• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
MrPin

Family History

Anyone traced theirs. A friend did it for me. It goes back to 1670 in Cambridgeshire, where somebody with my name was a Farmer. One of my ancestors, or at least a brother to one, was Mayor of Huntingdon twice in the 1880s. I knw my grandfather came from Huntingdon area.

Just now, stokiescum said:

my cousins done some of ours until around the 17th century but he wont tell any of us anything lol

Maybe it's a secret? Perhaps they were Catholics? Huntingdon is well within "Cromwell country".

14 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Maybe it's a secret? Perhaps they were Catholics? Huntingdon is well within "Cromwell country".

thats a given before the 15th century,but yes some were catholic and one changed religion 80 odd years ago to marry.but thats on my mothers side ie no relation to him.he is just being a twat.my sister had her dna tested from ancestery thingy.

46 % great British 27% Irish 15 % west European like France Germany Netherlands Luxemburg Switzerland the rest Iberian peninsula, Scandinavian,Finland/ and 1% eastern European 100 % Europe

Edited by stokiescum

25 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Anyone traced theirs. A friend did it for me. It goes back to 1670 in Cambridgeshire, where somebody with my name was a Farmer. One of my ancestors, or at least a brother to one, was Mayor of Huntingdon twice in the 1880s. I knw my grandfather came from Huntingdon area.

We have one side of the family back to early 1600s. Done by a distant (in all senses) relative. Gamekeepers, carpenters and smalltime merchants, no famous types. In the Victorian era we scattered to every imaginable distant country on the planet, some in the empire, some not, I was astonished at the variety of places people ended up. There are many corners of very distant foreign fields that will be forever Gloucestershire. 

Only on my fathers side.

No one famous, but my great grandfather had quite an interesting life,  mostly overseas, surviving ship wreck in the bay of biscay,  fighting the Chinese at Tientsin and sorting out the fuzzy wuzzys in East India.

42 minutes ago, MrPin said:

I also have some ancestors who lived somewhere. They lived fulfilling lives by all accounts.

4 minutes ago, Libspero said:

Only on my fathers side.

No one famous, but my great grandfather had quite an interesting life,  mostly overseas, surviving ship wreck in the bay of biscay,  fighting the Chinese at Tientsin and sorting out the fuzzy wuzzys in East India.

Now that's what I call British!:Old:

16 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

thats a given before the 15th century,but yes some were catholic and one changed religion 80 odd years ago to marry.but thats on my mothers side ie no relation to him.he is just being a twat.my sister had her dna tested from ancestery thingy.

46 % great British 27% Irish 15 % west European like France Germany Netherlands Luxemburg Switzerland the rest Iberian peninsula, Scandinavian,Finland/ and 1% eastern European 100 % Europe

I'm not sure these "DNA tests" are very scientific. It's probably a roulette wheel. Ah yes your ancestors were Japanese Aborigines!

1 minute ago, MrPin said:

Now that's what I call British!:Old:

I'm not sure these "DNA tests" are very scientific. It's probably a roulette wheel. Ah yes your ancestors were Japanese Aborigines!

i would tend to agree hence id not spend my cash doing it,the iberian bit was to be expected has its said north european  man was nealy wiped out by one of the iceages and one of the pockets of survivers was iberia.

3 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

i would tend to agree hence id not spend my cash doing it,the iberian bit was to be expected has its said north european  man was nealy wiped out by one of the iceages and one of the pockets of survivers was iberia.

Spain is a good bet for the "roulette wheel DNA" circús

I'm a quarter a John Lewis Christmas add. A third of an M&S Christmas ad and one tenth a Tesco Christmas ad. There's a bit of Sainsbury's in there as well but no Morrisons. It all gets a bit fuzzy around the German suprrmarket Christmas ads.

In short, I am a Rastafarian of Germanic origin with 9 kids living in a Kensington penthouse. 

Let's say I coughed up the money for a DNA test, and put my name down as Manuel Gonzales. I think they would say I had Spanish Ancestry, but if I signed up as Erik Magnusson, what would be the outcome?

