• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Happy Renting

THE REMAIN TRAP

Who will be Tory leader on 1st January 2019?  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be Tory leader on 1st January 2019?

• Treason May :(
    • David Davis
    • Sajid Javid
    • Boris
    • Andrea Leadsom
    • Jacob Rees-Mogg
    • Jeremy Hunt
    • Dominic Raab
    • Michael Gove
    • Penny Mordaunt
    • Someone else / Don't care

3 minutes ago, twocents said:

As you ask and as we've just had Remembrance Day, the despicable treatment of SoldierX and we've just now been reminded of the continuing acts of treachery by the British government I think it's maybe apt to remember the Forces

1 minute ago, Great Guy said:

The only good thing the EU really offers us is free trade. If places like Japan can get a free trade deal with the EU why can we not get one?

We can!

But you have to ask for it first, and mean it. >:(

The thing that gets me is if we had voted for Bremain the UK would slowly have morphed into an EU superstate. Brexit voters would have been ignored (as they have been for 40 years). 

However we voted Brexit and Bremain voters have to be continually consulted?

10 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

The only good thing the EU really offers us is free trade. If places like Japan can get a free trade deal with the EU why can we not get one?

Because of the British government.

6 hours ago, OurDayWillCome said:

I agree with the above and that politicaly it will open the door to UKIP becoming a major player in Westminster.

Itll be too late for them to do anything though.

3 minutes ago, shindigger said:

Itll be too late for them to do anything though.

But our problems aren’t just Europe. 1997 marked the death of politics - 30 years of hurt!

11 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

The thing that gets me is if we had voted for Bremain the UK would slowly have morphed into an EU superstate. Brexit voters would have been ignored (as they have been for 40 years). 

However we voted Brexit and Bremain voters have to be continually consulted?

It’s the politics of sky screaming - 30 years of shite!

21 hours ago, Happy Renting said:

[Edited]

There is a danger of a second Referendum where Remain is made a Referenduman option, and the Leave vote split between two options, Deal or no Deal options.

Unless transferable votes are used (or even if), even a minority of Remainers could win a second Referendum.

This would tie the Government's hands to negotiate to Remain at any cost. This would be disastrous for the UK.

Article 50 dictates that we leave on 29 March 2019.

As this is an Article of a Treaty, it can only be set aside with the unanimous consent of all EU members at the highest level.

It would only take one EU member to obstruct this to place the UK in an impossible position.

If we petitioned to Remain, or extend time to negotiate a better deal, I am absoloutely certain that the EU would exploit this to the UK's extreme disadvantage.

In particular, we would be obliged to join the Euro, as all new EU member states already are.

Secondly, we would lose our EU rebate, which expires in 2021 anyway. It would not be renewed and we would probably be forced to increase our EU contributions on top of that.

Additionally, pressure could be exerted by Ireland and Spain relating to the borders or status of NI and Gibraltar.

The UK's nuclear deterrent could come under the control of an EU-wide military force, and so we could lose overall control of our deterrent. This would conflict with NATO obligations and could paralyze our military options.

I think we still have vetos on certain other EU policies, which we would be forced to surrender.

I hear no politicians or journalists telling us this.

We may be sleepwalking into a disaster.

The one hope is that with our current political chaos, it will be impossible to organse a second Referendum in time to halt our Leaving.

Ironically, the longer the disasterous Treason May hangs on, the less likely a Second Referendum to Remain will take place.

Our best hope now is we stay with this useless crone and grit our teeth for Leaving without a deal - a 'Hard Brexit'. The opportunity for a good deal has been wasted thorugh her utter incompetence.

I see little prospect of the EU improving the terms for our Leaving. There is little incentive for them to do so.

After Leaving,  Article 49 would define the process for rejoining and the implications (like joining the Euro) would have to be made clearer to the public.

TLDR; We are either badly fucked, or really totally fucked.

