• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Sugarlips

Volkswagens

Old ones obviously not Euroboxes, bit of an obsession of mine ☺ healthy club scene, look and sound great, pretty reliable motors, fairly easy to get parts and to work on.

..added bonus, attracts the burds

46511336_1477516765726676_2193432427903320064_n.jpg

33846826_2070032556548179_2221906510592606208_n.jpg

Edited by Sugarlips

VW Brasilia - more exclusive than a Beetle.

12863103994_df9463f529_z.jpgVW Brasilia en Paseo Quilín - Santiago, Chile by RiveraNotario, on Flickr

I also really like the Type 4s as well:

15196355049_263ad90c64_k.jpgVolkswagen 411 by RS 1111, on Flickr

I have a thing for Jettas. I almost bought a Jetta 1.3 with a glacial 0-60 time of 17 seconds! O.o A former partner of my sister ran a red C reg VW Jetta 8 valve GT (GTi?) for a while, for which he only paid about £300 or 400 (circa 2001). He let me have a drive in it once and boy, was it a good laugh to drive. B| There was some issue with the car and he decided to chop it in for another £350...with another issue. He was a nice chap but a bit dim tbh.

20 hours ago, UmBongo said:

VW Brasilia - more exclusive than a Beetle.

12863103994_df9463f529_z.jpgVW Brasilia en Paseo Quilín - Santiago, Chile by RiveraNotario, on Flickr

I also really like the Type 4s as well:

15196355049_263ad90c64_k.jpgVolkswagen 411 by RS 1111, on Flickr

I have a thing for Jettas. I almost bought a Jetta 1.3 with a glacial 0-60 time of 17 seconds! O.o A former partner of my sister ran a red C reg VW Jetta 8 valve GT (GTi?) for a while, for which he only paid about £300 or 400 (circa 2001). He let me have a drive in it once and boy, was it a good laugh to drive. B| There was some issue with the car and he decided to chop it in for another £350...with another issue. He was a nice chap but a bit dim tbh.

Jetta is basically a golf with boot  just like a Bora today 

I`m sure the Bora is still a jetta in the US/Can

Pendant mode off

I have had a few t3  vans /campers and still have a T4 van which at some point will be a camper/day van once i exterminate all the tin worms 

On 23/11/2018 at 10:03, Sugarlips said:

Old ones obviously not Euroboxes, bit of an obsession of mine ☺ healthy club scene, look and sound great, pretty reliable motors, fairly easy to get parts and to work on.

..added bonus, attracts the burds

46511336_1477516765726676_2193432427903320064_n.jpg

Those look like Porsche wheels to me.

Very apt - I just dropped a wee spanner down into my engine bay ffs :oxD

Can't get down to get it from above. 

I don't have the ability to get under it really as the engine base cover thing is pretty low to the ground. If I bump the cover up from below I can hear it just sitting there on the plastic cover thing. 

I'm not going to worry too much about it being there - that reasonable ? Can't be arsed with another garage visit so soon for such a dumb thing. 

Can hopefully wait till my next service. 

It almost certainly won't cause any harm, but equally undertrays are usually quite easy to remove, usually just a few screws or fasteners. Before I got that pair of ramps (36 quid from ebay...bargain IMO) I used to park one side up on a high kerb outside my house for basic wriggling under the car jobs.

I've been grateful for the cheapy magnetic pick up tool I bought from Aldi a couple of years ago, as well. Saves a lot of arseache from dropped spanners and nuts. Mine looks exactly like (and almost certainly is exactly like) this one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/US-PRO-Long-Flexible-Pick-Up-Tool-Claw-with-Magnet-and-LED-Magnetic-6730/142408389823?epid=27020244931&hash=item21283394bf:g:uLgAAOSwMtpbkSPf:rk:18:pf:0

There's loads of even cheaper options if you search for "magnetic pick up" though.

Edited by Rave

These are the best style ones I've found for reaching where you can't see flexible and rigid. Some of the 4x4s I've got have steel guards rather than undertrays that can be a right pain if things drop in them. I don't have an LED one though as TBH you usally can't see and are better with more of the head being a stronger magnet.

s-l500.jpg

I'm guessing it's a cheapo wrench a small 13mm Snap On Wrench is £30 so I wouldn't be happy to drive around on the basis of retrieving it later but if it was from a £1 shop then a whole new set of wrenches will be cheaper than a garage visit. 

17 hours ago, Rave said:

The fantasy

The reality 

DSCF7190.JPG

DSCF7192.JPG

I thought you were running your Mondeo forever. Is that just a service or was it a new acquisition from VW's pre-fucked scheme?

VWs need quite a lot of fairly specific tools like big hex socket sizes and triple square splines - head bolts usually are these. Get properly decent quality ones, if you ever need them, as if you strip any out or worse break the tool off so its stuck in them its a whole world of needless pain. 

If you've got a big magnet you might be able to pick up on the tool from the outside of the plastic engine cover and drag it to an edge for extraction without taking the cover off.

Have a big cylindrical neodymium one that comes in useful from time to time, I wrapped it in a couple of layers of insulation tape to prevent chipping and keep it whole.

They both look very handy - is just a wee cheapo £2 spanner and I got a complete set of 8 new ones yesterday from Screwfix for £7 so will just save it for my next garage visit. Which is hopefully not for a while. :D

Cheers :Old: