• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
201p

Monopoly for millenials - a joke?

No it's real. Forget buying a house, you can't afford it anyway. That is actually what it says on the front. I am surprised the easily offended aren't grossly grossly offended and got this game banned because the makers are clearly racist and bigots. Adulting is hard?

Not available in the UK yet.

Life poking fun at life.

download.jpg.97685ab4bae32c2bcb3450b2b2b1cbf9.jpg

download2.jpg.168cb95b795b43b33ccea79e1b708e09.jpg

Edited by 201p

Thoughts from the buyers of the game

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Monopoly-for-Millennials-Board-Game-Ages-8/311429770

This is the dumbest game ever. Discovering new restaurants? Id rather have a job and buy a home. Maybe it was the way I was raised, but i enjoy being an adult. My parents always instilled a work ethic and money-saving. What is wrong with you, Hasbro?

---

Having No Money Has Never Been So Fun!
Average rating:5out of5stars, based on0reviews

When I saw the hype about this game online I knew I had to have it. As a millennial myself I know how frustrating it is to have older generations look down upon us. “I want to buy this but I don't have enough money” was said by my mom throughout the entirety of the game... now she knows how it feels! The tag line “Forget real estate. You can't afford it anyway” ? TRUTH. Getting paid in experience? BEEN THERE DONE THAT. Whoever has the most student loans gets to go first? FINALLY! All in all this is a brilliant game and the instructions were the most enjoyable read I've had all year. Thanks Hasbro for another classic.

---

Edited by 201p

I guess there is some truth to the game. Today because of technology, and globalisation, getting a stable high paying job, and buying a house is the old trodden path that is generally not available to the masses.

The young have other avenues and need to think outside the box to survive, thrive and prosper. Look to the online gamers, youtubers, private instagramers etc. These can tap into global audiences and it can be lucrative if you have the talent.

1 minute ago, 201p said:

I guess there is some truth to the game. Today because of technology, and globalisation, getting a stable high paying job, and buying a house is the old trodden path that is generally not available to the masses.

The young have other avenues and need to think outside the box to survive, thrive and prosper. Look to the online gamers, youtubers, private instagramers etc. These can tap into global audiences and it can be lucrative if you have the talent.

I learned a bit about this just yesterday from the younger girlfriend of a mate of mine. She was explaining to me how to get engagement out of an instagram post of her roast dinner. After my initial mockery, she explained that for now she gets the odd free meal in a restaurant, but if she gets enough followers she could earn £40-50k from it.

I couldn't decide whether it was tragic or just that I'm reaching an age where the world doesn't make much sense to me any more. After some thought I decided it was tragic, because millennials seem to have concluded (perhaps correctly) that working and achieving is not going to buy them the life that it bought previous generations, so their best option is to go shit or bust at trying for some sort of celebrity.

5 minutes ago, spunko said:

I suppose you have to laugh about the absurdity of not being able to afford a home by virtue of being born in the wrong year,  otherwise you'll go mad!

It's all luck and timing.

3 minutes ago, spunko said:

I suppose you have to laugh about the absurdity of not being able to afford a home by virtue of being born in the wrong year,  otherwise you'll go mad!

The thing is though it’s difficult to laugh when you can’t attain a basic human need....a home of your own.

Ive been extremely lucky because I have that in life, albeit low waged, but only through luck.

TBH if I hadn’t been lucky that way I imagine I’d feel very resentful about it.

I have two mid twenties kids and one in particular wants their own home and isn’t feeling that it is attainable even though in a “professional” job with future prospects.

IMO lots of younger people will be unable to laugh about it. I hope they will get angry about it, mobilise and campaign.

15 minutes ago, Fully Detached said:

I learned a bit about this just yesterday from the younger girlfriend of a mate of mine. She was explaining to me how to get engagement out of an instagram post of her roast dinner. After my initial mockery, she explained that for now she gets the odd free meal in a restaurant, but if she gets enough followers she could earn £40-50k from it.

I couldn't decide whether it was tragic or just that I'm reaching an age where the world doesn't make much sense to me any more. After some thought I decided it was tragic, because millennials seem to have concluded (perhaps correctly) that working and achieving is not going to buy them the life that it bought previous generations, so their best option is to go shit or bust at trying for some sort of celebrity.

A few things that stand out to me as someone with some knowledge of how it works:

1. Most of these people who are making a lot of money from Instagram etc will be working long hours. It's never as easy as they make it sound, as a rule. 

2. Only about 0.01% of people on Instagram will actually be making real money from it.  It's the basic numbers / critical mass rule that applies to all these things. 

17 minutes ago, Fully Detached said:

Yeah, I think it works like this. Let's say you are attracted to people with big eyes.

Well you build a portfolio of selfies with your eyes (your assets). And make videos as well. Market yourself on dating sites, or forums/reddits that people share content with big eyes. You then also have more exclusive content to paying subscribers or donators. These people get a bunch of pictures or custom videos. If you have 5000 followers, and just 100 paid £20 for exclusive content, that's £2000 in a month.

3 minutes ago, spunko said:

A few things that stand out to me as someone with some knowledge of how it works:

1. Most of these people who are making a lot of money from Instagram etc will be working long hours. It's never as easy as they make it sound, as a rule. 

2. Only about 0.01% of people on Instagram will actually be making real money from it.  It's the basic numbers / critical mass rule that applies to all these things. 

Agreed. The era of being a long term star has IMO passed on to the era of trying to cash in as a celebrity.

With the internet anyone can have a go.

Most of the triers are going to fail because of the numbers 

53 minutes ago, 201p said:

No it's real. Forget buying a house, you can't afford it anyway. That is actually what it says on the front. I am surprised the easily offended aren't grossly grossly offended and got this game banned because the makers are clearly racist and bigots. Adulting is hard?

Life poking fun at life.

The point of monopoly is in demonstrating that eventually a minority gets to own all the assets.  It is very good at demonstrating this -- it is the end point of every game.

What is the point of the Millennials version?

18 minutes ago, spunko said:

Only about 0.01% of people on Instagram will actually be making real money from it.

That's why I think it's tragic - the odds of pulling it off as a social media guru are probably about the same as the odds of us lot when we were younger becoming the lead guitarist in a successful rock band, but the kids today still see it as something that's worth a try. I imagine that's partly because of their incorrect perception that it's an "easy" way to make money, but also significantly because working hard to earn £40-50k in a 9-5 job really isn't going to buy them the lifestyle that the generations before them appear to have had.

Edited by Fully Detached

1 hour ago, 201p said:

Life poking fun at life.

Apparently they also made a Monopoly Boomer Edition, but it was way too easy and so they shelved it. 

1 hour ago, 201p said:

That's me fucked then. 

Unless you consider the ability to accidentally flatten my own thumb with a hammer to be a talent. Maybe I should try to film it next time.

1 hour ago, spunko said:

disagree,its more to do with the wrong area not the wrong year.a friend offered to sell his london home(its an x council bought under right to buy and overlooks one of the docks you can see david bowies place with binoculars) and buy his 2 sons  both close to 30 years old a 4 bed detached each up here outright).he was thinking 3 houses ie a house each maybe 600k.

his house was worth 950k then,probably 1.2 mill now.this was around 6 years ago.his misses has just turned 60 he is 54.he had another family meeting since his wife is a 60k a year pa and he earns 40k.no morgage so they live a fantastic life basicly they can spunk the lot.his kids both earn good money and are hanging around in the trendy places.he was out voted 3-1 about moveing north.he surgested moveing up here his wife could retire and he could carry on earning 15 an hour driveing for tesco.and they could draw down on the 350-500k left .so my mate on paper is a millionare but he feels trapped little prospect of grandkids or seeing his kids leave.so who is the fool him or her lol.

8 hours ago, stokiescum said:

disagree,its more to do with the wrong area not the wrong year.a friend offered to sell his london home(its an x council bought under right to buy and overlooks one of the docks you can see david bowies place with binoculars) and buy his 2 sons  both close to 30 years old a 4 bed detached each up here outright).he was thinking 3 houses ie a house each maybe 600k.

his house was worth 950k then,probably 1.2 mill now.this was around 6 years ago.his misses has just turned 60 he is 54.he had another family meeting since his wife is a 60k a year pa and he earns 40k.no morgage so they live a fantastic life basicly they can spunk the lot.his kids both earn good money and are hanging around in the trendy places.he was out voted 3-1 about moveing north.he surgested moveing up here his wife could retire and he could carry on earning 15 an hour driveing for tesco.and they could draw down on the 350-500k left .so my mate on paper is a millionare but he feels trapped little prospect of grandkids or seeing his kids leave.so who is the fool him or her lol.

If I'm reading that right he's a Tesco delivery driver earning 40k ? 

Either way his situation isn't typical, and neither are his sons I'd say only a tiny percent of people can buy their two adult children houses. Or would want to - even if I could afford to I wouldn't. 

11 minutes ago, spunko said:

If I'm reading that right he's a Tesco delivery driver earning 40k ? 

Either way his situation isn't typical, and neither are his sons I'd say only a tiny percent of people can buy their two adult children houses. Or would want to - even if I could afford to I wouldn't. 

yes he works nights driveing lorries,he used to work driveing for one of the big auction houses  in london driveing large expensive things around europe.he wants out of london he hates the place.he knows his kids will never be able to buy there he cant release equity he is 54 his misses is 60 he doesnt want to be in hock to the banks,he thought this was the best option for everyone.my point is thats its more to do with area than age.houses can still be bought in many other areas.they might still be overpriced but london is just insane.

3 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Just to pick up on Stokie's post I was reading an uninteresting divorce case yesterday which opened with noting the battle for the family's £1.4m house in Stamford Hill.

£1.4m, bet that's really nice.

No.

6650186-6429587-image-a-5_1543239823276.

Too Jewish.:o