• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Frank Hovis

Vegans Storm Brighton Steakhouse

This for me sums up the difference between vegetarians, who are perfectly normal people who have made a moral choice about what they eat, and vegans who are on a crusade.

A group of vegan activists stormed a Brighton steakhouse and played sounds of animals being slaughtered to shocked customers.

Demonstrators from Direct Action Everywhere entered Touro Steakhouse in Brighton and waved around signs and placards.

But most of the diners at the Brazilian-themed restaurant appeared unmoved by the protest and carried on talking and eating, even when the activists played the noise of a cow being killed and shouted 'It's not meat, it's violence' repeatedly.   

The incident was caught on camera and footage begins with protesters quietly walking into the restaurant while customers are eating their steaks.

6693810-6433151-The_group_posted_about_t

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6433151/Vegan-activists-storm-steakhouse-force-diners-listen-sounds-slaughter.html

You don't get extremist meat eaters who go into vegan restaurants with plates of bacon sandwiches, you don't get extremist omnivores or vegetarians full stop.

For some vegans though it's not a personal moral choice it's a whole belief system which they also wish to impose on everyone else.

NB - I am saying that all food extremists are vegans and very much not all vegans are food extremists before somebody pops up with an example of a non-nuts vegan of whom there will be, of course, many.

Can't make my mind up. 

I strongly believe people shouldn't impose personal dietary, philosophical, clothing, etc. preferences on others. 

Then again, we override that rule for cannibalism. People who don't approve of cannibalism actively try to prevent it happening. As far as vegans are concerned their action falls into this second category. 

Difficult one. 

6 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

This for me sums up the difference between vegetarians, who are perfectly normal people who have made a moral choice about what they eat, and vegans who are on a crusade.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6433151/Vegan-activists-storm-steakhouse-force-diners-listen-sounds-slaughter.html

You don't get extremist meat eaters who go into vegan restaurants with plates of bacon sandwiches, you don't get extremist omnivores or vegetarians full stop.

For some vegans though it's not a personal moral choice it's a whole belief system which they also wish to impose on everyone else.

NB - I am saying that all food extremists are vegans and very much not all vegans are food extremists before somebody pops up with an example of a non-nuts vegan of whom there will be, of course, many.

Its the Vitamin B12 deficiency. 

7 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

If you read the article it obviously livened up the diners evening. They were laughing at them and then jeered them out of the place. 

1 minute ago, Funn3r said:

Can't make my mind up. 

I strongly believe people shouldn't impose personal dietary, philosophical, clothing, etc. preferences on others. 

Then again, we override that rule for cannibalism. People who don't approve of cannibalism actively try to prevent it happening. As far as vegans are concerned their action falls into this second category. 

Difficult one. 

But not irresolvable.

Palm oil is bad because its production destroys coastal mangrove swamps.  Or is that shrimp farming.  D minus for research.

Anyway my point is that there are many negative impacts from the production of specific types of foodstuff but little if any protest.

I fully understand the choice not to eat meat; I made that moral choice not to do that and had I not been literally wasting away through lack of protein I would still not be eating meat. I know one ex-vegetarian in RL who gave it up because she missed bacon but I didn't miss meat at all.

That vegans believe something does not make it so.

4 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

If you read the article it obviously livened up the diners evening. They were laughing at them and then jeered them out of the place. 

I did.  It was entirely non-violent and fair play for that but not for trying to force your self-imposed rules upon somebody else.

7 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

That vegans believe something does not make it so.

Everything is made so because people believe it. There is nothing practically wrong with cannibalism, it is not poisonous, and in some circumstances even admired i.e. that plane crash where they had to eat the dead passengers until rescue arrived. But cannibalism is still completely ruled out because we all believe it shouldn't happen. 

1 minute ago, Funn3r said:

Everything is made so because people believe it. There is nothing practically wrong with cannibalism, it is not poisonous, and in some circumstances even admired i.e. that plane crash where they had to eat the dead passengers until rescue arrived. But cannibalism is still completely ruled out because we all believe it shouldn't happen. 

Speak for yourself.

I'd eat barbecued ISIS fighters.

10 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuru_(disease)

1 minute ago, bobo said:

OK didn't know about that but the cannibalism is the disease vector not the cause itself. Identical to mad cow disease where humans eat cow brains. 

Well I have completely put myself off my lunch now so going to gym instead. 

37 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I thought Vegans were all thin. The one on the right looks like a USSR shot putter.

9 minutes ago, maynardgravy said:

I thought Vegans were all thin. The one on the right looks like a USSR shot putter.

The only vegan I've known in real life was a right fat bastard because of the amount that he drank; this was at college when being fat was itself unusual.

45 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

Screechy young women. The diners should have touched them up as they walked around, might have converted a few.

58 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

The question for me is, why did they choose that particular restaurant? There must be hundreds of places in Brighton selling meat products.

29 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

Everything is made so because people believe it.

^ Good point well made. Here it is socially acceptable to eat some types of animal (cows & sheep are for food, rabbits may be food or pets, dogs are pets and never food). Other countries have different cultures - Asia comes to mind.

If I'm out for a quite meal, anyone moving into the restaurant to hold a disruptive protest would be unpopular - regardless  of who they are.

Just now, Hail the Tripod said:

The question for me is, why did they choose that particular restaurant? There must be hundreds of places in Brighton selling meat products.

It's a "Brazillian" Steakhouse so the core selling point is that they provide vast amounts of meat.

Unlike, say, Wetherspoons which does quite a few vegetarian and vegan options.

1 minute ago, Andersen said:

^ Good point well made. Here it is socially acceptable to eat some types of animal (cows & sheep are for food, rabbits may be food or pets, dogs are pets and never food). Other countries have different cultures - Asia comes to mind.

If I'm out for a quite meal, anyone moving into the restaurant to hold a disruptive protest would be unpopular - regardless  of who they are.

In Asia you might find that the kitchen staff come out with cleavers and insist these "baizuo" twats fuck off immediately.

3 minutes ago, Andersen said:

That's simple economics though.

If you raise plant eating animals then you get of the order of 1 animal calorie for every 100 vegetable calories input (and what else are you going to do with grass?).

If you raise a meat eating animal then you get of the order of 1 animal calorie for every 100 animal calories input; and you could have eaten those animal calories yourself.

So 100:1 return for a sheep, 10,000:1 return for a dog.

That's why you don't get farming systems producing dog for meat (or fox if you want to avoid the "I don't eat my pets" line).  It's tremendously inefficient.

Tedious wankers.

Personally I would have liked to have seen the kitchen staff/customers give them a fucking good kicking.

I don't give a toss about people's dietary choices but if some crusty knobhead thinks they have the right to disrupt my quiet enjoyment that I probably paid a few quid to take part in then they can shove it up their arses.

9 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

Tedious wankers.

Personally I would have liked to have seen the kitchen staff/customers give them a fucking good kicking.

I don't give a toss about people's dietary choices but if some crusty knobhead thinks they have the right to disrupt my quiet enjoyment that I probably paid a few quid to take part in then they can shove it up their arses.

Sadly that would have got the staff/customers arrested even though it'd be extremely satisfying. I'd have got a nice juicy bit of steak, rare with blood dripping out of it and ate it with my hands right in-front of them while flicking the blood at them accidentally.