DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Reasons not to buy a new build #354

One percent

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46302905

Two years after buying their £325,000 house from developers Bovis, Craig Wakeman and partner Tracey Bickford are still waiting to move in after discovering their dream home was riddled with 354 defects, many of them structural.

The couple told BBC Radio 5 Live Investigates buying the house was "one of the worst decisions we've ever made".

Nine out of 10 new home buyers surveyed by the New Homes Review found defects in their houses.

3 minutes ago, MrPin said:

It's better to find a defect in an old house, and just plaster over it.

Worked on this place, over damp, over mains cable twisted together and loosely screw into chock strip, just a couple of examples.

10 minutes ago, One percent said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46302905

Two years after buying their £325,000 house from developers Bovis, Craig Wakeman and partner Tracey Bickford are still waiting to move in after discovering their dream home was riddled with 354 defects, many of them structural.

The couple told BBC Radio 5 Live Investigates buying the house was "one of the worst decisions we've ever made".

Nine out of 10 new home buyers surveyed by the New Homes Review found defects in their houses.

IMO this is going to be the next big 'surprise surprise' scandal - when someone miraculously discovers the blindingly obvious - that all the housing being bunged up currently by the major builders is a pile of 100% stinking, steaming shit.

Many people don't even know they are buying a Barratt or Bovis or Wimpey home because of the other company names that the major builders trade under such as Bloor Homes, David Wilson Homes etc, names that sound like nice 'n cosy, smaller builders when in fact they are just a different name on the same stinking, steaming shit.

This country is shit wherever you look.

Minimum service for maximum price

It doesn't matter that 9/10 new builds have problems, or that they are more expensive than non-new builds, or that they have tiny gardens with rubble hidden 2" under the turf, or that they are overlooked, cramped etc as they still seem to sell like hotcakes.

One of life's mysteries really. If they were cheaper I could understand it.

5 minutes ago, spunko said:

It doesn't matter that 9/10 new builds have problems, or that they are more expensive than non-new builds, or that they have tiny gardens with rubble hidden 2" under the turf, or that they are overlooked, cramped etc as they still seem to sell like hotcakes.

*cough* help to buy *cough* 

10 minutes ago, spunko said:

It's because every bedroom has a bathroom, innit

Went round a show home on a new estate recently just for shits ' giggles. A 6 bedroom 5 bathroom property capable of sleeping 11. Two bedrooms were in the loft and one bedroom was by the front door. It was in fact a 3 bedroom property. Anyway, if every bed was used so there were 11 people in the house, each person would have 1.5 sq m of space in the living room.

Every door head on the ground floor had dropped so that none of the doors closed.

The Price £600k

if you wanted to personalise it by adding downlighters instead of a central ceiling rose, the price was an extra £1K per room xDO.o

13 minutes ago, spunko said:

Fancy brochure selling an aspirational lifestyle.

'Incentives' - including deposits for fuckwits who can't save.

6 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

Went round a show home on a new estate recently just for shits ' giggles. A 6 bedroom 5 bathroom property capable of sleeping 11. Two bedrooms were in the loft and one bedroom was by the front door. It was in fact a 3 bedroom property. Anyway, if every bed was used so there were 11 people in the house, each person would have 1.5 sq m of space in the living room.

Every door head on the ground floor had dropped so that none of the doors closed.

The Price £600k

if you wanted to personalise it by adding downlighters instead of a central ceiling rose, the price was an extra £1K per room xDO.o

Never thought about it like that but makes sense, they are clinical, simple and straight-forward. Everything is plastic or MDF and if it fuck up then just rip it out and buy a new one.

You get a box (room) per person in your family, they get their own toilet and everyone's "happy".

2 minutes ago, Cosmic Apple said:

Fancy brochure selling an aspirational lifestyle.

'Incentives' - including deposits for fuckwits who can't save.

I see a load of older folk moving into the big new houses round here, built by Redrow.  I have to confess the Edwardian/modern mix of architecture does look quite nice - for now. Not so sure in 5 years time...

Apparently they just want a simple life;  the couple who were close to buying my old house decided they would only buy new "at that stage in their life" (they were early 70s) as they didn't want to do DIY. They wanted to specify the colours, carpets etc and just move in and leave it as it is, presumably until they kark it.  If only it was that easy...

A small scale builder is putting some up near me. I took a look as I thought "They look OK. Gardens a bit small though...". 2 had gone up at this point... there were 4 more to go up on what I thought was the gardens!

19 hours ago, Hopeful said:

Say WHAT? Good grief. O.o

9 hours ago, Cosmic Apple said:

A small scale builder is putting some up near me. I took a look as I thought "They look OK. Gardens a bit small though...". 2 had gone up at this point... there were 4 more to go up on what I thought was the gardens!

Don't understand that either. Posh house near me has been built and for sale at £1m. Immediately next door developer is going to build another one, once the first one sells and they have some money to build. Who would want to live on a building site for a year?

4 minutes ago, One percent said:

Well, it appears from the rightmove map that it’s off the coast of Ghana. xD

I didn't notice that, 1%. How odd!

o.O I wonder, are Purple Bricks registered in UmBongo land for tax purposes? :/

4 minutes ago, UmBongo said:

I didn't notice that, 1%. How odd!

o.O I wonder, are Purple Bricks registered in UmBongo land for tax purposes? :/

xD

im reckoning that it suffers a bit from rising damp. 

39 minutes ago, UmBongo said:

£90,000 for this....well 45% of it anyway. I wonder how long this place will last?

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-58112373.html

Utter madness to be valuing that place at £200k for a two bed terraced. That bathroom will need replacing after a year or two. We took a look at townhouse one time that was approx 3 years old. Every ensuite and the bathroom where in need of changing.

On 24/11/2018 at 19:21, Hopeful said:

The Price £600k

Ensuite for every bedroom.

HMO to go.

On 24/11/2018 at 19:34, spunko said:

I see a load of older folk moving into the big new houses round here, built by Redrow.  I have to confess the Edwardian/modern mix of architecture does look quite nice - for now. Not so sure in 5 years time...

Apparently they just want a simple life;  the couple who were close to buying my old house decided they would only buy new "at that stage in their life" (they were early 70s) as they didn't want to do DIY. They wanted to specify the colours, carpets etc and just move in and leave it as it is, presumably until they kark it.  If only it was that easy...

Well, saves on gravediggers and coffins then...by the time they `pop their clogs` it will be falling down around  them! :-)

Have the builders fallen out with the government?  I only ask as it's always been the case (but perhaps not well-known about) that new-builds come with a list of "snagging" faults and in the new-build I lived in for a while recently (bought in 2008) the builder put them right straight away and I was impressed with their service.  They were very minor things though and sometimes new-builds have major issues which must be a nightmare for the buyer.  The article doesn't really explain what the problems were although to have that many faults would imply some of them at least were major.  For the So-Called BBC to highlight this now makes me wonder if there is a hidden agenda..........-_-

On 24/11/2018 at 19:13, spunko said:

Not really.

Women drive the purchase.

Archived