• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
sarahbell

Shop shop shoptastic flop

When did you last go into a shopping centre?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. When did you last go to a shopping centre? (out-of-town , or in-town, NOT supermarket!)

• Today
    • Yesterday
    • Within last week
    • Within last month
    • Within last 3 months
    • Within last 6 months
    • Within last year
    • Within last 2 years
    • 3+ years ago

6 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46383066

Shares in the owner of shopping centres including Lakeside and the Trafford Centre have plunged after a £2.8bn takeover bid was abandoned.

Too many shops spoil the broth?

That will be another 1% of my pension tomorrow then!

Oh the joys of private sector money purchase.

4 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Come on; which council is brave enough to make a bid?  Maybe several of them could club together; they could lose billions!

If they are really savvy they could get a double income stream, a rental income stream from the shops and an interest income stream from the off-balance sheet company they loan money to to buy the shops...

2 minutes ago, 201p said:

It must be BREXIT!

Even in the US footfall to Malls is dropping. People aren't going to these places as much.

I’ve stopped going.  My nearest, the Stratford one is full of feral gangs fight each other and menacing shoppers. Lakeside, I started a thread on that entitled shopping with SO19. Police with massive guns patrolling. They clearly knew something they were not sharing with the rest of us. 

Why risk  your life for a bit of tat you don’t really need?  

Share prices of US mall companies have plunged also.

Here in the UK big players like Debenhams are desperate and looking to renegotiate rents - Debenhams is a very good example of a thriving business that should have done very well out of online shopping but its bosses just seem to have run the company into the ground. It is shocking how crap so many UK company etailer sites are - says a lot about the UK's handsomely paid bosses IMPO.

You can see the dearth of ideas with these malls - where is the great business idea to turn them around? Nothing.

As these malls become increasingly dangerous to visit you would think that they would be pushing security and safety. At the same time they limit the free parking alienating customers and, well, just wank, wank, wank. They deserve to fail.

1 minute ago, One percent said:

I’ve stopped going.  My nearest, the Stratford one is full of feral gangs fight each other and menacing shoppers. Lakeside, I started a thread on that entitled shopping with SO19. Police with massive guns patrolling. They clearly knew something they were not sharing with the rest of us. 

Why risk  your life for a bit of tat you don’t really need?  

Yep, you just beat to it. You run the risk of being mugged or much worse visiting these places. Your life might be fecked or finished. The scum who does it won't even get told off.

2 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Share prices of US mall companies have plunged also.

Here in the UK big players like Debenhams are desperate and looking to renegotiate rents - Debenhams is a very good example of a thriving business that should have done very well out of online shopping but its bosses just seem to have run the company into the ground. It is shocking how crap so many UK company etailer sites are - says a lot about the UK's handsomely paid bosses IMPO.

You can see the dearth of ideas with these malls - where is the great business idea to turn them around? Nothing.

As these malls become increasingly dangerous to visit you would think that they would be pushing security and safety. At the same time they limit the free parking alienating customers and, well, just wank, wank, wank. They deserve to fail.

Yep, you just beat to it. You run the risk of being mugged or much worse visiting these places. Your life might be fecked or finished. The scum who does it won't even get told off.

👍

8 minutes ago, leonardratso said:

the thing is, you dont actually have to visit one really, i havent been to one in years, but im still here, so they are really unnecessary to be honest.

I have been looking for a new poll idea for ages and you have inspired me with your post. :D

I voted 3+ years ago, although I spent 2 minutes at an out of town one last week to pick up something from Argos, but I haven't been to a high street or out of town one ever for the "sport" of shopping. I had a girlfriend (early days, you go along with it) that I followed around the shops once...I'm not sure she realised I was there, or anybody else.

1 hour ago, Dipsy said:

Internet, why bother with the extortionate parking, the lumpen proletariat when it's available at the click of mouse?

Another word I had to look up, "lumpenproletariat", not sure what it means yet though! (not trying to start a barny, it's just a big entry on wikipedia)

Went to lakeside. Kind of, two weeks ago. Namely I went to Ikea and B and Q. Didnt actually go in the complex itself. Last time i went midweek into the main complex, it seemed to be full of small gangs of african youth outside every shop looking as though they were about to stab you. Not a very pleasant experience. 

Plus, it took about 90 mins to from Ikea to the M25 (what should take about 3 minutes) 

This was a weekday, not even rush hour. 

Doubt i'll go back again. Only went this time after giving up on the far preferable bluewater (dartford fucked)

3 minutes ago, PatronizingGit said:

Went to lakeside. Kind of, two weeks ago. Namely I went to Ikea and B and Q. Didnt actually go in the complex itself. Last time i went midweek into the main complex, it seemed to be full of small gangs of african youth outside every shop looking as though they were about to stab you. Not a very pleasant experience. 

Plus, it took about 90 mins to from Ikea to the M25 (what should take about 3 minutes) 

This was a weekday, not even rush hour. 

Doubt i'll go back again. Only went this time after giving up on the far preferable bluewater (dartford fucked)

Ah, that might explain the presence of SO19 then. 

My youngest has threatened to drag me there on Saturday. 

If I don’t post from then on, scour the press for reports of my demise. o.O

5 minutes ago, Kwyjibo said:

Another word I had to look up, "lumpenproletariat", not sure what it means yet though! (not trying to start a barny, it's just a big entry on wikipedia)

I don't know much about the Marxist theory definition, but I'm sure I came across it in a Wodehouse novel. The "lumpen" bit means ragged. I use it to describe the individuals who infest shopping centres all day as they don't work and claiming benefits doesn't take that long these days. I look upon Dawn of the Dead as a documentary.

15 minutes ago, Dipsy said:

I don't know much about the Marxist theory definition, but I'm sure I came across it in a Wodehouse novel. The "lumpen" bit means ragged. I use it to describe the individuals who infest shopping centres all day as they don't work and claiming benefits doesn't take that long these days. I look upon Dawn of the Dead as a documentary.

I love a word I have never heard of before, it just sends me off on a learning tangent. Thank you.

1 minute ago, Kwyjibo said:

I love a word I have never heard of before, it just sends me off on a learning tangent. Thank you.

If you're like me you'll end up in Wikipedia all night, just clicking on links. 

1 hour ago, SpectrumFX said:

I go most weekdays at lunch time.

I rarely buy anything. I mostly just walk about looking at women's arses.

xD

Another area where online’s much better TBH.

4 hours ago, leonardratso said:

the thing is, you dont actually have to visit one really, i havent been to one in years, but im still here, so they are really unnecessary to be honest.

4 hours ago, spunko said:

I have been looking for a new poll idea for ages and you have inspired me with your post. :D

A poll on whether leonardratso should still be here?