DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Bad news for high St retailers continues-getting grim out there.

sancho panza

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, reformed nice guy said:

I wonder how it compares to population % increase?

1.4% growth, 3% inflation, 0.6% population (official) increase..... Wouldnt that be a significant fall in per capita spending?

There was a thread/post on here in the week about how much money people here send back home.  It was running into billions I think.  

That is a lot of money not being recirculated into the local economy...

Democorruptcy
8 minutes ago, eek said:

HMV is the first to announce how bad their Christmas was - it was living on borrowed time though I mean when was the last time anyone bought a CD / DVD....

I read about it via Sky

Which mentions a 675m High Street Fund and footfall was 27% up this year but doesn't necessarily mean spending was also up.

14 minutes ago, Democorruptcy said:

I read about it via Sky

Which mentions a 675m High Street Fund and footfall was 27% up this year but doesn't necessarily mean spending was also up.

The Guardian states that HMV's business rates alone were £15m a year. That's a lot of CD's before you start thinking about rates, staff, stock....

1 hour ago, eek said:

HMV is the first to announce how bad their Christmas was - it was living on borrowed time though I mean when was the last time anyone bought a CD / DVD....

HMV had already gone bust once -- the fundamental business model was already broken back then.

1 minute ago, dgul said:

HMV had already gone bust once -- the fundamental business model was already broken back then.

Yep but without HMV the music and tv / movie industry is completely reliant on Amazon and Spotify / netflix... That's what rescued them last time around - it won't be enough this time around as the business rates alone kill the business...

4 minutes ago, eek said:

Yep but without HMV the music and tv / movie industry is completely reliant on Amazon and Spotify / netflix... That's what rescued them last time around - it won't be enough this time around as the business rates alone kill the business...

I note the rolling out of second hand DVD and CD stores like Replay and That's Entertainment has unravelled as fast as it rolled out around 2010. Replay were shifting some of their DVDs for less than a quid. Online access means hard copies are virtually worthless after the first few months on release.

2 hours ago, eek said:

Quite unlucky if one received Vouchers as a Christmas present. I received some vouchers for retailers on my critical list.

To be honest I thought HMV had gone bust years ago. Had no idea they still existed.

I buy DVDs, Blu Rays and even CDs the whole time but use Amazon. Why would would go to the physical store when you order on Amazon and get free delivery?

Democorruptcy
36 minutes ago, Errol said:

To be honest I thought HMV had gone bust years ago. Had no idea they still existed.

I buy DVDs, Blu Rays and even CDs the whole time but use Amazon. Why would would go to the physical store when you order on Amazon and get free delivery?

I don't think Amazon are the cheapest online these days. I use ebay instead now.

Just seen a TV advert for something called Park where people "save up" for next year's Christmas presents on a pay weekly basis. Out of curiosity I looked to see how it worked and appently you buy things from their 'partners' who are high street retail outlets. These include HMV, Debenhams, New Look etc etc.

Words fail me......

3 hours ago, eek said:

The Guardian states that HMV's business rates alone were £15m a year. That's a lot of CD's before you start thinking about rates, staff, stock....

HMV in Kingston Bentall centre was in a prime position next to the main entrance and was always busy.

They moved it into the basement to save on rent and it was like a meeting of the Marie Celeste appreciation society.

1 hour ago, Option5 said:

Just seen a TV advert for something called Park where people "save up" for next year's Christmas presents on a pay weekly basis. Out of curiosity I looked to see how it worked and appently you buy things from their 'partners' who are high street retail outlets. These include HMV, Debenhams, New Look etc etc.

Words fail me......

The risk with those schemes is that they have a habit in the past of going bankrupt in October / November time just before they need to pay out.

The government announced yesterday a plan to ensure that won't be so problematic in the future  https://www.gov.uk/government/news/proposals-for-consumer-protections-when-companies-collapse-unveiled

Just now, eek said:

The risk with those schemes is that they have a habit in the past of going bankrupt in October / November time just before they need to pay out.

The government announced yesterday a plan to ensure that won't be so problematic in the future  https://www.gov.uk/government/news/proposals-for-consumer-protections-when-companies-collapse-unveiled

Just a rehash of the hamper companies scam.

Archived