DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Grr Traffic

Ash4781b

Bit of a grumble from an occasional driver. A 15 mile car journey in South East rush hour takes 1hr 20mins. The journey ‘should’ take approximately 35mins but the sheer amount of traffic on the roads was amazing. Presumably if I was in London or a big Northern City I’d still be in the car though?  

Still speaking to others they are commuting 30miles and relaxed spending hours upon hours in jams everyday.

In the local area they [various levels of Gov] are frantically trying to upgrade, widen, etc the roads, junctions.

How is everyone else finding the roads?

14 minutes ago, Ash4781b said:

Bit of a grumble from an occasional driver. A 15 mile car journey in South East rush hour takes 1hr 20mins. The journey ‘should’ take approximately 35mins but the sheer amount of traffic on the roads was amazing. Presumably if I was in London or a big Northern City I’d still be in the car though?  

Still speaking to others they are commuting 30miles and relaxed spending hours upon hours in jams everyday.

In the local area they [various levels of Gov] are frantically trying to upgrade, widen, etc the roads, junctions.

Bloody awful. Full to capacity and then some. 

I work from home so i don't have to suffer traffic i will generally go out shopping or if i need to do something whilst everyone is at work

This has spoilt me really sometimes i will be stuck in rush hour traffic thinking how the fuck do people do this all day

Actually had a family member who was in different locations around london and had to drive spent 6 hours a day in traffic , then quit and you saw how much less stressed he was

3 hours ago, One percent said:

Bloody awful. Full to capacity and then some. 

This.  I've mentioned it on here before, the roads are a nightmare and getting worse all the time.  I wish I lived close enough to cycle or walk to work, I detest having to commute by car but don't really have much choice in my industry.  

Same as everyone else, complete nightmare, roads are always busy at any time of day and then gridlock at rush hour. Seems to have got even worse over the last few months, perhaps due to worsening weather.

My 13 mile commute takes around 50 mins on average, up from around 40 mins around 5 years ago.

Absolute madness, the cost of time and fuel wasted in traffic must be huge, aong with the environmental cost of air pollution.

Even in shit weather I'd rather cycle my ten mile commute than use any of the available alternatives. It takes me half an hour.

Train - not frequent enough, packed, takes longer.

Tube - like the black hole of Calcutta, also takes longer.

Car - Seriously, it would probably be quicker to run it.

Bus - I do have some dignity. Also probably quicker to walk.

Cycling also means you don't have to find time to do exercise (for those of us with sedentary jobs). I'm surprised it's not more popular.

Oh and for the frugal gits out there, it works out at around 7p a mile. HMRC let me claim 20p!

Even at the weekend, the roads are a joke. Too many people, not enough infrastructure.

38 minutes ago, AWW said:

Even in shit weather I'd rather cycle my ten mile commute than use any of the available alternatives. It takes me half an hour.

Train - not frequent enough, packed, takes longer.

Tube - like the black hole of Calcutta, also takes longer.

Car - Seriously, it would probably be quicker to run it.

Bus - I do have some dignity. Also probably quicker to walk.

Cycling also means you don't have to find time to do exercise (for those of us with sedentary jobs). I'm surprised it's not more popular.

Oh and for the frugal gits out there, it works out at around 7p a mile. HMRC let me claim 20p!

It is :) I run-commute in North London and while it seems acceptable in the morning (admittedly a bit before the rush), it turns into a total, unmitigated disaster in the afternoon. Even with shower involved and me taking a slightly longer route to avoid running in traffic, it's still on par with car (excluding finding parking space in Camden) and beats public transport. It should probably be even better in comparison once I move out a little bit further and the whole shower/change thingy will become a smaller part of the overall commute.

The best part is that as you cycle or run over months, you should expect your commute time to get a bit shorter :)

Driving is a nightmare, Zone 4 is a gridlock, and public transport is dehumanising. The only good part about using the tube being 6'2 is that it's the other people smelling your armpit and not the other way round. Wheels on the bus go round and round but WHAT THE FUCKING HELL THAT GUY HAS JUST SHAT HIMSELF OMFG WHY IS EVERYONE TRYING SO HARD NOT TO NOTICE.

I gave up commuting about 10 years ago.  When I occasionally have to go to my last big employer (they still like to contract me every now and then) it takes me ages to get there -- probably 50% longer in the rush compared to then.  Mainly sheer volume of traffic (no road works, particularly).

Had a friend who also worked from home told me when you're being lazy or unmotivated go out and sit in rush hour traffic look around you at everyones faces makes you think if i dont get work done one day this will be me

it works well

2 mile commute. I can walk it in 25 mins or if I'm lazy or it's raining I can drive it in 10 minutes.

The driving time also accounts for the inevitable 4 or 5 minute wait at the traffic lights just off my estate. Once I'm past that then it doesn't take long to do the rest of the journey as most of the other traffic is heading in the opposite direction. B|

How do these politicians suggest we continue to expand our population! We are full! 

Mall this for money, how much worse can they make our lives for money!

smaller houses, more time commuting, worse quality food, more crime, polluted air.. 

