• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
montecristo

Rip off Import Duties

I purchased some supplements from the US.  The cost including shipping was $390.  Just got a text from DHL saying I need to pay £175 for "importation charges".  I was expecting a charge but not over half the cost of the product.  Anyone else experience high DHL costs?

1 minute ago, MrPin said:

No. You usually have to pay some tax and a customs charge. I have bought guitars, and other stuff from the USA, and expect no more than 20%.

Exactly.   Looking at the invoice the $390 includes a discount of $250.  Have customs calculated the duty from the original price and not the actual price I paid?

6 minutes ago, montecristo said:

I purchased some supplements from the US.  The cost including shipping was $390.  Just got a text from DHL saying I need to pay £175 for "importation charges".  I was expecting a charge but not over half the cost of the product.  Anyone else experience high DHL costs?

Happens all the time in CH. That's why people get things sent to friends in neighbouring France.

12 minutes ago, montecristo said:

Exactly.   Looking at the invoice the $390 includes a discount of $250.  Have customs calculated the duty from the original price and not the actual price I paid?

Doesn't matter what you paid -- the duties are based on the value of the product.  Normally this is the price paid, and it certainly makes things easier, but HMRC can, and do, disagree.  I think they're being a bit more eager to put an increased price on shipments for tax purposes because so many shipments are (have been) deliberately mispriced on the shipping label to reduce the tax liability for the customer.

1 minute ago, dgul said:

Doesn't matter what you paid -- the duties are based on the value of the product.  Normally this is the price paid, and it certainly makes things easier, but HMRC can, and do, disagree.  I think they're being a bit more eager to put an increased price on shipments for tax purposes because so many shipments are (have been) deliberately mispriced on the shipping label to reduce the tax liability for the customer.

Yes, this happened to me.   Can't remember the item exactly-  a spare part for a construction machine.  A US based supplier had it available much cheaper than it could be had in UK.  I ended up paying more in taxes than I did for the item.  From memory, my payment to the supplier was about £50, and I paid more than that to HMRC to get it released.
I was expecting some VAT, and a wee bit of tax, so the difference was probably only £30 or so.  So I just paid the money.  Didn't see how I could fight it without costing more.

The US supplier had again, put on the documents the full price, and the discount.

Just now, dgul said:

I suspect the labelling of the product shows the price before discount applied and HRMC are using this price.  I just emailed the company if they can confirm the labelling shows the full price history.

I have bought a few things from the US on Ebay.  But i only do it if the dollar prices are shown for extra import tax and are taken at time of payment.

Usually the carriage is already shown. I think when doing it like that Pitney Bowes generate the invoice. That way there are no nasty surprises at this end.

2 minutes ago, Bricks & Mortar said:

Yes, this happened to me.   Can't remember the item exactly-  a spare part for a construction machine.  A US based supplier had it available much cheaper than it could be had in UK.  I ended up paying more in taxes than I did for the item.  From memory, my payment to the supplier was about £50, and I paid more than that to HMRC to get it released.
I was expecting some VAT, and a wee bit of tax, so the difference was probably only £30 or so.  So I just paid the money.  Didn't see how I could fight it without costing more.

The US supplier had again, put on the documents the full price, and the discount.

Yep I think this is what has happened.  I just emailed them to confirm and hopefully it might prevent the fuckwits adding the full history price.

I've always got lucky with stuff from the US as it depends on the value, how the seller words things and luck. The one I expected to yet clobbered with (3 geiger counters) went straight through with no charges.

Don't know how random it is these days as  US prices are now too steep anyway.

1 minute ago, Chewing Grass said:

I've always got lucky with stuff from the US as it depends on the value, how the seller words things and luck. The one I expected to yet clobbered with (3 geiger counters) went straight through with no charges.

The supplement I bought (NAD+) is only produced in the US.  I thought I read somewhere that import duties are only applied to products that you can buy in the country that it is being imported in to.

4 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Do you have a spare Geiger counter? I have a need for one.

1 minute ago, Chewing Grass said:

Classic 1960s Dr Strangelove model finished in yellow with black bakelight knobs and a pointy pointer.

Sounds like that would look good in my shed. I had a collection of odd electrical devices which went auction when I moved.

28 minutes ago, montecristo said:

The supplement I bought (NAD+) is only produced in the US.  I thought I read somewhere that import duties are only applied to products that you can buy in the country that it is being imported in to.

What is NAD+ ? Is it liquified choirboy testicles?

I bought some Lions Mane supplements (after listening to a Joe Rogan/Paul Stamets podcast) and nowhere on the website did it say they were coming from the USA, in fact there was even a union jack flag on the page - I also got hit by a DHL, import duty invoice.

6 minutes ago, Reck B said:

What is NAD+ ? Is it liquified choirboy testicles?

I bought some Lions Mane supplements (after listening to a Joe Rogan/Paul Stamets podcast) and nowhere on the website did it say they were coming from the USA, in fact there was even a union jack flag on the page - I also got hit by a DHL, import duty invoice.

https://blog.bulletproof.com/nadh/

1 hour ago, Chewing Grass said:

The one I expected to yet clobbered with (3 geiger counters) went straight through with no charges.

This leaves more questions than answers!

..... And why 3?!

Edited by InLikeFlynn