A three choice question is not referendum since the result can be won by a minority of those voting. It is just a pastiche of the FPTP electoral system with questions rather than candidates. The result would lack any true legitimacy in the eyes of most constitutionalists since a minority can not give up sovereignty for a majority (incidentally the problem with Parliament approving EEC entry in 1973 and signing up to Maastricht. It would settle nothing. May could put her deal before the public in a simple Yes/No referendum as that would be a simple choice which will deliver majority. It would also give her a way out of the situation she now finds herself. Unfortunately for her the EU Withdrawal Act 2018 says the deal has to be approved by Parliament so it's not really an option.

Pit of stomach feeling, but I guess the May deal might pass parliament with a few minor alterations.

All the current posturing by MPs goes out of the window when faced with the stark choice of

'Will I be re-elected?'

2 hours ago, Caravan Monster said:

UK Column have been pushing the issue of UK - eu military integration by the back door and in spite of brexit for sometime

https://www.ukcolumn.org/series/eu-military-unification

No.

Its bullshit.

Europe has tw armies- french and british.

The french one hat does he fighting is the foriegn legion, so not french.

Until 2001, the legion was mainly used to piss around in the old colonies. Odd inurgent, getting on fracnophones dictators out in one piece.

Since the uptick of Isalmic terroisims, a lt of which are operating in the old french bits of north africa, the french legion is pretty much a sub-contractor to the US. Seriously. The hwole rejoinging NAO was down to the fact that the french generals saw the chances of being wiped out, killed and strung up, a real posibility - unless the US was involved.

The fench top brass are going nuts at Wee Macrooons - 'enemies are China, Russia and ... US'

Russia is not a direct threat to France. Or the UK. Both France and UK armies are their to lead NATO forces in the old EE areas. Hold the line til the US big guns come over.

France and the UK armies are putting money and bodies o nthe line for the safety of Europe.

Germany is skimping on spending and trying to profit/deal with with Russia. Thats the problem.

6 minutes ago, spunko said:

I hope @Happy Renting doesn't mind, I have hijacked the thread: A new poll has arrived. :Jumping:

Who do you think will be (not necessarily WANT to be!) leader of the Tories on 1st Jan 2019. 

h/t to oddschecker, I used their top 10. i've got £20 on DD. https://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/next-conservative-leader

Ooh ta. 

Junkers isn’t on the list though. xD

1 minute ago, One percent said:

Ooh ta. 

Junkers isn’t on the list though. xD

Raab is probably a good one, he's gone from nowhere to being the favourite, even at 6/1. Gove and Leadsom are surely out of the running now after backing Treason.

I didn't add Hammond because frankly the thought of that old undertaker of a man as PM makes me shiver.

4 minutes ago, spunko said:

Raab is probably a good one, he's gone from nowhere to being the favourite, even at 6/1. Gove and Leadsom are surely out of the running now after backing Treason.

I didn't add Hammond because frankly the thought of that old undertaker of a man as PM makes me shiver.

Gove, the arch Brexiteer backs that pile of rubbish.  Me thinks the man has no moral compass. 

8 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

Cunt doesn't own me...!

XYY

That’s what you think. That video you posted last week?  It’s been copyrighted and set to make spunky a fortune. 

Well  it will when he finds someone willing to buy it. 

22 minutes ago, One percent said:

That’s what you think. That video you posted last week?  It’s been copyrighted and set to make spunky a fortune. 

Well  it will when he finds someone willing to buy it. 

In the highly unlikely event that it ever does make Spunks the next Rockefeller, then as long as he buys me a nice little bungalow in the Peterlee area he won't be hearing from my lawyers...

XYY

1 hour ago, The XYY Man said:

Cunt doesn't own me...!

XYY

No pet he doesn't.

I fucking do...

Mrs XYY

55 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

In the highly unlikely event that it ever does make Spunks the next Rockefeller, then as long as he buys me a nice little bungalow in the Peterlee area he won't be hearing from my lawyers...

XYY

In that exceedingly unlikely event - you'll still be fucking sleeping upstairs...!

Mrs XYY