• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
sarahbell

Pathological demand avoidance

1 minute ago, One percent said:

Don’t they feel it is just pisspoor parenting?  If I had behaved like that, or my children had.....

Apparently not:
Characteristics ascribed to the condition include greater refusal to do what is asked of the person, even to activities the person would normally like.

Pathological demand avoidance (PDA) is increasingly, but not universally, accepted as a behaviour profile that is seen in some individuals on the autism spectrum.

Many parents of children with a demand avoidant profile feel that they have been wrongly accused of poor parenting through a lack of understanding. These parents need a lot of support, as their children can present with severe behavioural challenges.

All bullshit.

One real thing that does seem to be bubbling is issues from parents smoking Skunk strengh weed around babies and young kids.

Im hearing more and more anecdotal comments on this esp. boys.

Kids turn up, proper autism-like beavhiour. Not kids who've just been ignored due to their parents smoking.

Parent or parents really hamemr dope, smokign inside the house. Book bags come in stinking.

5 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Kids turn up, proper autism-like beavhiour. Not kids who've just been ignored due to their parents smoking.

Parent or parents really hamemr dope, smokign inside the house. Book bags come in stinking.

Yup primary school teacher told me that she didn't like book bags coming back in. Told her far too much about the family life at home.

5 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Yup primary school teacher told me that she didn't like book bags coming back in. Told her far too much about the family life at home.

Ibe no issue with smoking weed but not inside, with young kids - or worst - knocked up missus, or even worse - knocked up woman smoking weed.

Ive smelt book bags that absolutely reeked - glasto tent stink.

I always thought that a diagnosis of Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) or Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) was very often inappropriately placed upon the child.

I alwasy assumed the Attention Deficit was a problem of the parents

Parents permanantly stuck on their smartphones, FB, Tinder, Whatsapp, or other more improtant pastimes.

Edited by Hopeful

24 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

I always thought that a diagnosis of Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) or Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) was very often inappropriately placed upon the child.

I alwasy assumed the Attention Deficit was a problem of the parents

Parents permanantly stuck on their smartphones, FB, Tinder, Whatsapp, or other more improtant pastimes.

I've heard ADD referred to as 'Absence of Dad's Discipline'. 

I assumed it was for this reason they changed it to ADHD.

fuck em. When these kids grow up and the parents are dead (or deadbeat) and they get out in the real world and try that on, they'll find that the real world can be worse to them than they ever can be to it. They'll be avoided and dumped on from a great height, and no one will give a flying fuck about them and where they end up. Those pies wont come flying through the door into her mouth as if by magic anymore.

On 13/11/2018 at 16:54, One percent said:

Don’t they feel it is just pisspoor parenting?  If I had behaved like that, or my children had.....

Yes, they seem to assume the other 98% of children spring from the womb eager to say please, tidy their rooms and do their homework without being asked. FFS!

2 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

Yes, they seem to assume the other 98% of children spring from the womb eager to say please, tidy their rooms and do their homework without being asked. FFS!

And if they don’t, that’s what the education system is for 

Was talking to someone the other day looking at a link between alcohol intake during pregnancy and ADHD. As no lower safe limit is known they think some problems like adhd may be mild form of fetal alcohol syndrome.

2 minutes ago, maudit said:

Was talking to someone the other day looking at a link between alcohol intake during pregnancy and ADHD. As no lower safe limit is known they think some problems like adhd may be mild form of fetal alcohol syndrome.

I got pissed as a rat when pregnant with my first. Didn’t know I was pregnant at the time and was filled with angst. She turned out fine.... 

6 minutes ago, One percent said:

I got pissed as a rat when pregnant with my first. Didn’t know I was pregnant at the time and was filled with angst. She turned out fine.... 

I think most women probably do during early stages - there is more than likely a critical period in fetal development when sustained, excessive alcohol does the harm. 100% this is not some random misfortune though. 

We know someone with a ‘ADHD’ kid. Dad was an alcoholic, went missing some evenings. Mum pathetic at any serious discipline. Went through a messy divorce, so home life must have been terrible for several years. No surprise he turned out how he did.

The boy purposely pulled our newly decorated Xmas tree down one year. Mum just brushed it off, like he had dropped his toast. Last time the missus invited them all round.

4 minutes ago, Rowley said:

The boy purposely pulled our newly decorated Xmas tree down one year. Mum just brushed it off, like he had dropped his toast. Last time the missus invited them all round.

That, right there, is your problem 

2 hours ago, maudit said:

Surely we would have no Muslim kids with ADHD were that the case. 

On 13/11/2018 at 16:56, sarahbell said:

Apparently not:
Characteristics ascribed to the condition include greater refusal to do what is asked of the person, even to activities the person would normally like.

Pathological demand avoidance (PDA) is increasingly, but not universally, accepted as a behaviour profile that is seen in some individuals on the autism spectrum.

Many parents of children with a demand avoidant profile feel that they have been wrongly accused of poor parenting through a lack of understanding. These parents need a lot of support, as their children can present with severe behavioural challenges.

Remainers then..

16 hours ago, One percent said:

14 hours ago, Sucralose Ray Leonard said:

Surely we would have no Muslim kids with ADHD were that the case. 

I am not that interested in this particular field of research but in general, if we find that exposure X causes outcome Y and observe the following:

1. person with X=1, Y=0

2. person with X=0, Y=1

does this disprove the causal factor we have identified?
No, for most non-communicable conditions there are many different causal pathways and interactions of factors.
For example with smoking and lung cancer we get people who smoke who do not develop lung cancer (X=1, Y=0) and people who get lung cancer who did not smoke (X=0, Y=1). The existence of these people does not disprove the general association but rather shows that the association  P(Y=1|X=1) is not 100% (case 1) and that there are other causes of lung cancer (case 2) ie P(Y=0|X=0) ^=0.

For alcohol and ADHD I would expect if they find a causal relationship it would apply to only a subset of ADHD cases (other cases being misdiagnosed naughty children and other causes such as genetics and parenting) and depend on the quantity of alcohol consumed, time period during pregnancy, and rate of liver processing of alcohol.

17 hours ago, maudit said:

I had a number of crappy jobs when younger, including the night shift on a factory production line producing cheap air fresheners. There was a quite attractive girl working there, so I started working near her and got chatting. Turned out she already had 2 kids despite being only 19. She told me (paraphrasing):

"When I had the first one, I was doing tons of speed all through the pregnancy, and he came out all hyper. Boy has so much energy I just can't be dealing with it. But I was young then and didn't know no better. So when I had the second one, I wised up. The whole time I was pregnant I didn't take no speed, just smoked LOADS of spliff. That one came out well mellow, hardly makes a fuss at all."

While I don't think she had a great grasp of science, you obviously can fuck kids up in the womb.

My wife was still on the pill for the first three months she was pregnant with our first. Doesn't seem to have done too much damage, although his index finger is longer than his ring finger like a girl.

12 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

Doesn't seem to have done too much damage, although his index finger is longer than his ring finger like a girl.

I bet he gets the piss ripped out of him at school. How's his throw?

;)