• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
the gardener

More staff hired in shrinking pub industry

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46343963

One paragraph jumped out at me:

"Barking and Dagenham, Newham and Luton - all in and around London - now have fewer than half the pubs they did in 2001.  There are far fewer pubs in some towns around Manchester, including Burnley, Bolton and Rochdale, as well as on the outskirts of Birmingham, in areas including Sandwell, Dudley and Walsall."

I wonder what some of those areas have in common?   Could anyone enlighten me?

4 minutes ago, the gardener said:

"Barking and Dagenham, Newham and Luton - all in and around London - now have fewer than half the pubs they did in 2001.  There are far fewer pubs in some towns around Manchester, including Burnley, Bolton and Rochdale, as well as on the outskirts of Birmingham, in areas including Sandwell, Dudley and Walsall."

You can highlight Barking and Dagenham too.  Seems to fit a similar pattern to the rest

https://www.lbbd.gov.uk/population-and-demographic-data

Compare and contrast the 2001 and 2011 census.  the 2021 one will be interesting reading

27 minutes ago, MrPin said:

I'm afraid pubs have gone out of fashion. That is all. I haven't been to a pub for over  year.O.o

Price not fashion.  Somebody I know paid £4.50 for a pint in a pub in Cornwall last week.  Which buys you six cans of decent lager in Lidl or Aldi.

We've had a thread on this and up to the ?1970s it was much cheaper to drink in a pub than to buy it from an off licence.

When I was doing most of my pub drinking in the late 80s and 90s pubs were easily affordable even for a student or low paid worker.

Now Wetherspoons has the only reasonably priced beer left.  I go to a pub roughly monthly and as I'm usually driving I don't drink.

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

Price not fashion.  Now Wetherspoons has the only reasonably priced beer left.  I go to a pub roughly monthly and as I'm usually driving I don't drink.

Price of soft drinks is insane in some pubs.

3 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Price not fashion.  Somebody I know paid £4.50 for a pint in a pub in Cornwall last week.  Which buys you six cans of decent lager in Lidl or Aldi.

We've had a thread on this and up to the ?1970s it was much cheaper to drink in a pub than to buy it from an off licence.

When I was doing most of my pub drinking in the late 80s and 90s pubs were easily affordable even for a student or low paid worker.

Now Wetherspoons has the only reasonably priced beer left.  I go to a pub roughly monthly and as I'm usually driving I don't drink.

Damn business rates. They squeeze them dry. A pub is a luxury now. Still there's no fighting now.

4 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/failsworth-pub-stripped-licence-stabbing-15420403

Failsworth pub has licence suspended for three months after man stabbed in leg

Thankyou I know Failsworth very well. my chum moved to Altringham, where his car wasn't stolen every night. That was 30 years ago.

6 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

A few years ago the FT did a chart comparing the price of a pint in on-license v. off-license.

Up to the mid/late 90s it was cheaper to drink a pint in a pub.

I have a reasonably good memory of having to buy bottles from an offy when I was 18 (1988) and the price was about 30p more a pint. This is the North.  Then, I was told - I was paying the price of the bottle; it was a lot of cheaper to transport beer in barrel.

Then the you had multiple events - PubCos securisation , bidding up price of Pubs, supermarkets selling beer as a loss leader.

The most stark and painful comparison is the difference in price between a bottle of Becks, stabndard product, no different.

In a pub £3/£4.

Bought in as a 2 for 1 slab of 12 - 80p.

37 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Damn business rates. They squeeze them dry. A pub is a luxury now. Still there's no fighting now.

It isn't business rates pin, it's tax.

beer-VAT.jpg

Until a government worth their salt either lower these tax rates or tax beer in supermarkets at higher rates, nothing will change. I'm not so sure on the immigration thing, if I lived in Dagenham or Rochdale I'd be down the pub every night drinking because it's the only place I'd feel I could fit in.

34 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Thankyou I know Failsworth very well. my chum moved to Altringham, where his car wasn't stolen every night. That was 30 years ago.

It's not that bad now.
According to the crime stats. (I think most people don't bother reporting crimes.)

It's not that rough really.

1 hour ago, sarahbell said:

Price of soft drinks is insane in some pubs.

If we go for a drink from work we all normally have pints at around £2.15.

One of the women drives home so has Britvic orange with lemonade and soda. That's 3 separate bottles poured into one glass, not from a nozzle, so costs around £7.

She buys her own. xD

6 hours ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

If we go for a drink from work we all normally have pints at around £2.15.

One of the women drives home so has Britvic orange with lemonade and soda. That's 3 separate bottles poured into one glass, not from a nozzle, so costs around £7.

She buys her own. xD

foook!

10 hours ago, the gardener said:

Staff increase Probably driven by food sales and non alcoholic drinks. I worked for Greene King 9 years ago and then there was a big focus on food and driving non alcoholic sales such as coffee. 

the good time was 18 months ago when spoons did guiness for 1.99 the on off x had a 33% discount for working for em.result a pint for about a quid forty.the visits soon stoped when i had 6 pints for breakfast one day.but i slept well that day to be sure.

5 hours ago, stokiescum said:

the good time was 18 months ago when spoons did guiness for 1.99 the on off x had a 33% discount for working for em.result a pint for about a quid forty.the visits soon stoped when i had 6 pints for breakfast one day.but i slept well that day to be sure.

You can still get a good drinks deal at spoons. You just cannot be selective.

I just ask whats on the cheapest and take a stab.

mrs spy is wary of going in spoons. she tends to walk ut if there are too man drunk toothless hill billies and pro drinkers.

2 minutes ago, goldbug9999 said:

Licensed drink is ridiculously expensive and people are skint, I dont see the big mystery.

Pretty much. A pub meal is now a once in a while luxury. Pubs used to places where blokes got pissed, played darts and had a fight. These times have gone.

3 hours ago, MrPin said:

Pretty much. A pub meal is now a once in a while luxury. Pubs used to places where blokes got pissed, played darts and had a fight. These times have gone.

In Wetherspoons you can get a full English breakfast (including free tea or coffee) for less than a £5 (and that's in London!).

SKY Press Preview 26/11/2018

Presenter Anna Botting, with guest reviewers Stig Abell and Jenny Kleeman.

Discussing FT report into 'New Habits Chart The Fall And Rise Of The British Pub'.

Jenny points to very carefully worded "A growth in ethnic groups that drink less has played its part."

Immediately shut down by Botting "It's a complex picture, that's the point of the article."

Well done Anna. Mustn't allow criticism of ethnic groups. :o