• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
sarahbell

Eco bricks

1 hour ago, sarahbell said:

https://www.ecobricks.org

So you stuff all your plastics into bottles and then you've got bottles that are full of plastic. People are using them as furniture. Where's the fire safety certificate?

You don't need a fire safety certificate because 99.999999999% of the time the eco-warrior will make their first Ecobrick, gleefully post their facebook happy face with said Ecobrick, then make another dozen over the next month, then post a hurried update, then leave them in the back of the shed for 5 years, then shove them in the bin.

4 minutes ago, dgul said:

You don't need a fire safety certificate because 99.999999999% of the time the eco-warrior will make their first Ecobrick, gleefully post their facebook happy face with said Ecobrick, then make another dozen over the next month, then post a hurried update, then leave them in the back of the shed for 5 years, then shove them in the bin.

Harsh but a very accurate foreseeing of the likeliest outcome!

I like that the first thing built on the website is a huge model of a snake.  Which is a big lump of compressed plastic on the ground that will slowly fall apart and spread the plastic waste into the surrounding area.  Which is better than burning it.  Not.

Characters-Ibu-Sufi.gif

Ibu Sofi couldn’t bear to throw away her plastic and have it dumped in the local river, so she saved it for three years. Then she met the Ecobrick… and she has been packing ever since!  Ibu Sofi has gone on to teach hundreds of folks in her city how to go zero waste! 

If it's combining smaller parts of plastic waste into one larger plastic container, and then being dumped in Indonesian rivers I suppose that's a small step up. xD

14 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

There's a bit on the site with comments from people saying "NOW WHAT DO I DO WITH THIS BLOCK OF BLOODY PLASTIC?" 

I couldn't get the main comments to open but I could get the Facebook comments with this my favourite.

Adin Zenitram
It is attainable. Everyone should do this for the generation to come.

Wow Daddy; how marvellous you have left us children a big pile of plastic bottles filled with plastic waste.

3 hours ago, sarahbell said:

https://www.ecobricks.org

So you stuff all your plastics into bottles and then you've got bottles that are full of plastic. People are using them as furniture. Where's the fire safety certificate?

This is inspirational.

I'm off to Tescos to buy more stuff in plastic bottles so I can make ecobricks too.