DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

tlc

Our kitten has tripled in size in 2 months.

He is of the largest domestic cat breed (will between 6-9 kilos when adult) who constantly eats and shits. I gagging atm :Sick1:

Any tips to reduce the smell?

Our Moggy is an outdoor cat so never had this problem before...

41 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Can it go outside?

Clay litter is vile stuff. Wood pellets is better imo. 

No he's only 4 months old. He can't go out.

He's gorgeous, big and daft

On 12/11/2018 at 17:59, JackieO said:

He is of the largest domestic cat breed (will between 6-9 kilos when adult) who constantly eats and shits. I gagging atm :Sick1:

I was going to make it shit outside but you’re saying that’s not possible, how old does she need to be til she can go outside?

Only thing I can think of is to get a few

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dung_beetle

Maybe you could train them to roll it outside?

xD

Or get an air filter with an ioniser maybe?

You get about 30 seconds between the deposit into the box and the rankest foulest smell pervading the hosue.

Some of the cat litter brands purport to 'absorb' smells but I don't see how. One with a 'hood over the top' may keep some of the smell in but then the cat may not use it.

The only way I can think of is to have the tray somewhere vaguely near a window or source of ventilation from which the smell may escape but the cat cannot.

And hear it and be very quick about getting rid of it when it's done.

• 2 weeks later...
Happy Renting

The more it shits, the slower it will grow.

Long time lurking

Get rid of the cat ?

Fully Detached

We've just had to resort to a litter tray because our ageing cat is past her days of going outside. The best litter I've found is the expensive Tesco stuff - it's very fine granules with blue bits in it, and it really does keep the smell down. That said, it will only work if your cat actually bothers to bury it's shit, if not it's pointless. The other downside of the fine granules is that the cat kicks it all over the floor, so it's a daily hover job as well.

• 2 weeks later...

We got to the point where we put the litter tray (one of those covered ones) in our bathroom and poo scoop twice a day into the toilet, empty the whole thing every 2 days, keeps the smell down and it's better than them treading in it and walking it through the house. Oh and the only litter we use is Catsan, everything else was a waste of time/money.

Anyone who tries to tell me that "cats are clean", I just laugh..... They're filthy animals!

On 27/11/2018 at 17:20, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Amateurs. 

At about 2 minutes 25 or 2 min 30.

I used to train dogs to Championship level in Obedience, also qualified to judge at that level and have judged internationally. A very good friend is one of the top Obedience trainers in the country using operant conditioning/behaviour shaping methods.

In short I know good seriously good dog training and trainers, both here and abroad.

My point...

That guy has to be the best animal trainer I have ever seen.

I am bloody gobsmacked at the level of his skill and patience to train a bloody cat to that level!

Thanks for posting!

swiss_democracy_for_all
On 15/12/2018 at 19:19, JackieO said:

I used to train dogs to Championship level in Obedience, also qualified to judge at that level and have judged internationally. A very good friend is one of the top Obedience trainers in the country using operant conditioning/behaviour shaping methods.

In short I know good seriously good dog training and trainers, both here and abroad.

My point...

I am bloody gobsmacked at the level of his skill and patience to train a bloody cat to that level!

Thanks for posting!

I think he said the training techniques useful for cats are more similar to those used with aquatic animals like dolphins. He has a whole YouTube channel detailing how it’s done, I think. Dog training techniques don’t work too well on domestic cats, it seems, but contrary to belief, they are trainable. 

The same method can be used on many animals being first used on chickens in the US in the 50/60s I think.

Cats can trained in this way but you need an enormous amount of patience which this guy has in spades.

• 4 weeks later...
Happy Renting
On 15/12/2018 at 18:19, JackieO said:

My point...

Thanks for posting!

Having owned a couple of cats, it usually ends up that the cats train their owners.

Archived