• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Sugarlips

One belt one road, four dead oh well..

Im sure its fanboys will be along to 'educate' me, but I view OBOR as little more than a repeat of what the US/anglo-american powers have been doing thru the WB/IMF for the last 60 years. A kind of stealth imperialism to promote their worldview and priortise their companies globally, and will probably turn out with similarly mixed results. 

I've seen a lot of articles about the forays of OBOR into the Balkans recently...ie near landlocked Montenegro, not surrounded by any wealthy markets, demographically stagnany (likely to shrink once in the EU)

https://www.ft.com/content/e7a08b54-9554-11e8-b747-fb1e803ee64e

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-china-silkroad-europe-montenegro-insi/chinese-highway-to-nowhere-haunts-montenegro-idUKKBN1K60R5

Perhaps it will be good for the developing world to have the US and BRICS bidding off against one another, but I suspect for the typical chinaman, benefits will prove very elusive. 

OBOR is a quick way for the Chinese to accumulate debt and go broke in the same way as the West did in 2007/8.

Problem is that, for example, current OBOR CAPEX in Cambodia represents about 60% if our current GDP. 

6 hours ago, Bkkandrew said:

OBOR is a quick way for the Chinese to accumulate debt and go broke in the same way as the West did in 2007/8.

Problem is that, for example, current OBOR CAPEX in Cambodia represents about 60% if our current GDP. 

That level of debt will destroy those countries that get involved in this shit