DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Subway (food) closures

Ash4781b

I’m coming across lots of Subway (the sandwich places) all shut. I’m not sure if it’s environmental / regulatory or franchisees can’t make it work? Anyone else seeing them close locally?

Chewing Grass

I go past one near me and only ever see 1 or 2 people in it if I'm lucky.

Seems to be one of those 'franchises' that over extended its reach as quite a few are in daft places.

You can usually find plenty of people who love some crap restaurant/coffee chain - my barber confessed his love of McDonald's the other day, while my Mrs used to have an unhealthy addiction to Starbucks chai tea lattes until she realised how much sugar they contain... but I've never heard anyone say that they "love" Subway; their ad campaign slogan will never be "I'm lovin' it".  Their product isn't particularly tasty or novel, the marketing isn't great and the places themselves usually have a down-at-heel vibe that's at odds with the pricing, which is surprisingly not that cheap.

2 minutes ago, AWW said:

You can usually find plenty of people who love some crap restaurant/coffee chain - my barber confessed his love of McDonald's the other day, while my Mrs used to have an unhealthy addiction to Starbucks chai tea lattes until she realised how much sugar they contain... but I've never heard anyone say that they "love" Subway; their ad campaign slogan will never be "I'm lovin' it".  Their product isn't particularly tasty or novel, the marketing isn't great and the places themselves usually have a down-at-heel vibe that's at odds with the pricing, which is surprisingly not that cheap.

We had a discussion on here the other day. Apparently, McDonalds isn’t that unhealthy. 

Depends what you're comparing it to.  A large Big Mac meal with a shake (which is a fairly "default" option) is getting on for 1500 calories and a day's saturated fat and sugar intake, and isn't particularly satisfying (speaking as someone who once ate 10 double cheeseburgers in one sitting for a bet). Fine once in a while, but judging by the average punter at Liverpool St McD's, they're in there a few times a week, and they're not stopping off to fuel for a long bike ride...

stick to lard. Your heart will thank you eventually.

sorry i meant the pensions companies and govt will thank you. real soon.

2 hours ago, Ash4781b said:

I’m coming across lots of Subway (the sandwich places) all shut. I’m not sure if it’s environmental / regulatory or franchisees can’t make it work? Anyone else seeing them close locally?

This is one chain that's really failed to takwe off in the UK.I'm a big fan of footfall research ie wlaking in and watching the tills for 2o minutes while you eat/have coffee.It never ceases to amaze me that they've managed to find so many willing franchisees tbh.They never seem that busy.

From the US but you can get the idea.They're cheaper than other franchises so probably draw in the less expereinced punters.AS below but obviously labour costs need to be added.

I can't think of one of the many that have set up in Leicester that have lasted more than a couple of years.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/what-it-costs-to-open-a-subway-2015-3

image.thumb.png.dfbfccf1928da244bf25c82485fc8f82.png

1 hour ago, AWW said:

Depends what you're comparing it to.  A large Big Mac meal with a shake (which is a fairly "default" option) is getting on for 1500 calories and a day's saturated fat and sugar intake, and isn't particularly satisfying (speaking as someone who once ate 10 double cheeseburgers in one sitting for a bet). Fine once in a while, but judging by the average punter at Liverpool St McD's, they're in there a few times a week, and they're not stopping off to fuel for a long bike ride...

:ph34r:xD

3 hours ago, One percent said:

We had a discussion on here the other day. Apparently, McDonalds isn’t that unhealthy. 

A big mac / Chicken / Fish  with the option of a salad for 1.99 with a voucher is a reasonably healthy lunch for a fraction of what you pay to Subway. I often use these and ask for the Salad on which I get funny looks from the staff at Stratford. 

10 hours ago, AWW said:

A large Big Mac meal with a shake (which is a fairly "default" option) is getting on for 1500 calories and a day's saturated fat and sugar intake, and isn't particularly satisfying 

Default dumb.

8 hours ago, Kurt Barlow said:

A big mac / Chicken / Fish  with the option of a salad for 1.99 with a voucher is a reasonably healthy lunch for a fraction of what you pay to Subway. I often use these and ask for the Salad on which I get funny looks from the staff at Stratford. 

Bit of a tip. Some Maccy D’s with drive throughs/service stations don’t take those £1.99 vouchers. If you go to the self service screens, you can use the vouchers anyway as the POS system is generic. By the time you go and collect they’ll say we usually don’t accept the vouchers, but as the system has let you do it, we’ll allow it this once... blah blah

2 minutes ago, Sideysid said:

Bit of a tip. Some Maccy D’s with drive throughs/service stations don’t take those £1.99 vouchers. If you go to the self service screens, you can use the vouchers anyway as the POS system is generic. By the time you go and collect they’ll say we usually don’t accept the vouchers, but as the system has let you do it, we’ll allow it this once... blah blah

Where do you get the vouchers?

1 minute ago, onlyme said:

With each order printed on receipt - individual code and website link to redeem. 

