• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
the gardener

Xbox for dummies

I need the Dosbods massive's wisdom on all things tech.

I would like to be able to play my son in co-op mode in various games, e.g. Star Wars Battlefront, Forza, Fortnite etc. using an xbox.  To a non-gamer type person like me  I just buy another xbox one s and play but I now realise there may be issues.

Questions I have are:

1) I understand I need to have a separate Microsoft account but do I need to buy an additional xbox live subscription for the second xbox

2) Do I need to buy another copy of each game I want to play

3) Will it even work with my router?  I have read online about some routers only letting one xbox on at a time.  Apparently it may take some router configuration to sort it out.  I currently use a BT Home Hub 6.  I used to have a Netgear DG3700 (or something like that).  I found that the old Netgear wouldn't allow my work laptop to do it's VPN stuff and after much research on the interweb I concluded that the Netgear firmware was crap and despite having options to do port forwarding etc nothing I did would work.  I junked the router and used the BT one which is fine with my work laptop.

Does anyone have any ideas about whether it's possible to have two Xboxes on one home network and play each other?

How big is your TV?

Most people play the game on 1 xbox, 1 TV and 1 game - the game being played on the xbox and not online so no Xbox live subscription required. However, both users will need an Xbox account in order to have a gamertag (name such as SexyBimboKillerButIamnotaNutter).

It is a tad difficult on smaller TV's but no problem if you have a big telly. You can go on youtube and see people putting big sheets of cardboard halfway down the screen, like Steptoe & Son, so that each player cannot see where their opponent is.

Yes, you can have two xboxes in one home sharing the same router. You can then play xbox to xbox but you would both need a copy of the game... which adds to the cost... so most people do what I said above. You can play up to 4 players this way IIRC.

It's been a while since I xboxed but this is how was before.

• Xbox live for each account
  • A game disc for each console
  • Two consoles did work on our router without a problem.

There was a workaround with the games, which i have no idea if still valid so look it up for confirmation. Essentially a profile that buys a digital game can play it anywhere it is signed in. Any profile can play a game, which is signed in on the console that is owned by the purchasing profile. So by using one profile you buy it on the main console then with the profile that has purchased the game you log in to the other console and they play it on that console. But please check if that is still valid. Also digital games can cost more than the physical. One used to be able to use a vpn and buy them in other regions for discounts. No idea if that is still possible, probably not.

Varies by game. Some games will offer system link play, so you're just using your local network to play each other. 

I would imagine something like battlefront would not offer system link though. So to play each other would need two live accounts going through the MS servers.

Used to be in the day of Xbox/xbox360 system link was a standard with all games. But less and less people play their friends in the same room these days so it's less prevalent. Just Google "game X system link compatible Xbox one"

port forwarding can be a pita with multiple consoles, you can change the default ports of one of the consoles and create static port forwarding rules, but good luck with that.

alternatively, use upnp. Assuming your router supports it and has implemented it well you should just enable the option and all should work (homehubs were/are shit for upnp btw)

Edited by snaga

2 hours ago, snaga said:

port forwarding can be a pita with multiple consoles, you can change the default ports of one of the consoles and create static port forwarding rules, but good luck with that.

alternatively, use upnp. Assuming your router supports it and has implemented it well you should just enable the option and all should work (homehubs were/are shit for upnp btw)

Yes this is what I'm concerned about - home hubs being shot for upnp. Having suffered with trying to get the net gear router to allow my work laptop vpn through I just realise I don't have the patience/cash to waste buying endless routers to find one that works.

I'll just have to go to some else's house so that I can play multiplayer against my child. Madness.

Edited by the gardener

5 hours ago, the gardener said:

I need the Dosbods massive's wisdom on all things tech.

I would like to be able to play my son in co-op mode in various games, e.g. Star Wars Battlefront, Forza, Fortnite etc. using an xbox.  To a non-gamer type person like me  I just buy another xbox one s and play but I now realise there may be issues..............

If you have a Nintendo Switch I believe you can crossplay Fortnite with an Xbox. Obv not the other games though.

Edited by fooked

5 hours ago, A_P said:

It's been a while since I xboxed but this is how was before.

• Xbox live for each account
  • A game disc for each console
  • Two consoles did work on our router without a problem.

There was a workaround with the games, which i have no idea if still valid so look it up for confirmation. Essentially a profile that buys a digital game can play it anywhere it is signed in. Any profile can play a game, which is signed in on the console that is owned by the purchasing profile. So by using one profile you buy it on the main console then with the profile that has purchased the game you log in to the other console and they play it on that console. But please check if that is still valid. Also digital games can cost more than the physical. One used to be able to use a vpn and buy them in other regions for discounts. No idea if that is still possible, probably not.

This is it, you need to set your "Home" account to your sons Xbox, that way you only need to buy one copy of the game. I think this will also share your live account also.

Of course this is only the case with Digitally downloaded games, pretty much that standard these days.

The only issue with this is if you are not connected to the internet then games on your xbox (i.e. the one that is not home) will not work as they can't check the licence keys. If your soul aim is to play with your son it won't be an issue because you will generally need a xbox live connection to play anyway.

I do this with my Nephew, he has access to all of my games. I don't think in the two years I've had that set up I've ever lost internet connectivity (or at least not when I've been there).

Essentially anything you buy is always available on your home console regardless of who is signed in, it's also available on any console you are currently logged in to (and have an internet connection)

51 minutes ago, the gardener said:

Yes this is what I'm concerned about - home hubs being shot for upnp. Having suffered with trying to get the net gear router to allow my work laptop vpn through I just realise I don't have the patience/cash to waste buying endless routers to find one that works.

I'll just have to go to some else's house so that I can play multiplayer against my child. Madness. 

Not sure why you say that, no requirement to port forward* and you can have multiple Xbox on the same network no problem.

* Can be done and does offer benefits, but not essential at all.

30 minutes ago, gilf said:

Not sure why you say that, no requirement to port forward* and you can have multiple Xbox on the same network no problem.

* Can be done and does offer benefits, but not essential at all.

really depends on the game, many now use an element of p2p networking, such as destiny, so inbound ports need to be opened. The first xbox to grab the default ports will work fine, the other will get network errors and kicked from the game world. Unless you have upnp working correctly, which is usually just a checkbox on your router.

Edited by snaga