• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
sukuinage

Flights to New York

Any travel experts out there?

I'm planning to fly to NY with the family next July to visit friends.  Anyone got any idea when the best i.e. cheapest time is to book?  Don't know whether to book now or whether there'll be better deals early next year

9 minutes ago, sukuinage said:

Any travel experts out there?

I'm planning to fly to NY with the family next July to visit friends.  Anyone got any idea when the best i.e. cheapest time is to book?  Don't know whether to book now or whether there'll be better deals early next year

If you go via dublin, you are pre-cleared and when you land in the USA you have no waiting in immigration - straight off the plane and to bag collection.  Much more enjoyable than having to wait up to three hours in a shit waiting line mixed in with a thousand random disease carriers from all over the world.

trust me on this one.

8 minutes ago, wherebee said:

If you go via dublin, you are pre-cleared and when you land in the USA you have no waiting in immigration - straight off the plane and to bag collection.  Much more enjoyable than having to wait up to three hours in a shit waiting line mixed in with a thousand random disease carriers from all over the world.

trust me on this one.

Isn't there also a ruse about connecting from Finland(?) so the long haul aspect of your flight is outside the EU and therefore avoids the massive fuel duty?

Edited by The Generation Game

Re the immigration thing. I've only been once. Christmas before last. Landed JFK on the 23rd December. I'd heard all about the queue for immigration, so was resigned to it. 

Anyway, followed all the signs, and went to the 1st time ESTA users. Arrived at desk. No queue. Just walked up to the desk. Finger prints done. Was asked reason for visit etc, and how much cash I had on me. Then that was it. Off I went. Took two minutes max. 

Edited by Uptherebels

1 minute ago, Uptherebels said:

Re the immigration thing. I've only been once. Christmas before last. Landed JFK on the 23rd December. I'd heard all about the queue for immigration, so was resigned to it. 

Anyway, followed all the signs, and went to the 1st time ESTA users. Arrived at desk. No queue. Just walked up to the desk. Finger prints done. Was asked reason for visit etc, and how much cash I had on me. Then that was it. Off I went. Took two minutes max. 

Yes, it can be fine.  But if you flight lands behind any others from Africa, ME, or Asia, each person can take 5-15 minutes to check.  I flew from Poland to NY last year and stood for 3 hours at 10pm-1am in a immigration hall.  fucking hellish.

13 minutes ago, sukuinage said:

I'm planning to fly to NY with the family next July to visit friends.  

Have a look on Money Saving Expert travel forum New York thread.

If you register with airline rewards programmes you can receive advanced notification of special offers.

BA and VA sales usually start Boxing Day but for rewards members you can access them earlier usually.

Flying to US from Amsterdam or Paris etc might be cheaper but can be extra hassle.

A popular option here (Wales) is to fly to US from Dublin as it saves paying APD and you have pre-clearance for US customs - can save time. 

If you are booking hotels yourself join their rewards schemes for offers.

You can book good offers for flights and hotels with Expedia. I don't like Expedia.

Just now, wherebee said:

Yes, it can be fine.  But if you flight lands behind any others from Africa, ME, or Asia, each person can take 5-15 minutes to check.  I flew from Poland to NY last year and stood for 3 hours at 10pm-1am in a immigration hall.  fucking hellish.

I've got previous experience of landing at the old Dhahran airport behind an Air India Jumbo.  Arrivals hall was "interesting"

Just now, Bedrag Justesen said:

Have a look on Money Saving Expert travel forum New York thread.

If you register with airline rewards programmes you can receive advanced notification of special offers.

BA and VA sales usually start Boxing Day but for rewards members you can access them earlier usually.

Flying to US from Amsterdam or Paris etc might be cheaper but can be extra hassle.

A popular option here (Wales) is to fly to US from Dublin as it saves paying APD and you have pre-clearance for US customs - can save time. 

If you are booking hotels yourself join their rewards schemes for offers.

You can book good offers for flights and hotels with Expedia. I don't like Expedia.

Should have said I live in Germany and Frankfurt would be my first choice but could also fly via Dublin if it saves me money and mister Ryanair isn't too expensive

Via Iceland can be cheap as well. Use google flights (https://www.google.com/flights/) to get an idea of dates and departure locations.

I used to be able get very cheap flights out of dublin connecting in PHL before flying onto wherever. Then direct back to LHR using AA's open jaw/multi-trip booking system. Was great for clocking up tier points and milage. When I've checked recently seems like doing that isn't as cheap these days. With Norwegian one can get a direct to the US for less than £300 now if willing to go with carry-on only.

Just now, Bedrag Justesen said:

Norwegian very popular.

All new planes too I think, as Easyjet, Ryanair.

BA planes from Manchester have propellors.

Just expect to be crammed in and pay for everything so get well fed before hand and take an empty bottle of water xD.

I have heard some horror stories but we flew Norwegian in summer 2017 and both there and return were excellent. Plane was brand new and very comfortable even in economy  and service was acceptable. They were more keen to flog drink than provide free water I remember and no meals were included but it was much cheaper than competition.

Keep an eye on prices and look for them starting to rise about end of March to April for July departure. I left it later than I should and booked in early July for mid August departure and paid significantly more than I could have earlier.

57 minutes ago, wherebee said:

trust me on this one.

This and Aerlingus do some decently cheap flights.

2 hours ago, wherebee said:

trust me on this one.

Didn't know that and really good idea. Is it only New York or does it work for other places in USA as well? 

As far as cheap flights, join the Secret Flying mailing list they have a lot of quite good prices at the moment. Also, Momondo have a good tool where you put your destination and it shows you cheapest and most expensive times of the year. 

JFK does depend on the time you land and how may others are landing. Last time we went was with BA via Shannon so cleared customs there and landed as a domestic flight. We touched down in front a couple of massive planes from the Middle East, our transfer driver said landing at 3pm during the week was hell for immigration queues.

BA usually does a good sale just after Christmas.

My number one tip: fly from London. Anywhere else and the competition is so poor that the prices are through the roof. 

As an example - my average flight price to the US from the North East is about £2k return in economy. I'm going to China in the new year, £2500 return, business class. 

The airlines really are bastards. I'm lucky to get change out of £500 for a flight to Germany. Last time I went to the Middle East it was only £600.

I would start looking for deals around now - NY is notoriously expensive to get a hotel room in and so I would seriously consider staying in New Jersey - there is a fast underground connection between the two and prices USED to be much cheaper than staying in NY. No idea about now.

Also plan ahead which airport is easier / cheaper to fly in / out of for your holiday.

There is hotukdeal for hotels in NY at the moment. I have not looked too closely at it.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/4-midtown-manhattan-new-york-hotel-up-to-40-off-book-direct-rewards-3120194

' Some dates I picked said $168/£130, other times like a long weekend next July were from $203/£158. The Deluxe rooms and suites were also heaving discounted and didn't cost much more.'

If you have not been to the US before then many rooms are able to take several people with deluxe rooms often for families - all depends on how old your kids are.

20 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I have not been to the US in some years but I thought that you had to pay £15, fill in an online form and get prior permission to enter the US before you fly IF you plan to fly into the US. Does not apply if you enter the US by ship or land.

£14 and it's multiple entry for 2 years.

5 hours ago, Cunning Plan said:

NY often comes up - via Iceland seems to be a well priced route BUT if you have a stopover in Iceland it will destroy any savings.

On the other hand, if the stopover is long enough you can go and see Iceland.

Which is very worth doing in the Summer months at least.