• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

One percent

Approaches to payback for poor employment practices

OK,

following a brief discussion with  @longtomsilver over on the Labour Manifesto thread, there seems to be some poor employment practices about.  Namely expecting staff to work over and above for nothing and then when quiet sending staff home.  There are also examples of people working in care not being paid for travel between sites.  My pet hate at the moment is that my employer sends me traveling quite far distances but then will only pay for the first 100 miles.  the last trip I was 30 quid down.  Not an insignificant amount.

So, calling on the dosbods massive for excellent ways to get payback without being caught.

Hello One Percent. I don't think I've ever been indirectly the topic of conversation so I'm flattered, really 😋

I'd really love to get payback on my employer but anything I do would quite possibly end in disciplinary action against me. If I stand around and do naff all I'll only have to do whatever wasn't done later as there is no one else to do it for me. I'm ok as I get to keep most of what I earn but my long term plan is to abuse the statutory sick pay policy in 5 years and then open the taps on all the credit facilities available to me... unbelievably I have £30k in credit card credit and would be accepted for a £25k loan (at 12.7%). 

That should tide me over until I'm 50 and then I only have to bridge the gap between then and 57. 

Fyi. I have been PAPPd (personal action performance plan) three times already this year for silly reasons or no reasons at all. Technically they can dismiss me on 3. Other members of staff are on 16+ and they retain them on file indefinitely which I believe is a breach of contract law.

Fear is the name of the game.

Edited by longtomsilver

6 minutes ago, longtomsilver said:

Hello One Percent. I don't think I've ever been indirectly the topic of conversation so I'm flattered, really 😋

I'd really love to get payback on my employer but anything I do would quite possibly end in disciplinary action against me. If I stand around and do naff all I'll only have to do whatever wasn't done later as there is no one else to do it for me. I'm ok as I get to keep most of what I earn but my long term plan is to abuse the statutory sick pay policy in 5 years and then open the taps on all the credit facilities available to me... unbelievably I have £30k in credit card credit and would be accepted for a £25k loan (at 12.7%). 

That should tide me over until I'm 50 and then I only have to bridge the gap between then and 57. 

Fyi. I have been PAPPd (personal action performance plan) three times already this year for silly reasons or no reasons at all. Technically they can dismiss me on 3. Other members of staff are on 16+ and they retain them on file indefinitely which I believe is a breach of contract law.

Fear is the name of the game.

That's where the dosbods massive comes in.  Sand in the mechanism without being caught.

Apparently a favourite one in dealing with bad landlords is prawns in the curtain poles as you leave  :D

10 minutes ago, onlyme said:

1) Find a new employer and probably get a better job and pay rise in the process.

2) See 1)

3) See 1) and 2)

But that's an individual approach onlyme.  It does not fight back against poor employment.  It is one option though but even if taken, there is a bit of comeuppance to be had on leaving

20 minutes ago, onlyme said:

1) Find a new employer and probably get a better job and pay rise in the process.

2) See 1)

3) See 1) and 2)

Someone has to do these jobs. It's the same tired statement that everyone should educate themselves to the level of a doctor/engineer. Whose going to wipe your arse when you're senile and in a care home then? 

Actually, I found a better paying job a few months ago and it's something I would have liked to do however as my main occupation are my children I found it impossible to take. They are on half term this week, 8 weeks summer hols, school pick ups and drop offs. Can you suggest anything to fit around this?

Edited by longtomsilver

2 minutes ago, longtomsilver said:

Someone has to do these jobs. It's the same tired statement that everyone should educate themselves to the level of a doctor/engineer. Whose going to wipe your arse when you're senile and in a care home then? 

Actually, I found a better paying job a few months ago and it's something I would have liked to do however as my main occupation are my children I found it impossible to take. They are on half term this week, 8 weeks summer hols, school pick ups and drop offs. Can you suggest anything to fit around this?

The same as every other working parent: kids clubs, grannies and friends and expensive childcare.

