DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

kennels

sarahbell

I suppose you're buying the business -- but I don't think it would make sense to purchase a kennels in this way -- not for normal folk, anyway.

Other than that, it fails on the location front.  Unless you love warehouses.

3 hours ago, sarahbell said:

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-55408584.html

interesting - very expensive
Three bedroomed residential property measuring 244.9 sq/m with an additional 675.63 sq/m of outbuildings plus further land, currently home to 96 dog kennels and outside areas

Exposed to people not going abroad as much-quite likely imho-and I couldn't think of a worse way to make a living than cleaning up other people's dog poo.

There's not even any acreage with it.

2 hours ago, sancho panza said:

Exposed to people not going abroad as much-quite likely imho-and I couldn't think of a worse way to make a living than cleaning up other people's dog poo.

There's not even any acreage with it.

Also very exposed to demographic shifts.  Anglo-saxons love dogs.  Asians love small dogs.  Africans often dislike dogs.  Middle Easterners often hate dogs.  

If your catchment area gets enriched, you could see a rapid drop in the available market...

Bricks & Mortar
2 hours ago, MrXxx said:

So, £200k turnover, out of that about £65k profit (35%?) at best, so a 8% return on £750k investment before you have paid yourself a salary...a good `investment`?

Remember you get a house as well.   Not sure how much a 3 bed in Bury is worth... and we'd have to assume the purchaser likes to drift off to sleep to the soothing sound of 100 barking dogs... but you should probably deduct that from the business case.
Suspect you might clear more than 35%.  Can't imagine too many costs, apart from the mortgage.

Bet the neighbours are hoping for a change of business use.  Cannabis farmers tend to keep themselves to themselves.

Nuts price.

Idiots are thinking they could knock it down and build houses.

Everyone who spend 10+ years doing some daft lifestyle business that fails to sell always get it in their heads they can knock it down and build houses.

Kennels and the like a re stupid business.

I get this sort of lunatic shit from my family and other people who are clueless about running a business and making a profit.

Ive nothing against lifestyle businesses - f that someone wants to run/do - but you need to be going into those will both eyes open.

You need to be paying no more than 100k for each 4k of profit.

Sure there's might be an element of the business allowing to keep an asset and speculate on it but ....

Most businesses require at least 2 people, so thats 2 x NMW year plus at least 4k for each 100k of cash invested the business.

10 minutes ago, spygirl said:

I get this sort of lunatic shit from my family and other people who are clueless about running a business and making a profit.

Ive nothing against lifestyle businesses - f that someone wants to run/do - but you need to be going into those will both eyes open.

Sure there's might be an element of the business allowing to keep an asset and speculate on it but ....

Most businesses require at least 2 people, so thats 2 x NMW year plus at least 4k for each 100k of cash invested the business.

Don’t you fancy a holiday let?  You could call it captain’s retreat or summat. :)

8 minutes ago, One percent said:

Don’t you fancy a holiday let?  You could call it captain’s retreat or summat. :)

Ill have to PM an idiot scam my sisters and mother came up for my money.

6 hours ago, spygirl said:

Ill have to PM an idiot scam my sisters and mother came up for my money.

It always makes me laugh that the ones with the best business ideas are always the same ones without any money!...OK, I appreciate correlation doesn't mean causation, but it does seem to occur on a statistically regular basis :-) :-) :-)

31 minutes ago, MrXxx said:

It always makes me laugh that the ones with the best business ideas are always the same ones without any money!...OK, I appreciate correlation doesn't mean causation, but it does seem to occur on a statistically regular basis :-) :-) :-)

There's nothing 'best' about it.

It would involve me putting ~1m into a venture whilst my sister#1 'makes scones' and sister#2 does fuck all.

Proper dog kennels are always run by dodgy sorts IME. The kind of person who doesn't realise they have to pay VAT, the kind of person who doesn't realise they have to pay staff, etc.

