• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
spygirl

Interns

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46315035

I think these kids need to be took into a room and have the following beaten into their skulls:

You dont do any work unless you are paid.

'Most internships in retailing, the arts and the media are unpaid, according to a survey from the Sutton Trust - a body that campaigns for social mobility.

It surveyed more than 2,600 graduates aged between 21 and 29.

The highest proportions of unpaid internships were found in retail (89%), the arts (86%) and the media (83%).

The report coincides with a bill to ban unpaid internships of more than four weeks, which will be brought before the House of Commons on Friday.'

Why the fuck would the Sutton trust care about interns - these are all low paying shit jobs that dumb people do in their 20s before they quit and get a proper job.

II thin kthe UK needs to put in place a tax on the arts and media, to prevent this sort of blatant abuse.

Maybe we can start with arresting actors and media types for human slaving.

Thi rule of thumb is fast becoming an IRON RULE to me.

The more 'right on' an industry is, the more underneath the surface it is actually a hive of villainy and evil.  See Hollywood, Charities, and now media and arts in general.

28 minutes ago, wherebee said:

The more 'right on' an industry is, the more underneath the surface it is actually a hive of villainy and evil.  See Hollywood, Charities, and now media and arts in general.

Maybe that's why they keep saying "we need more engineers!" (I.e. We are having to pay them nmw!)

36 minutes ago, wherebee said:

Add environmental science and the fluffy animal conservation orgs - A few lucky people with salaried jobs that don't seem to actually like to working that much, very little money to employ lackeys and so few actual salaried jobs, but loads of wide-eyed and bushy-tailed kids (graduates) hoping that woirking for free will  get someday them 'in the door'.

It's disgusting, and I wish the kids would wake up.

But with the current oversupply of graduates  and lack of jobs, it will continue I suspect.

I was never very popular when I pointed out he above abuse to colleagues

Edited by Hopeful

The other side of the argument. My daughter on leaving uni could not get a job doing what she wanted. So, three two week internships padded out her CV and she then landed a decent job she was happy with. 

Yes it was unpaid but they paid her travel. 

It was only possible because we lived in London. Guess on this point, it is discriminatory but the Islington set isn’t going to raise this one. 

4 minutes ago, One percent said:

The other side of the argument. My daughter on leaving uni could not get a job doing what she wanted. So, three two week internships padded out her CV and she then landed a decent job she was happy with. 

Yes it was unpaid but they paid her travel. 

It was only possible because we lived in London. Guess on this point, it is discriminatory but the Islington set isn’t going to raise this one. 

Yes, but it is a very one-sided relationship IMO

In academia, academics offering 'internships' get their research done for free (what quality though) and so get papers published, and so get promotion and increased salaries - all on the back of kids working for free in the hope of a break, and most will never get that break.

All these academics are lefties of course. It takes a far right wing raving extremist to think it's wrong.

Edited by Hopeful

39 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

Add environmental science and the fluffy animal conservation orgs - A few lucky people with salaried jobs that don't seem to actually like to working that much, very little money to employ lackeys and so few actual salaried jobs, but loads of wide-eyed and bushy-tailed kids (graduates) hoping that woirking for free will  get someday them 'in the door'.

It's disgusting, and I wish the kids would wake up.

But with the current oversupply of graduates  and lack of jobs, it will continue I suspect.

I was never very popular when I pointed out he above abuse to colleagues

Viz has ruined all things invlong animals charities for me.

georgebestial-circus.jpg?format=750w

George-Bestial-autumnwatch.jpg?format=75

1 hour ago, The Generation Game said:

Maybe that's why they keep saying "we need more engineers!" (I.e. We are having to pay them nmw!)

We need more cheap engineers - as if they aren't cheap enough already.

Edited by twocents