Just now, One percent said:

But that's an individual approach onlyme.  It does not fight back against poor employment.  It is one option though but even if taken, there is a bit of comeuppance to be had on leaving

For sure. But when you think of the combinations of X Workers and Y Companies to work for and Z practices that could range from anything from petty and really not worth worrying about to pretty disgraceful treatment then the scope and range of say regulation that would be required to deal with poor employment practices, it happens and there is no way regulation will stop it. So it then comes down to very individual personal circumstances - if your employer is taking advantage or not providing an environment that is good for you, leave.

I've ditched a job with no backstop, on the spot decision, but brewing for a while and it was the right choice.  it just was not worth it to me. I'm not suggesting that route which is why being proactive is a better way. 

3 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

The same as every other working parent: kids clubs, grannies and friends and expensive childcare.

One Granny lives 10 hours away and the last time I used my own mother for child care she negligently allowed my baby daughter to fall, hitting her head hard causing brain injuries that put her on kepra and had me in and out of hospital for over 2 years. All our friends have jobs too and the kids clubs don't offer wrap around care. 

2 minutes ago, longtomsilver said:

One Granny lives 10 hours away and the last time I used my own mother for child care she negligently allowed my baby daughter to fall, hitting her head hard causing brain injuries that put her on kepra and had me in and out of hospital for over 2 years. All our friends have jobs too and the kids clubs don't offer wrap around care. 

Terrible circumstances, I can't imagine what that would be like and only makes the situation more difficult.

However, for a positive change in your life still suggest if not happy with employment always be looking, always have an up to date and good cv and good interview technique - helped by going through the application process itself as well as a bit of reading around and fine tuning those skills. You never know what opportunities might turn up.

25 minutes ago, longtomsilver said:

I empathise having been stuck in this situation eighteen years ago when ex husband buggered off when kids were 4 & 5. An endless procession of shit low paid jobs to fit round kids. Very very difficult and draining trying to get them looked after, picked up, household chores etc.

Did do a degree through OU but didn't help because by the time they were grown up I discovered I was on the scrap heap at 50!

Now 59 and even harder to find any type of job. I have a paid for home and smallish pension just waiting for state pension age 66.     Life could be better for me but could be a lot worse and have just learnt to accept my lot in life.

Hopefully things will work out better for you.

1 hour ago, One percent said:

OK,

following a brief discussion with  @longtomsilver over on the Labour Manifesto thread, there seems to be some poor employment practices about.  Namely expecting staff to work over and above for nothing and then when quiet sending staff home.  There are also examples of people working in care not being paid for travel between sites.  My pet hate at the moment is that my employer sends me traveling quite far distances but then will only pay for the first 100 miles.  the last trip I was 30 quid down.  Not an insignificant amount.

So, calling on the dosbods massive for excellent ways to get payback without being caught.

Remember that if your employer doesn't pay for things that are essential to your work (like this travel) then you can get tax relief on the costs in your tax return.  As you (can probably) cost these at the 45p/mile rate, you'll probably get back your petrol costs (if not the other ('hidden') costs of running a car).

2 minutes ago, dgul said:

Remember that if your employer doesn't pay for things that are essential to your work (like this travel) then you can get tax relief on the costs in your tax return.  As you (can probably) cost these at the 45p/mile rate, you'll probably get back your petrol costs (if not the other ('hidden') costs of running a car).

Ah, ta very much, I will look into that 

13 minutes ago, dgul said:

We claim the tax relief back on MrsLTS car. They pay her 9p a mile fuel which works out at an additional 14.4p.

32 minutes ago, Economic Exile said:

I empathise having been stuck in this situation eighteen years ago when ex husband buggered off when kids were 4 & 5. An endless procession of shit low paid jobs to fit round kids. Very very difficult and draining trying to get them looked after, picked up, household chores etc.

Did do a degree through OU but didn't help because by the time they were grown up I discovered I was on the scrap heap at 50!

Now 59 and even harder to find any type of job. I have a paid for home and smallish pension just waiting for state pension age 66.     Life could be better for me but could be a lot worse and have just learnt to accept my lot in life.

Hopefully things will work out better for you.

