a lot more than they'd get through the standard channels.

👍

17 minutes ago, dgul said:

SAV = stock at valuation.  If you buy it as a going concern then you'll take over the stuff they've made and not sold, materials, etc.  I can't imagine it will be an important number for a bakers.

Itll be commercial mixers and ovens and the like.

Pointless niggling over that sort of stuff.

Sure you might have spent 20k on this that n other. But youd need to pay someone to tske the stuff away.

And you should have been depreciating stuff over 5-10 years.

15 minutes ago, Cosmic Apple said:

Not only that.

Freehold or leasehold.

Desperate.

Assuming the figures are correct and repeatable

'The business is currently generating an advised turnover of around £156,000 per annum, with a gross profit of 51%'

80k cash. 2 girls serving @ 10k. Wage profit of 50k.

Fo the flat, rentt it for 350m.

5 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Right move commercial is a horror show.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/commercial-property-for-sale/property-69254360.html

You want me to pay you 50k to take on a lease of 60k with 1 year remaining???

I have never been in that pub. 

I cant find the link but they had guests a couple of years ago and they, I kid you not, wrote really bad reviews after buggering off because the seagulls woke them up. o.O

20 hours ago, dgul said:

Ta! 

19 hours ago, spygirl said:

Assuming the figures are correct and repeatable

'The business is currently generating an advised turnover of around £156,000 per annum, with a gross profit of 51%'

80k cash. 2 girls serving @ 10k. Wage profit of 50k.

Fo the flat, rentt it for 350m.

Currently employs 5 staff plus owner.
Who's doing the baking?
Are they 5 tax credit jobs? 

Ta! 

Currently employs 5 staff plus owner.
Who's doing the baking?
Are they 5 tax credit jobs? 

6 days x 8 hours = 48 / 5 = 9h/head - more than likely.

1 minute ago, spygirl said:

6 days x 8 hours = 48 / 5 = 9h/head - more than likely.

No NI to pay? (Or is there, can't remember the cutoff) 
So is there any money in it? 
Nah.

Worked out they have to take about 500 quid a day to make that turnover. That's 250 cakes at £2 each.

3 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Nah.

Worked out they have to take about 500 quid a day to make that turnover. That's 250 cakes at £2 each.

Yeah. Thats was o nth tax credir v2 thread.

No employer NI under 9kish.

500/d = 62/h = ~1/min.

Ive been in some some bakers - at dinner time mind - whre you've had 4-6 people in fornt me, each spending ~5. All in 5m.

Admitting, they big turnover will be 11am->3pm.

Doable esp. if there's lot of fat bastards locally.

9 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Nah.

The problem here is that you've the sale of a business called 'being a baker' which is currently run by 'a person experienced at being a baker' and who is supplying the figures.

• If you're already 'a person experienced at being a baker' you'd know how to open a business there (no need to buy a going concern).
  • If you're not already 'a person experienced at being a baker' you'd probably be well advised to start small while you gain the experience.

The likelihood is this'll be bought (if at all) by someone 'with the passion to become a baker', in which case they'll probably find that their turnover and profits don't match that of the previous person running the business.

IMO -- I can imagine about a gazillion better places to have a bakers / sandwich shop, but I'm no expert.

20 hours ago, dgul said:

IMO -- I can imagine about a gazillion better places to have a bakers / sandwich shop, but I'm no expert.

Yes! 

I was just interested as it's a shop I've been in once and it's for sale.
I am not and never will be a baker.

man o' the year
On 12/11/2018 at 17:22, sarahbell said:

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/commercial-property-for-sale/property-72641264.html

been in and had a pie and a cake from here after a very long day out. 

Business
Freehold £165,000 +SAV
Leasehold £46,000 +SAV

What does SAV mean?

(Not interesting in buying it at all)

Stock at valuation would be cakes and flour etc only. Ovens and the like would be included in fixtures and fittings if owned and not rented.

On 13/11/2018 at 16:04, spygirl said:

Yeah. Thats was o nth tax credir v2 thread.

No employer NI under 9kish.

500/d = 62/h = ~1/min.

Ive been in some some bakers - at dinner time mind - whre you've had 4-6 people in fornt me, each spending ~5. All in 5m.

Admitting, they big turnover will be 11am->3pm.

Doable esp. if there's lot of fat bastards locally.

Appears to be all about the pies (judging by the photo, listing, equipment list). As OP sell them a pie and cake a day. I could probably eat a pie a day but I’d get big, really big, but could imagine could get to £5 per customer.

Not sure on sandwiches- need more labour for that if they are making them up on request? Edit( I have seen a few sandwich places succeed in my local area but most fail.Even the Subways closed - franchise cost or H&S / regulation shutdown?)

Archived