How can anyone vote remain when it’s plain as the nose on my face this is heading in the wrong direction! Millions more migrants will not make things better! 

Chewing Grass

Cars have also grown too big courtesy of the germans and their globalised car production model. 2 cars now take the space 3 cars occupied 25 years ago and the numbers on the roads must have nearly doubled.

The Japanese have it inadvertantly right with their Kei cars.

SUVs are the worst thing ever dreampt up by the car industry.

1 hour ago, Chewing Grass said:

Cars have also grown too big courtesy of the germans and their globalised car production model. 2 cars now take the space 3 cars occupied 25 years ago and the numbers on the roads must have nearly doubled.

The Japanese have it inadvertantly right with their Kei cars.

SUVs are the worst thing ever dreampt up by the car industry.

Yes! Most of the left turn feeder lanes at traffic lights round where I live are useless now because all the ridiculously oversized cars in the main lane mean it’s impossible to get down them. Really gets on my nerves. Bring on the recession when all the keys get handed back for something more sensible.

Democorruptcy

Death traps here in Cheshire

Last week the road policing team dealt with six fatal crashes in six days and the same team are continuing to investigate a further two fatal collisions that occurred earlier in October. “One of which resulted in the death of two young men, bringing the total number of deaths to nine in October alone.

https://www.northwichguardian.co.uk/news/17194782.cheshire-police-issue-road-safety-warning-car-crash-deaths/

The traffic in this country is totally and utterly f*@ked.

I tell anyone who'll listen than a 10k pay rise, particularly if largely paying 40% on it is not worth even another 30 mins commuting per day. In stress alone, not counting the actually motoring cost !

I commute 10 miles each way. It takes me 15-20mins each way.

I was thinking about this the other day. There's a village near me with an old medieval bridge that the council haven't seen fit to bypass. You have to wait at either end for the traffic to come off it as there are no passing spaces. In the past 6 months it has become so bad that I need to leave before 7AM, or choose another route. If you get caught in the traffic it can take 15-20 mins of just sitting there not moving at all. I have to leave the office before 4.45pm or it's a nightmare, and most of it is country road driving.

It must just be the sheer number of new rabbit hutches going up that are making it so unbearable, and people are using back routes to avoid the main ones, there is no other explanation that I can see.

I remember leaving at 4.45AM smugly on Christmas Eve to visit family thinking I'd have a clear run. As soon as I joined the M25 at 5.15AM my heart sunk.

On 20/11/2018 at 11:48, Ash4781b said:

I did 26 miles from Basingstoke to Bracknell for 3 years. Got very old very fast. Now do 3 minute walk. Traffic getting worse and worse, more immigrants please.

1 hour ago, spunko said:

I was thinking about this the other day. There's a village near me with an old medieval bridge that the council haven't seen fit to bypass. You have to wait at either end for the traffic to come off it as there are no passing spaces. In the past 6 months it has become so bad that I need to leave before 7AM, or choose another route. If you get caught in the traffic it can take 15-20 mins of just sitting there not moving at all. I have to leave the office before 4.45pm or it's a nightmare, and most of it is country road driving.

It must just be the sheer number of new rabbit hutches going up that are making it so unbearable, and people are using back routes to avoid the main ones, there is no other explanation that I can see.

I remember leaving at 4.45AM smugly on Christmas Eve to visit family thinking I'd have a clear run. As soon as I joined the M25 at 5.15AM my heart sunk.

Got stuck on the M3 one night for 1 hour at 2am in the morning as it was down to 1 lane..

I think it will be like Paris where you get a car every other day, car sharing etc..

But all they had to do was close the boarders and automate factories and we would not need most of the people,

The increase in population is people providing services for people providing services.. like a never ending chain of pointless jobs..

Jobs that only exist because the population continues to grow!

12 hours ago, spunko said:

Choke points like that all over the place, I bet most of them they have been identified 20/30/40 years, multiple "something must be done meetings' over the decades and proposals and almost none of them done. The only road building in volume you see nowadays (outside of motorway, A road widening and trunk roads under the control of the highways agency) is re-routing existing roads to act as bypass for newly acquired land for housing/building. Basically local level planning / budget is non existent.

Doing a 30 mile commute this week in the south east so leaving home at 6 (ish) to get there for 7. This morning was frosty and I found myself surrounded by  cars being driven by members of the Holy order of Tank Commanders. They drive looking through a small slit cleared in the windscreen and their belief system is such that if they can't see you, you're not there, so they can pull out or change lanes secure in the knowledge that the road is clear.

Arrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhh

1 hour ago, onlyme said:

Choke points like that all over the place, I bet most of them they have been identified 20/30/40 years, multiple "something must be done meetings' over the decades and proposals and almost none of them done. The only road building in volume you see nowadays (outside of motorway, A road widening and trunk roads under the control of the highways agency) is re-routing existing roads to act as bypass for newly acquired land for housing/building. Basically local level planning / budget is non existent.

Indeed, there was a big fanfare in the local media that a new bridge had been built over the Medway - the first new bridge for 60 years, woo! Turns out it was paid for and built by a housebuilder. How depressing.

Archived