Ah, that’s why I don’t get them. I don’t frequent it. 

I do remember in the past. W h smiths giving out little booklets (I think) 

1 hour ago, Craig said:

Would be glad to see the back of Subway. The smell coming out of them turns my stomach.

Anyone know what it is? Some sort of cooking oil perhaps?

Rancid fat i nthe part baked Bread they warm up.

SUbway, i nth UK at least, seems to be an idiot franchise option.

They let loads of people set up in the same area.

Nuts.

The franchises seem to be owen by people who'd Id question their immigration sttaus too.

At best, it just seems to operate an immigration scam for franchisee and their employees

1 hour ago, spygirl said:

Rancid fat i nthe part baked Bread they warm up.

SUbway, i nth UK at least, seems to be an idiot franchise option.

They let loads of people set up in the same area.

Nuts.

The franchises seem to be owen by people who'd Id question their immigration sttaus too.

At best, it just seems to operate an immigration scam for franchisee and their employees

And the same goes for Papa Johns.

4 minutes ago, spygirl said:

And the same goes for Papa Johns.

I think you can list them all, all the pizza places, the chicken shops, the kebab shops.....

Just now, One percent said:

I think you can list them all, all the pizza places, the chicken shops, the kebab shops.....

No, there do seem to be some better run franchise - I tink Domnioes have nailed it.

Papa Johns just seems to be idiots. Always seems to be south asians.

The 'independent' chicken shacks and what nots are just dire. Id avoid them all as the average are drity shitholes. The worse are dangerous.

The whole fast food franchise operation is nuts anyhow.

Its rare that anyone looks at the deal and puts some (rough) numbers up:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/11993677/Who-wants-to-be-a-McMillionaire-Meet-Britains-hidden-army-of-successful-fast-food-owners.html

Thos figures are all pretty dire.

'Bristol-based Mike Guerin, who operates 12 McDonald’s in the west of England, has been a franchisee for 23 years.

While McDonald’s sets strict guidelines on the food served, Guerin says owners are continuously consulted about changes to the menu.

He now sells fewer burgers and chips, and more wraps and salads. His company, Caspian Networks, employs around 950 people and had a turnover of £29m last year, with pre-tax profits of £741,000.'

Turning over 30m, employing ~1000 people for a pre tax of ~750k.

Thats about 61k pre tax profit per site FFS! About 1k/week. Nuts.

1 hour ago, spygirl said:

No, there do seem to be some better run franchise - I tink Domnioes have nailed it.

Papa Johns just seems to be idiots. Always seems to be south asians.

The 'independent' chicken shacks and what nots are just dire. Id avoid them all as the average are drity shitholes. The worse are dangerous.

The whole fast food franchise operation is nuts anyhow.

Its rare that anyone looks at the deal and puts some (rough) numbers up:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/11993677/Who-wants-to-be-a-McMillionaire-Meet-Britains-hidden-army-of-successful-fast-food-owners.html

Thos figures are all pretty dire.

'Bristol-based Mike Guerin, who operates 12 McDonald’s in the west of England, has been a franchisee for 23 years.

While McDonald’s sets strict guidelines on the food served, Guerin says owners are continuously consulted about changes to the menu.

He now sells fewer burgers and chips, and more wraps and salads. His company, Caspian Networks, employs around 950 people and had a turnover of £29m last year, with pre-tax profits of £741,000.'

Turning over 30m, employing ~1000 people for a pre tax of ~750k.

Thats about 61k pre tax profit per site FFS! About 1k/week. Nuts.

A high risk effort for a low risk return.Slightest dint in turnover and he';s got negative cashflow.I ddin't realise the margins were so thin on Maccy D's.................incredible.Take away the govt subsidies for workers and it's fubar

20 minutes ago, sancho panza said:

A high risk effort for a low risk return.Slightest dint in turnover and he';s got negative cashflow.I ddin't realise the margins were so thin on Maccy D's.................incredible.Take away the govt subsidies for workers and it's fubar

Artciles 3 years old.

The NMW icnreases will have hammered his company.

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/03283357/filing-history

Caspains networks FFS?????

His profit have dipped sicne last year.

The level and risk, and invstment he's going to haver to put in - MaccyD own the freehold, hes rents it - it really isnt great.

3 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Artciles 3 years old.

The NMW icnreases will have hammered his company.

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/03283357/filing-history

Caspains networks FFS?????

His profit have dipped sicne last year.

The level and risk, and invstment he's going to haver to put in - MaccyD own the freehold, hes rents it - it really isnt great.

Goes to show how marginal the whole franchise thing is that these companies' are relying on the profitability of there franchisees rather than the solvency of their customers-which is alos suspect.I've floated th idea of shorting Domino's before and will do but have to say to more you examine the logic behind it-particularly those who''ll let people set up next door to each other- they're effectively  asset strippers of their franchisees-don't get me wrong a few will make money but most won't.

Archived