What about sending away the same saliva sample (I assume that's all they want?:Sick1:) using different names, and see what happens.

One day you could be...

Abdul O'Reilly

Sven Matabele

Pierre Toshiba

Hamish Cohen

Actually, maybe Hamish Cohen won't pay for it?

Edited by MrPin

15 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Let's say I coughed up the money for a DNA test, and put my name down as Manuel Gonzales. I think they would say I had Spanish Ancestry, but if I signed up as Erik Magnusson, what would be the outcome?

Your hair would change colour from black to blond, obviously.

I am pretty keen on researching my (our) ancestry. My own surname back to 1670 and direct lineage on my side back to 1545.

On my wife's side a researcher had already pushed back to 1365 and published it all online. Must have cost a lot of money. That is her 16 times great grandfather.

Most interesting is that I seem to have trodden in my own ancestors' footsteps for example moving away to within a field width of where they worked 200 or so years before. There are several similar examples on my side.

Equally good is visiting the tiny churches and hamlets that seems to have been home to many of our ancestors. Simply stunning places which I wouldn't have visited otherwise.

5 minutes ago, man o' the year said:

I am pretty keen on researching my (our) ancestry. My own surname back to 1670 and direct lineage on my side back to 1545.

On my wife's side a researcher had already pushed back to 1365 and published it all online. Must have cost a lot of money. That is her 16 times great grandfather.

Most interesting is that I seem to have trodden in my own ancestors' footsteps for example moving away to within a field width of where they worked 200 or so years before. There are several similar examples on my side.

Equally good is visiting the tiny churches and hamlets that seems to have been home to many of our ancestors. Simply stunning places which I wouldn't have visited otherwise.

Yes oddly I am now about 30 miles from where my grandfather was born.

Are they your ancestors or are they just you in different life existences?/Are you destined to keep returning until you get whatever it is right? Or is it just incredibly chance that you happen to be you and not one of the trillions of microbes and other life forms on this planet right now?

1 hour ago, stokiescum said:

1 hour ago, MrPin said:

Yes, they are nonsense.

There is no unique marker that makes you Irish and most definitely nothing that can give you the precision of 15%.

It's based upon particular markers being prevalent in certain areas and saying "aha - you have a marker common in Matabeleland therefore you must have some Matabelan ancestry, let's say 4%".  When of course you could just have that marker and have zero Matabelan ancestry.

Direct-to-consumer DNA tests typically work as promised in the fine print—they offer a look at which regions of the world are home to people with DNA signatures most similar to yours. For many, that is enough.

However, those results require generalizations about genetics of large populations of people throughout time and across the globe.

https://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/science/do-ancestry-dna-tests-actually-work?page=1

9 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Yes, they are nonsense.

There is no unique marker that makes you Irish and most definitely nothing that can give you the precision of 15%.

It's based upon particular markers being prevalent in certain areas and saying "aha - you have a marker common in Matabeleland therefore you must have some Matabelan ancestry, let's say 4%".  When of course you could just have that marker and have zero Matabelan ancestry.

https://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/science/do-ancestry-dna-tests-actually-work?page=1

There is a story of identical triplet sisters sending off their tests and all getting different results. In which case I'd suggest they are basically made up, with just enough truth present to avoid being prosecuted for fraud.

Some years ago one of the commercial DNA firms sold kits via Amazon. The reviews were mostly negative but funny to read. I got the impression that every Caucasian person had been told that they were, by implication, an Arab or a Negroid.

It seemed to be biased towards telling white Europeans or North Americans that they were not really white. I wonder if people, say in India or Uganda, are told that they really are depressed middle aged Caucasians who spent their lives commuting on the British rail network?

What about China? Is everyone descended from a Chinese person? Wong, Wong, Wong.

Edited by The Masked Tulip
typos

1 hour ago, MrPin said:

I think that is pretty much it.

I would like some induits to get tested but using random non-induit names and addresses.

Just now, The Masked Tulip said:

I think that is pretty much it.

I would like some induits to get tested but using random non-induit names and addresses.

I think it's today's astrology.o.O