And when they do realise and HMRC come knocking they have to cut right back. Funnily enough I read about a "dog rescue center"  the other day that took in and rehomed dogs, they got raided at the weekend and all 19 dogs were stolen. Oh no! How awful, who could do such a thing. Turns out it was a local animal welfare charity (allegedly) because the dogs were being held in such appalling conditions...

Rescued from a rescue center, we've gone full circle.

2 hours ago, spygirl said:

There's nothing 'best' about it.

It would involve me putting ~1m into a venture whilst my sister#1 'makes scones' and sister#2 does fuck all.

You promised me a pm of the details of this. o.O

I'm surprised because our local kennels seems to be doing very well (but is under half the size).  But those "Filleted" accounts suggest it's hardly trading.  Anyways 100 dogs, no thanks.  And ugly as dog poo!

10 hours ago, spygirl said:

Spot on, and you're being generous.  Gotta look at the alternatives for your money.  4% is relatively easy elsewhere with a lot less work.  Only makes sense if you can build a business to sell or franchise on.

Just now, Harley said:

Spot on, and you're being generous.  Gotta look at the alternatives for your money.  4% is relatively easy elsewhere with a lot less work.  Only makes sense if you can build a business to sell or franchise on.

4% was the floor, as you ought to be able to get that with absolutely no fucking effort by investing.

In reality, you need to be somewhere between 15-20%.

I have this arugment with my mum, when we talk about the holiday lets that curse our village.

Once you take out costs - cleaning ,maintenance and at least one masive drity proest every 2 years, requiring a steam clean, there's no money in it.

Thats fine if it your Nans cottage that hyou are letting out as you dont want to see it go.

But I reckon a good 50% are owned by people with fiannce.

At the moment they will be losing ~5% a year.

IR go up and pricess go down and business rates brought in - fucked.

Dog walking the way to go.  Lady turned up each Friday to collect neighbours cash and would see her walk out the house adding it to a huge wodge of cash.  Can't believe she actually walked the dogs either judging by her obesity! 

1 hour ago, spunko said:

Proper dog kennels are always run by dodgy sorts IME. The kind of person who doesn't realise they have to pay VAT, the kind of person who doesn't realise they have to pay staff, etc.

And when they do realise and HMRC come knocking they have to cut right back. Funnily enough I read about a "dog rescue center"  the other day that took in and rehomed dogs, they got raided at the weekend and all 19 dogs were stolen. Oh no! How awful, who could do such a thing. Turns out it was a local animal welfare charity (allegedly) because the dogs were being held in such appalling conditions...

Rescued from a rescue center, we've gone full circle.

Proper dog kennels are run by dog lovers who are pissing their redundancy money away on 'doing something they love'

Profitable dog kennels are run by people who'll shove as many dogs in as few a kennels as possible. This might not be too much as a problem, dogs are a pack animal not little people.

3 minutes ago, Harley said:

Dog walking the way to go.  Lady turned up each Friday to collect neighbours cash and would see her walk out the house adding it to a huge wodge of cash.  Can't believe she actually walked the dogs either judging by her obesity! 

Shed have tied up y the chip shop.

Im no joking.

Just go down park, let it off lead. Eat chips.

Dog walkers are typically people whove failed the very low hurdle of being a child minder.

2 minutes ago, spygirl said:

4% was the floor, as you ought to be able to get that with absolutely no fucking effort by investing.

In reality, you need to be somewhere between 15-20%.

I have this arugment with my mum, when we talk about the holiday lets that curse our village.

Once you take out costs - cleaning ,maintenance and at least one masive drity proest every 2 years, requiring a steam clean, there's no money in it.

Thats fine if it your Nans cottage that hyou are letting out as you dont want to see it go.

But I reckon a good 50% are owned by people with fiannce.

At the moment they will be losing ~5% a year.

IR go up and pricess go down and business rates brought in - fucked.

I was a forced landlord once while living overseas.  Never saw a profit for any of the years.  Sure a lucky leveraged capital gain but no profit.

Capital gain should be the icing, not the cake!

But people can be so eager.

Archived