Jump to content
DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Sub £100 3D printer


onlyme

Recommended Posts

Remarkable how much printers and the components that make them have fallen in price now that one of a few common designs for the frame/hot end have been established.

Will come as a kit so some fairly extensive build and testing involved, but doing so you do really get to know the machine and can fix the thing if anything breaks. Not a bad project for anyone looking with an interest in trying it out and having something to expertise their or their child's minds during Xmas or the dark evenings.

This link for an A8 design printer, reviews and examples on YT.

Examples -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/High-Precision-3D-Printer-Prusa-I3-LCD-Controller-MK8-Extruder-MK3-Heated-bed/372473954102?hash=item56b92d7f36:g:o2wAAOSwoYxbe8Qy

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A8-3D-Printer-RepRap-Prusa-i3-LCD-DIY-kit-MK8-Extruder-w-100m-PLA-Filament/392181238728?hash=item5b4fd2cbc8:g:6nsAAOSwuNNb3thY:rk:9:pf:0

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Happy Renting
21 hours ago, onlyme said:

Remarkable how much printers and the components that make them have fallen in price now that one of a few common designs for the frame/hot end have been established.

Will come as a kit so some fairly extensive build and testing involved, but doing so you do really get to know the machine and can fix the thing if anything breaks. Not a bad project for anyone looking with an interest in trying it out and having something to expertise their or their child's minds during Xmas or the dark evenings.

This link for an A8 design printer, reviews and examples on YT.

Examples -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/High-Precision-3D-Printer-Prusa-I3-LCD-Controller-MK8-Extruder-MK3-Heated-bed/372473954102?hash=item56b92d7f36:g:o2wAAOSwoYxbe8Qy

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A8-3D-Printer-RepRap-Prusa-i3-LCD-DIY-kit-MK8-Extruder-w-100m-PLA-Filament/392181238728?hash=item5b4fd2cbc8:g:6nsAAOSwuNNb3thY:rk:9:pf:0

 

The first things to make with one are some spare parts for it.

 

I thought that the plastic parts of earlier versions of RepRap could be printed by an early RepRap. Looking at the A8, I doubt it could print A8 parts.

Presumably this is why we are not now waist deep in RapRaps.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Happy Renting said:

The first things to make with one are some spare parts for it.

 

I thought that the plastic parts of earlier versions of RepRap could be printed by an early RepRap. Looking at the A8, I doubt it could print A8 parts.

Presumably this is why we are not now waist deep in RapRaps.

Yes they could but realistically still a lot of other components were required and the early rod ones were tricky to get alignment right and staying right  which is critical for good prints.The prints were fairly complex, lengthy to print, large in number and decent filament expensive. Most troublesome pieces on mine were the hot end and stepper driver chips so never needed to print spare frame parts. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Happy Renting

If i ever decide I do not have enough plastic Christmas cracker novelties, I will buy one.

I think a small CNC machine would be more useful for my DIY projects.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
3 hours ago, sarahbell said:

That one is quite a large build area and height, for a starter something smaller and more desktop style would be a good starting point Gearbest have some in the £120 range at the moment, the prices do seem to be bouncing around a lot, Note the cheap end are kit builds so some time is required to put the together but no bad thing in a way as it makes upgrades/running repairs easier.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, onlyme said:

That one is quite a large build area and height, for a starter something smaller and more desktop style would be a good starting point Gearbest have some in the £120 range at the moment, the prices do seem to be bouncing around a lot, Note the cheap end are kit builds so some time is required to put the together but no bad thing in a way as it makes upgrades/running repairs easier.

Is it that big?
husband has ordered one to replace his current one. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, sarahbell said:

Is it that big?
husband has ordered one to replace his current one. 

Not massively so, just a larger footprint and looks like a pretty tall design with lots of headroom up to small vase size, many of the 3d printers especially when they came out were pretty constrained in their size.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Are you sure this isn't the Lexmark of the 3d printing world, i.e. they reel you into buying a cheap printer but then the cartridges (or equivalent) are extremely expensive. :o

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, spunko said:

Are you sure this isn't the Lexmark of the 3d printing world, i.e. they reel you into buying a cheap printer but then the cartridges (or equivalent) are extremely expensive. :o

Only consumable is filament - standard sizing is generally 3mm and 1.75mm made of an increasingly varied range of plastics and properties as well as the usual PLA and ABS so no real chance of a tie in like inkjet/laser printers. Bits and pieces will need to be repaired over time - the nozzles can get terminally blocked, moving mechanical parts may wear but generally most parts off the shelf of replaceable items that are similar will suffice. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 02/02/2019 at 16:02, sarahbell said:

Is it that big?
husband has ordered one to replace his current one. 

Had another look at the A2 - things I like about that a lot are the extrusion frame build, the one I built yonks ago was based on extrusion rather than the early repraps that were steel rod - the whole rod arrangement was a bit of a pig to set up dimensionally and get it really stable on those, aluminium extrusion rocks in comparison and easy to get it set just right.  In comparison components at the time for the build were the thick end of £1000. I bought the printed parts from the US, Aluminium profile from robotics component supplier and rest of bits from all over the place including Ebay. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Inoperational Bumblebee said:

Are there any that I could run using Linux rather than Windows yet?

I'd imagine most. I run my Creality Ender 3 using only Linux. FreeCAD to design, Cura to slice and also Octopi on a raspberry pi for remote monitoring.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Inoperational Bumblebee said:

Are there any that I could run using Linux rather than Windows yet?

Any 3D printer that has an SD card will do it - usually you have two ways to print - tethered (which is usually window based and the manufacturer's software setup) or from the GCODE file loaded onto SD. You need a CAD program to generate the 3D definition as an .STL file and then a slicer to convert that to GCODE commands to build the print in layers, the slicer  needs to be given the correct parameters for the printer  (stepper motor steps etc for scale for example).  

Diag below - remove Printer Communication program and replace with SD file load. What you miss going via SD card is the live view on screen of the process, which does admittedly help when first setting up and looks nice. 

 

image.png.69f6bab7d8d4cf3d29657df6b5568407.png

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Inoperational Bumblebee said:

Thank you both. I'm sure my wife will appreciate more crap turning up in the house. :D

3D printers are great, you can produce your own custom crap and not have to hide the packages as they drop through the door, they just magically appear out of nowhere,

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...