• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
The Masked Tulip

Herbs & Spices

Anyone here use the Aldi own brand herbs and spices - the stuff that comes in little bottles? Any good?

I notice that Tesco has a sale on Schwartz ones - 2 for £2.00 but was wondering if the Aldi ones are any good or not? My local Lidl only carries a tiny range so not bothering with them.

I am not interested in going to a Chinese supermarket and bulk buying as the herbs would most likely go off before I use them.

8 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Anyone here use the Aldi own brand herbs and spices - the stuff that comes in little bottles? Any good?

I notice that Tesco has a sale on Schwartz ones - 2 for £2.00 but was wondering if the Aldi ones are any good or not? My local Lidl only carries a tiny range so not bothering with them.

I am not interested in going to a Chinese supermarket and bulk buying as the herbs would most likely go off before I use them.

In all honesty a lot depends on if your tastebuds are good enough to tell the difference. With powdered spices I find them all pretty much the same (i.e. mine aren't), so I tend to go for the cheap ones.

The only ones I buy in bulk are the ones that I grind (mainly coriander and cumin), because they last pretty much forever. And you will be able to tell the difference between freshly ground and powdered. Freshly ground cumin in particular is completely different.

9 minutes ago, MrPin said:

May the Schwartz be with you! Own brand spices are OK, but if you really need 5kg of turmeric, those Chinese supermarkets are great, if there's one near you?

I bought 5kg of turmeric from the Wing Yip in Birmingham in 1998. I still have 4.8 kg left. Do you think they'll let me return it?

11 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

I bought 5kg of turmeric from the Wing Yip in Birmingham in 1998. I still have 4.8 kg left. Do you think they'll let me return it?

Ah Wing-Yip. There's a big one in Manchester. One of my mates shared a house with a Mr Yip junior, at university.