DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Grr Traffic

Ash4781b

5 minutes ago, spunko said:

Indeed, there was a big fanfare in the local media that a new bridge had been built over the Medway - the first new bridge for 60 years, woo! Turns out it was paid for and built by a housebuilder. How depressing.

Let's hope it's built to a better standard than the houses they throw up.

The biggest issue in the South East for me is the uncertainty.

Working from home I can normally ignore it, but I have had three meetings in the last fortnight, 6 miles away.

The journey should take 15 minutes. I don't do late so have left 50 minutes.

I was half an hour early first time, 10 minutes early the second time and 5 minutes late on Friday. 

So now I will need to leave an hour early for a 15 minute journey.

As another example, Mrs Plan has been moaning about how hard it will be to get to Gatwick once we live in the Isle of Wight. I have pointed out that even though technically we live 45 minutes from Gatwick, she insists we leave two hours for the journey plus 30 minutes for parking / bus etc.

The journey from Ryde, by ferry and train, takes 2 hours 38. So no real difference AND I can have a drink on the plane.

sleepwello'nights

I've worked from home since the early 2000s so I've managed to avoid drive time save for a few occasions. Whilst we think traffic in the South East is really congested I don't think it is anywhere near as bad as the Midlands or the Near North around Leeds Sheffield. 

We visited friends in Rugby last year. We left Worcestershire early afternoon and it took over four hours to get to Rugby, most of the time moving very slowly in nose to tail traffic on heavily congested motorways. Distance was about 70 miles and our ETA on the sat nav when we started our journey was about an hour and a half.

On 24/11/2018 at 16:25, Cunning Plan said:

Working from home I can normally ignore it, but I have had three meetings in the last fortnight, 6 miles away.

I was half an hour early first time, 10 minutes early the second time and 5 minutes late on Friday. 

As another example, Mrs Plan has been moaning about how hard it will be to get to Gatwick once we live in the Isle of Wight. I have pointed out that even though technically we live 45 minutes from Gatwick, she insists we leave two hours for the journey plus 30 minutes for parking / bus etc.

The journey from Ryde, by ferry and train, takes 2 hours 38. So no real difference AND I can have a drink on the plane.

Are you definitely moving to the IoW? I have been ogling it online for the past few days. I think I could be very happy there, but need to visit first. Scenery wise, it looks like the South Downs but without all the stress/traffic/pikeys. Considering going over in March or April next year (this time of year everywhere looks depressing) to check it out. The area in the SW looks particularly beautiful.

5 minute walk for me. I deliberately chose a job near to home 20 odd years ago after 3 years of depressing commuting down the M1 (Nottingham to Leicester). I should think it's much worse now. Interesting I was the only person in an office of 10 people who walked to work. Everyone else drove in.

I have to drive to construction sites/meetings with my business but usually manage to avoid rush hour. 

I really don't know how people cope with hours and hours of sitting in traffic jams. Talk about your life ebbing away...

Just now, spunko said:

Are you definitely moving to the IoW? I have been ogling it online for the past few days. I think I could be very happy there, but need to visit first. Scenery wise, it looks like the South Downs but without all the stress/traffic/pikeys. Considering going over in March or April next year (this time of year everywhere looks depressing) to check it out. The area in the SW looks particularly beautiful.

Yes. Will be there by mid Feb. Have got my eye on a rental place - if it is still available at Christmas I will make an offer.

I think there is some traffic in the towns but nothing like it is here.

There are still chavs / scrotes etc. There are a few Isle of Wight facebook groups - they give you a good idea of what life is like on the ground.

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/11/2018 at 16:25, Cunning Plan said:

Yep, I do the same, must equate to a scary amount of productivity loss. I am often sitting around for 45 mins or so parked up around the corner from a client. You now need a larger and larger insurance policy to make good on your commitment to meet at a certain time. I live in Reading and commute all over the UK so its often a 3-4 hour drive for the first stop and therefore a minimum extra hour is added from whatever google maps tells me the journey should be done in.

21 minutes ago, SillyBilly said:

Yep, I do the same, must equate to a scary amount of productivity loss. I am often sitting around for 45 mins or so parked up around the corner from a client. You now need a larger and larger insurance policy to make good on your commitment to meet at a certain time. I live in Reading and commute all over the UK so its often a 3-4 hour drive for the first stop and therefore a minimum extra hour is added from whatever google maps tells me the journey should be done in.

We have to take planlet II to Luton to catch a train quite regularly.

It is a 45 minute journey. We leave about 2.5 hours for it.

If all goes well we go for a Thai meal. If the M3 is buggered it becomes a quick nandos. M25 in bad shape and we might be able to grab a McDonalds.

I will be so glad to leave.

M3 / M25 junctions are still shyte even after ~2 years of roadworks to widen the road. And who the hell designed the signage when going north towards London, to join the M25 S. I drive that route regularly and often come close to missing it, and a lot of other people end up cutting in front of me too (can't blame them). When you need to get in the correct lane to join the  busiest motorway in the UK they should give you more than 200 yards of warning, pricks.

• 2 weeks later...
Inoperational Bumblebee

I've lived walking distance from work for most of the past 15 years, though we recently moved further away. I detest sitting in traffic, but commuting on the motorbike is fine. A bit grim in bad weather but I enjoy it in the same way I do camping in bad weather!

On 21/11/2018 at 21:20, macca said:

The increase in population is people providing services for people providing services.. like a never ending chain of pointless jobs..

I was thinking this the other day, how hand car washes aren't exactly state-of-the-art when we had automated ones when I was a child. Pointless make work.

• 1 month later...

Just to update where I am - Kent roads and junctions relatively recently widened now need widening again as in rush hour are total gridlock mess . The M20 is effectively being widened. Much anger and finger point at the utter strategic mess of the road planning. Not sure how things are you are ? 

They are doing road widening around me...except it is f**king pointless as you'll hit the same choke point a few hundred yards down the road which can't be widened (huge roundabout/car park).

On 09/12/2018 at 19:43, spunko said:

M3 / M25 junctions are still shyte even after ~2 years of roadworks to widen the road. And who the hell designed the signage when going north towards London, to join the M25 S. I drive that route regularly and often come close to missing it, and a lot of other people end up cutting in front of me too (can't blame them). When you need to get in the correct lane to join the  busiest motorway in the UK they should give you more than 200 yards of warning, pricks.

That M3/M25 junction has been roadworks since at least 2004 when I used to have to deal with it daily. 

Archived