My wife would bugger off too if it wasn't for me holding the household together. She is a high flyer, now the MD of a company in charge of a £130million turnover and that wouldn't have happened without me in the background. I doubt very much that my outcome will be any different to yours which is why I'm perversely setting myself up to fail in the most glorious way, time is precious and if I don't end up with anyone else (there maybe someone) it'll be one man, his van (conversion), a £250k SIPP and my paraglider. 

Ageism is sadly not going to go away. MrsLTS recently dismissed a very shit senior employee and he played the ageism card (he's been in the job less than a year, she employed him ffs) so they were forced to put everyone doing his job  (in other markets) into consultation at enormous expense to the company, she's had to fly all over Europe (she's there now). Only makes older people (even better ones) less employable. 

21 minutes ago, longtomsilver said:

We claim the tax relief back on MrsLTS car. They pay her 9p a mile fuel which works out at an additional 14.4p.

That's the way it worked at my old place, now I get the full 45p for first 10000 miles and 25p ( I think ) thereafter. I've still got last years claim to do for when I worked at the old gaff, probably a good 1500 to claim back I reckon, just never got around to it

4 minutes ago, longtomsilver said:

My wife would bugger off too if it wasn't for me holding the household together. She is a high flyer, now the MD of a company in charge of a £130million turnover and that wouldn't have happened without me in the background. I doubt very much that my outcome will be any different to yours which is why I'm perversely setting myself up to fail in the most glorious way, time is precious and if I don't end up with anyone else (there maybe someone) it'll be one man, his van (conversion), a £250k SIPP and my paraglider. 

Ageism is sadly not going to go away. MrsLTS recently dismissed a very shit senior employee and he played the ageism card (he's been in the job less than a year, she employed him ffs) so they were forced to put everyone doing his job  (in other markets) into consultation at enormous expense to the company, she's had to fly all over Europe (she's there now). Only makes older people (even better ones) less employable. 

Maybe you'll hit the jackpot being the homemaker and get to keep the house.

Then we can have a DOSBODS party :)

Time is money. If you're paid a standard full time wage when travelling, for every X quid you lose, make sure the trip takes Y hours longer (bad traffic, puncture etc). Use the extra time to stop en-route and do something you enjoy.

25 minutes ago, Thombleached said:

Maybe you'll hit the jackpot being the homemaker and get to keep the house.

Then we can have a DOSBODS party :)

You're not a million miles from me so we can have the party anyway, why wait ;) 

I don't want the house. Spending half my life on hpc put me off ownership forever :D  

3 hours ago, One percent said:

OK,

Tell your boss that you are simply unable (not unwilling) to pay for travel costs incurred directly and solely as a result of your work. 

That's shit you have done it all all, stop doing it.

2 hours ago, One percent said:

That's where the dosbods massive comes in.  Sand in the mechanism without being caught.

Apparently a favourite one in dealing with bad landlords is prawns in the curtain poles as you leave  :D

Ha! I've heard of a few of these. Prawns pushed into curtain hems. Punctured tins of tuna under floor boards or in inaccesable places, etc. 

Drilling a small hole in water pipes, draining the central heating, planting knotweed in the grounds. 

All awful and wrong of course.

2 hours ago, longtomsilver said:

Start your own wee business? working tax credits and all that, flexible (depending on what you are doing) hours and days worked, probably more money too.

Edited by Carl Fimble
adding wee and ?

Yip, its not always so easy. Hope your daughter is ok now.

3 hours ago, One percent said:

OK,

Is it actually that?  I was told all manner of rubbish about my company's travel policy by people who thought it was what it was twenty years ago, banging on about out of county travel and having to use hire cars whereas I wanted to use my own car (much more convenient plus the mileage allowance is a bonus).  So I ignored them and actually read it.

There is a cap on claiming limited to the second class rail fare which has cost me a bit on some trips but generally getting 45p per mile tax free when it costs me 10p per mile in fuel is quids in.

I am very surprised about people working in care not being paid for inter site travel because that has already been defeated in a tribunal ?five years ago.  They don't get paid for home to first or last to home AFAIK but all other travel counts as paid time.

Edited by Frank Hovis

Simple. Start your own business.