• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

Foreign aid spending; if only my wages went up to this extent

What is it for?

There is free trade, any country can compete.

It's not whitey holding people down.  Singapore, Japan, China, South Korea have done brilliantly.

Some countries are just crap because of the idiot people who live in them.  Giving them money won't change that.

Stop it all now because it is waste.

2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

What is it for?

It's not whitey holding people down.  Singapore, Japan, China, South Korea have done brilliantly.

Some countries are just crap because of the idiot people who live in them.  Giving them money won't change that.

👍

Nothing p**ses me off more than virtue signallers giving my money away to people who for the most part despise us. The foreign aid budget is a disaster. We should give direct emergency relief aid only on humanitarian grounds and even then in the form of tents, food, medical equipment etc. Never ever hard cash.

1 minute ago, SillyBilly said:

Nothing p**ses me off more than virtue signallers giving my money away to people who for the most part despise us. The foreign aid budget is a disaster. We should give direct emergency relief aid only on humanitarian grounds and even then in the form of tents, food, medical equipment etc. Never ever hard cash.

👍

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

What is it for?

I'm sure that in the coming years when the UK has been dragged down to their level the favor will be returned and the UK will be receiving aid handouts.....

Just now, null; said:

I'm sure that in the coming years when the UK has been dragged down to their level the favor will be returned and the UK will be receiving aid handouts.....

Yes.  I am also convinced that the Sudan will start giving us money.

53 minutes ago, SillyBilly said:

Nothing p**ses me off more than virtue signallers (especially the wealthy ones) giving my money away to people who for the most part despise us. The foreign aid budget is a disaster. We should give direct emergency relief aid only on humanitarian grounds and even then in the form of tents, food, medical equipment etc. Never ever hard cash.

Improved that for you.

What is it for?

Its pretty much everywherr but Africa.

2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Yes.  I am also convinced that the Sudan will start giving us money.

Most Afircan countries should be very wealthy, they have vast natural resources.

Anyway, if not Sudan then the EU will come to our rescue? Oh, bugger....

Seriously, just for a moment, that is the only good reason I can think of for remaining in the EU, that one day we may get more out of it than we pay in. Although I would wager that when it came to that time our 'leaders' would go and negotiate some crap deal that means we get nothing, or the EU would just screw us over.

Foreign aid. All part of the wet dream of globalisation thinkers in attempting to create a world with no boundaries.

IMO those type of thinkers are deluded.

I would bet my house that a happy clappy integrated homogeneous class of humans will never emerge. Even when my house is in ruins through natural wear and tear it still won’t have happened IMO.

These days I give nothing to human aid causes because nothing has changed. I will give to a specifically outlined local cause though e.g. raising funds for a fella who suffered a brain injury but after rehabilitation and with low personal income through being unable to work was keen to get around. He now has a personalised three wheel motorised vehicle that he accesses and drives in his wheelchair. Great to see him around the town regularly. Glad I donated to that.

1 hour ago, SillyBilly said:

We can also help more with our expertise, for example with Ebola the WHO was rubbish with their response whereas the UK played an important role in helping bring it under control (and at the same time collected data and studied the outbreak to help for future similar outbreaks).

This is money for the British middle and upper classes so they can have nice cushty work overseas, pay for their kids to go to private school and get backhanders when handing out crooked contracts to people of colour.

A real Brexit, a house price crash and a small govt right wing leader of the Tory party and the Tory party could win enough seats to get this down to next to nothing.

Its about 450GBP for every single working person in the UK

1 hour ago, Band said:

This is money for the British middle and upper classes so they can have nice cushty work overseas, pay for their kids to go to private school and get backhanders when handing out crooked contracts to people of colour.

A real Brexit, a house price crash and a small govt right wing leader of the Tory party and the Tory party could win enough seats to get this down to next to nothing.

Its about 450GBP for every single working person in the UK

Yep, or well over 500 per household. A not insignificant chunk of council tax/local government pension racket. 

1 hour ago, spygirl said:

Its pretty much everywherr but Africa.

A lot of it ends up in David Millibands pockets, so I hear. 

7 hours ago, One percent said:

I don't mind there being some state level foreign aid.  Certainly, sometimes things are best done at a state level...

...but there's always a but:

• I don't want people to be more generous on my behalf.  Maybe 0.3% of GNI might be about right, 0.7% seems a bit high.
  • You know, like all those other countries that have foreign aid at about 0.3%, like the USA, Germany, France, Japan, Canada, etc, etc.
  • Hold on -- wtf happened at the end of the 90's!
  • I also don't trust GNI or GDP -- it might be a nice %age increase in GNI, but at the same time they're inventing things to put into GNI that aren't real, like the massive imputed rent component -- 0.7% might actually be 1% with the 1990 contribution of imputed rent to GNI. 
  • I also don't want state aid spent on countries that have quite a bit of wealth -- eg, it doesn't make sense to me for the UK to distribute £50m to India each year, when India itself has a state aid budget to other countries of £1bln, spends £100m on rockets to the moon and can have change left over to spend £300m on the worlds tallest statue.  If the country has problems with poverty they could just have a rocket that gets halfway to the moon, or perhaps knock 30 metres off the top of the statue.

10 hours ago, Errol said:

There shouldn't be any foreign aid. Cut it to zero.

Assuming Brexit happens we should be handing it out to facilitate trade agreements; use it as sensible countries do - as a bribe from the UK to a sovereign nation for preferential trade terms.

Assuming Brexit happens we should be handing it out to facilitate trade agreements; use it as sensible countries do - as a bribe from the UK to a sovereign nation for preferential trade terms.

I always thought it was a little bit ironic that we don't have free trade agreements with third world countries (protectionism on our / Europe's part) where if we purchased more easily from these countries they would probably thrive independently and build their own export markets and generate their own wealth.

Instead we refuse to trade with them of favourable terms,   but give them aid money instead.

Perhaps I don't understand the complexities..  but it seems a bit silly to me.

2 minutes ago, Libspero said:

I always thought it was a little bit ironic that we don't have free trade agreements with third world countries (protectionism on our / Europe's part) where if we purchased more easily from these countries they would probably thrive independently and build their own export markets and generate their own wealth.

Instead we refuse to trade with them of favourable terms,   but give them aid money instead.

Perhaps I don't understand the complexities..  but it seems a bit silly to me.

I doubt that they would suddenly thrive but I do agree your main point.