• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
spunko

Gardener's World

Does anyone here watch GW? I've been watching avidly for about 6 years, haven't missed an episode in that time.

I've read on another forum that Monty Don is ill, which I hope not. But have noticed that increasingly other presenters are being lined up and used more often, which makes sense if the franchise is to continue. Sadly it looks like the So-Called BBC is at risk of killing another golden goose, if the rumours are true that bloody James Wong and Frances Tophill are to be the next presenters.

I don't like James Wong, he has a fetid stench of elitism and snobbery about him that a lot of RHS / Kew trained people possess. A quick check of his Twitter feed and he's saying all the right things that the So-Called BBC top brass absolutely love. (Food banks are Tory creations, UKIP are evil, yada yada).

Frances Tophill seems tolerable, but too young. If the So-Called BBC ruin GW by bringing in some boxtickers - which they are aching to do I suspect - is there any other programme I can watch that is as relaxing as this? I haven't found anything.

Really hope Monty Don stays on. The fact he winds up the many elitists for not being 'classically trained' I find a lot of joy from. ("He's not a gardener, he owned a restaurant don't you know!")

Gardeners QT is great, I always forget about it and miss it though.

If you listen to GQT then you'd probably find GW too amateur as it's more for the 'entry level' gardener.

5 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

Gardeners QT is great, I always forget about it and miss it though.

If you listen to GQT then you'd probably find GW too amateur as it's more for the 'entry level' gardener.

I don't have a clue what they are on about really on QT but find the bonhomie of the general chat and the level of expertise on offer just great to listen to.  Sadly, I miss it more often than I manage to catch it. 

They could build an ossuary from all the old presenters bones, would make a nice feature. Other programmes though, Peter Seabrook was a bit mad and who was the tit always going on about 'pergolas' and 'outside rooms'

On 03/06/2017 at 00:32, Panther said:

They could build an ossuary from all the old presenters bones, would make a nice feature. Other programmes though, Peter Seabrook was a bit mad and who was the tit always going on about 'pergolas' and 'outside rooms'

Probably Bob Flowerdew? Slightly unhinged I think.

Bob-Flowerdew.jpg

Speaking of unhinged, I quite like Sarah Raven.

On 01/06/2017 at 12:03, spunko2010 said:

Frances Tophill seems tolerable, but too young. If the So-Called BBC ruin GW by bringing in some boxtickers - which they are aching to do I suspect - is there any other programme I can watch that is as relaxing as this? I haven't found anything.

You could try "Beechgrove Garden" which is gloriously stuck in a 70s timewarp.  It's made north of the border, so Iplayer will be your friend. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00721bz

I've grown to rather like Monty Don's presenting style, he seems more engaging doing the solo gig on GW than he did doing his garden tours of Italy etc.

On 6/1/2017 at 12:06, spunko2010 said:

No, he karked it about 20 years ago!

and the rest. I think I was stil at school when Geoff died. 

lol no. 1996 apparently. 

Edited by sarahbell

Have roadside garden frontage, yesterday had a dead crow, forgot to go back to pick it up, This morning crow gone and replaced by dead badger.

Must be the full moon.

Edited by onlyme